Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum 2

• Please log in to reply
2392 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (164 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (129 votes [78.66%])

Percentage of vote: 78.66%

2. No (35 votes [21.34%])

Percentage of vote: 21.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2371 ONLINE   Bluto10

Bluto10

PROUD DON!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,967 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 07:14 PM

domestic ak

You don't give a man like Bluto a drink in those piddly little glasses. Give him the bloody bottle.

#2372 ONLINE   Sooper-hanz

Sooper-hanz

Great as etc.., etc..,

• Members
  • 20,689 posts
  • Joined 12-November 15

Posted Yesterday, 11:10 PM

AK has made that classic Dundee Utd fan error of being a cock.

limericks etc..,

#2373 OFFLINE   alscotoz

alscotoz

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,083 posts
  • Joined 05-August 11

Posted Today, 07:45 AM

same as folk that booze in Irish bars

plastic/real/both?

Never argue with an I D I O T . They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#2374 OFFLINE   BrianFaePerth

BrianFaePerth

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 14,897 posts
  • Joined 26-January 11

Posted Today, 08:04 AM

AK has made that classic Dundee Utd fan error of being a cock.

It’s the only real thing about him
Byen e' Bergen, laget e' Brann

#2375 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Today, 09:30 AM

Independence armageddon will get us there, I assume your vote will change now!

I don't have time for your larger post just now, which revolves around trying to create an angle over disputing wording.

Ultimately in 2017, an SNP MP said he was confident there would be "concrete proposals" for pensions in place before the next referendum.

So clearly in his eyes, the waffle they have offered previously does not amount to "concrete proposals".

I agree with him for various reasons, not least the fact they would not even consider the pensionable age for future pensioners until after a successful vote.

"When you're the only sane person, you look like the only insane person." 

- Criss Jami, "Diotima, Battery, Electric Personality"

#2376 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Today, 09:47 AM

Cant be bothered arguing so just going to post pics
Have a nice day clydeside
3-A35-C882-638-F-4908-A6-C6-1-B66-E829-F

As For Fecks Sake says, this is meaningless without comparative figures.

And its not good to talk of average wages - high earners totally skew the averages.  Median figures are much more informative.

64% of the irish earn less than the "average" wage for example.

https://www.thejourn...562071-Apr2019/

Ireland is all smoke and mirrors.  Its claimed prosperity actually masks a lot of grinding poverty and a homelessness crisis which has endured for years.

Here is Varadkar getting snubbed on the campaign trail currently:    

The number of people who are in emergency accommodation has doubled in the last few years.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/05/dublin-homelessness-crisis-jars-with-narrative-of-irish-economic-boom

In the current election build up, Fianna Fail have changed housing policy 3 times within 1 week.

https://gript.ie/ff-...licy-this-week/

Their health service makes the SNP look halfway competent. A man fell off a hospital trolley recently and was found next to it with a broken neck.  The formal response to this stated that the hospital cant accept blame because he might have already had a broken neck which had gone unnoticed.

https://gript.ie/harris-must-go/

Their politics is a joke, with all major parties having identical policies and everyone is 110% pro-EU, like how popular Hitler was in the 1930s.

Really Ireland benefits a small, pro-EU political / public sector elite and few others.  They are incahoots with international corporate bodies (apple / pharma companies etc) who treat the place like a tax haven.

Of course, crucially, their Government is just a local department of the EU.  They have no real power or independence. 

If they vote for the wrong thing, they have to vote again - happened twice so far.  They kid themselves this doesnt happen.

They have to get brussel's approval for their budgets.  Why do the SNP want to give other such power over Scotland?  Currently Holyrood alone signs off Scotlands Budgets.

I genuinely think Ireland is a joke country and would hate Scotland to be like that.  

Much better a strong Scotland, within a strong United Kingdom.

#2377 OFFLINE   Bad_Mobby

Bad_Mobby

Jon Bon Stovie

• Members
  • 23,101 posts
  • Joined 06-October 11

Posted Today, 09:54 AM

^ boy’s probably just anti-poof and doesn’t want Varadkars jizzy mitts touching him

TPFKATGLA 

#2378 ONLINE   Henry

Henry

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 17,951 posts
  • Joined 16-January 06

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

jizzy mitts 

Good band name

#2379 ONLINE   milne_afc

milne_afc

EDGELORD(nonce)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts
  • Joined 28-July 08

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

Also, Cavers *other* holiday tale
<p>

#2380 ONLINE   Sooper-hanz

Sooper-hanz

Great as etc.., etc..,

• Members
  • 20,689 posts
  • Joined 12-November 15

Posted Today, 12:18 PM

Bad_Mobby, on 24 Jan 2020 - 09:54 AM, said:snapback.png

jizzy mitts 

As H said good band name,  Sandra Soiledpants and the Jizzy Mitts

Edited by Sooper-hanz, Today, 12:18 PM.

limericks etc..,

#2381 OFFLINE   Foster14

Foster14

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08

Posted Today, 12:59 PM

I don't have time for your larger post just now, which revolves around trying to create an angle over disputing wording.

Ultimately in 2017, an SNP MP said he was confident there would be "concrete proposals" for pensions in place before the next referendum.

So clearly in his eyes, the waffle they have offered previously does not amount to "concrete proposals".

I agree with him for various reasons, not least the fact they would not even consider the pensionable age for future pensioners until after a successful vote.

The bit about 2014 not being concrete is nonsense.  That is an assumption on your part.  

The last is a take you have decided on because it suits your agenda.  The proposals were:

a) Match current UK plans at worst.

b) Perhaps prefer to avoid the rise to 67 between 2026 and 2028 as they saw it as too aggressive. 

c) A clear plan with the mitigation that it can only be the case if the SNP formed government in an independent Scotland. 

We of course may go completely leftfield and vote in a government that promises pensions at 50 or 80, but you know what, it is very unlikely there will be any party offering that, and if there was and that is what we voted for, at least it is representing our population's feeling on the matter.

#2382 OFFLINE   caledonia

caledonia

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts
  • Joined 18-June 12

Posted Today, 01:46 PM

35-AA67-DE-0-C11-4-FEC-99-BB-2-D9843-AA6

20 year challenge

Edited by caledonia, Today, 01:47 PM.

#2383 OFFLINE   caledonia

caledonia

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,994 posts
  • Joined 18-June 12

Posted Today, 01:52 PM

As For Fecks Sake says, this is meaningless without comparative figures.

And its not good to talk of average wages - high earners totally skew the averages. Median figures are much more informative.

64% of the irish earn less than the "average" wage for example.
https://www.thejourn...562071-Apr2019/

Ireland is all smoke and mirrors. Its claimed prosperity actually masks a lot of grinding poverty and a homelessness crisis which has endured for years.

Here is Varadkar getting snubbed on the campaign trail currently:

The number of people who are in emergency accommodation has doubled in the last few years.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/05/dublin-homelessness-crisis-jars-with-narrative-of-irish-economic-boom

In the current election build up, Fianna Fail have changed housing policy 3 times within 1 week.
https://gript.ie/ff-...licy-this-week/

Their health service makes the SNP look halfway competent. A man fell off a hospital trolley recently and was found next to it with a broken neck. The formal response to this stated that the hospital cant accept blame because he might have already had a broken neck which had gone unnoticed.
https://gript.ie/harris-must-go/

Their politics is a joke, with all major parties having identical policies and everyone is 110% pro-EU, like how popular Hitler was in the 1930s.

Really Ireland benefits a small, pro-EU political / public sector elite and few others. They are incahoots with international corporate bodies (apple / pharma companies etc) who treat the place like a tax haven.

Of course, crucially, their Government is just a local department of the EU. They have no real power or independence.

If they vote for the wrong thing, they have to vote again - happened twice so far. They kid themselves this doesnt happen.

They have to get brussel's approval for their budgets. Why do the SNP want to give other such power over Scotland? Currently Holyrood alone signs off Scotlands Budgets.

I genuinely think Ireland is a joke country and would hate Scotland to be like that.

Much better a strong Scotland, within a strong United Kingdom.

Is it aye

#2384 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,845 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted Today, 02:01 PM

Ireland is all smoke and mirrors. Its claimed prosperity actually masks a lot of grinding poverty and a homelessness crisis which has endured for years.

I thought real hardship didn't exist anymore? The benefits are more generous in Eire than Britain, but you claim Eire has grinding poverty and Scotland doesn't? I suspect you're talking shite again.

#2385 ONLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted Today, 02:07 PM

Are folk genuinly in poverty in Britain that can’t do something about it.

Never been in that position thankfully but surely you could get a job at Spar, benefits etc to keep you going.

Fuck knows

#2386 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,845 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted Today, 02:19 PM

Never been in that position thankfully but surely you could get a job at Spar, benefits etc to keep you going.

The way Universal Credit works, every £1 you earn they deduct 66p from your benefits. So for example, if you take a minimum wage job (£8.21 ph) you're effectively working for £2.74 ph. Not a great incentive.

#2387 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Today, 02:26 PM

The bit about 2014 not being concrete is nonsense.  That is an assumption on your part.  

One of their own MPs said it, i am not assuming anything.

#2388 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,125 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Today, 02:31 PM

I thought real hardship didn't exist anymore?

I was talking about the UK, and Scotland in particular. I gave the example of my parents / grandparents early lives, compared to now and what a big change there has been.

It seems the more we have, the more we moan about out lot in life.

Im not claiming that things are not tough for some, or that we are all on easy street.

I just get really annoyed by the bogus narrative that this is a cruel, selfish nation which leaves people to suffer in misery so the faceless "rich" can eek out another penny of profit per annum.

This isnt a cruel, selfish nation, its one of the most generous and caring nations on earth.

Im tired of hearing that if you are not to the left of Chairman Mao, you must be some kind of mean cunt who hates "the poor".

The benefits are more generous in Eire than Britain, but you claim Eire has grinding poverty and Scotland doesn't?

Scotland is not suffering a homelessness crisis on the scale of what ireland (Dublin in particular) has right now. Its a major issue in their election campaign.

Meanwhile, we have the luxury of talking about a 2nd independence referendum.

Edited by Clydeside_Sheep, Today, 02:32 PM.

#2389 ONLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted Today, 02:40 PM

The way Universal Credit works, every £1 you earn they deduct 66p from your benefits. So for example, if you take a minimum wage job (£8.21 ph) you're effectively working for £2.74 ph. Not a great incentive.

Surely that’s when you implement operation fiction.

If I was fucked there is no way I would be paying tax etc, drop the last number in your NI.

I get that some folk are in hard times but you could go and get a shower somewhere get some clothes from a charity shop and fucking knock on folks offering to clean their cars or some shit.

Easier said than if you’’re in that position I suppose.

#2390 OFFLINE   Foster14

Foster14

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,779 posts
  • Joined 09-January 08

Posted Today, 04:14 PM

One of their own MPs said it, i am not assuming anything.

I'm sure I will have concrete plans for Christmas dinner this year.  Doesn't mean I didn't have concrete plans for Christmas dinner last year, does it?

#2391 ONLINE   Redforever86

Redforever86

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Joined 14-January 14

Posted Today, 07:01 PM

Scotland is not suffering a homelessness crisis on the scale of what ireland (Dublin in particular) has right now. Its a major issue in their election campaign.

SHITE. 

Ireland homeless rate (10,500/4,900,000) = 0.00214286%

UK 1 in every 201 people (source big issue) = 0.00497%

Therefore the homeless problem in the UK is over twice as bad. 

You can't compare Ireland to Scotland as Dublin is a very different city to any in Scotland as it has a very fast growing economy and house prices where our economy is barely growing due to Brexit and other idiotic decisions of Westminster. 

People in Scotland are free to travel to warmer climates elsewhere in the UK. 

Also to add Scotland had 35,000 claims for homelessness in 2019....

#2392 ONLINE   Redforever86

Redforever86

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,568 posts
  • Joined 14-January 14

Posted Today, 07:09 PM

Are folk genuinly in poverty in Britain that can’t do something about it.

Depends how you define poverty. I wouldn't say there are people struggling to eat but some have pretty pathetic living conditions for the 21st century. 

Women I work with has a council property full of mould, which they can't/won't fix, she can't afford to move out while her kids suffer from asthma in it. 

Surely too fuck we can do better than this. 

#2393 ONLINE   Bluto10

Bluto10

PROUD DON!

• Members
  • 36,967 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Posted Today, 07:20 PM

SHITE. 

Ireland homeless rate (10,500/4,900,000) = 0.00214286%

UK 1 in every 201 people (source big issue) = 0.00497%

Therefore the homeless problem in the UK is over twice as bad. 

You can't compare Ireland to Scotland as Dublin is a very different city to any in Scotland as it has a very fast growing economy and house prices where our economy is barely growing due to Brexit and other idiotic decisions of Westminster. 

People in Scotland are free to travel to warmer climates elsewhere in the UK. 

Also to add Scotland had 35,000 claims for homelessness in 2019....

pretty hard to say house prices arent growing in the two Sco cities I’ve lived in (abdn & edinb)

You don't give a man like Bluto a drink in those piddly little glasses. Give him the bloody bottle.

8 user(s) are browsing this forum

3 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users