Will Christie Sign?

It could all come down to timing with his squad and with each players own development - I can't see Todgers playing any additional local youth outside of the positions already held. Forrest struggles to get starts as it is, and with the other young Scots - Henderson, Christie, Alan - you would think he would try and improve his squad for the CL, that'll be his priority. Commons retiring will free up a chunk for an experienced pro so I think it'll be a case of him being honest with the guys. Don't get me wrong, loans may suit everyone, but if Rodgers is chasing real progress then they'll have the same dilemma at the end of next season.

GMS is definitely getting punted, but it'll be a fight for Henderson Christie and Alan, with Henderson leading the race for 1st team action I would think.

He's not going, watching it at home - strange decision, as not many Aberdeen fans would give him a hard time if he chose to sit with his parent club

Long as he doesn't post on twitter this ime.

Hope we see him back here next season. In a Alkou sorta deal. Come on Milne Christie singing as a thank you for your hard work for Mciness

Rodgers will be making a few signings to try and get through group stages of Champions League.

I can't see Christie being part of his main squad.

Better to have him with Dons for 12 month deal, but as long as he's free to play against them.

I think people forget how much a transfer fee is actually worth, shelling out 400k would be the same as putting a player on a 4k a week 2 year contract, which is almost unaffordable

400k is easily covered by 1 match of gate and prize money from QR2 of europa league. Yes its a lot of money but spread over a 4 year deal is not so much and a big statement.

Just watched the highlights and Christie could have scored another one or two.

He is a talented player for sure, but I don`t know if he is ready or able to command a regular starting place at Celtic. Like GMS if he actually wants to play every week he may need to bite the bullet and move on.

Can we afford him? I doubt it very much but it would be a great piece of business if it were to happen.

Under contract until summer 2019.

If we were to get him I'd imagine it would have to be a loan deal.

GMS isn't all that unrealistic. He's not favoured at Celtic so they may be willing to terminate his contract or accept a nominal fee for him. He's not likely got much interest from down South either so competition for his signature will be relatively low.

This Christie on a permanent deal is nonsense and will never happen.

Under contract until summer 2019.

If we were to get him I'd imagine it would have to be a loan deal.

Would potentially take GMS but permanent only. Far too inconsistent to rely on and look after, rather than giving a chance to our own.

GMS isn't all that unrealistic. He's not favoured at Celtic so they may be willing to terminate his contract or accept a nominal fee for him. He's not likely got much interest from down South either so competition for his signature will be relatively low.

This Christie on a permanent deal is nonsense and will never happen.

I wouldn't want to pay anything for him.

400k is easily covered by 1 match of gate and prize money from QR2 of europa league. Yes its a lot of money but spread over a 4 year deal is not so much and a big statement.

Doubt we'd have budgeted for 2nd and both cup finals this year, so we maybe do have a wee bit of spare cash, but probably nothing like £400k. Not sure what the prize money is for each round? As you say, spread over a 3/4 year deal with the genuine possibility of being able to sell for decent money down the line means it's not exactly a high risk investment.

Christie is exactly the type of signing we need to start making if we are going to continue to improve on the playing field

Doubt we'd have budgeted for 2nd and both cup finals this year, so we maybe do have a wee bit of spare cash, but probably nothing like £400k. Not sure what the prize money is for each round? As you say, spread over a 3/4 year deal with the genuine possibility of being able to sell for decent money down the line means it's not exactly a high risk investment.

Christie is exactly the type of signing we need to start making if we are going to continue to improve on the playing field

Any spare cash will be going towards training ground and with any luck a new ground.

Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie today refused to rule out returning to Aberdeen next season.

The 22-year-old called time on a successful loan spell by netting a brace in the 6-0 demolition of Partick Thistle.

Christie will miss the Scottish Cup final on Saturday as he cannot play against his parent club due to the details of his loan deal.

The 1,200-strong Dons fans chanted “sign him up” when Christie netted his second goal of his swansong at Firhill.

They could get their wish as Christie revealed he is open to a potential Pittodrie return.

Asked if he could come back to Aberdeen next season, Christie said: “I am not going to rule it out, that’s for sure because I have enjoyed my time at Aberdeen so much.

“If that is what it comes to, then it is definitely an option I will keep open.

“Right now in my head it is all about doing as well as I can in pre-season then we will take it from there.”

Christie still has two years left on his Celtic contract having signed until 2019 in a £500,000 move from Inverness in September 2015.

Ultimately any loan move would have to be sanctioned by Parkhead gaffer Brendan Rodgers.

Christie will return to Celtic for pre-season to fight for his place, but he made just seven appearances in the first half of the season before moving to Pittodrie.

PFA Scotland Player of the Year Scott Sinclair and Scotland international James Forrest are ahead of him in the Parkhead pecking order and Rodgers will strengthen further, bolstered by a £26 million Champions League windfall.

Aberdeen have offered regular first team action for Christie, a factor that may be missing at Celtic.

He said: “I will go back to Celtic a better player, and my time spent at Aberdeen will definitely stand me in good stead.

“I will go and enjoy my holidays and come back raring to go at Celtic then see what happens after that.”

Within hours of the playmaker’s loan to Pittodrie in January being confirmed the move threatened to be soured when an offensive tweet slating Aberdeen that Christie sent as a 17-year-old resurfaced online.

Christie apologised for the tweet and asked for Dons fans to look past that mistake.

It was mission accomplished long before he received a rousing ovation from the Red Army at full-time at Firhill.

His strong relationship with the Aberdeen support, as well as the manager and team, is a major factor why Christie will not rule out returning to the Granite City next season.

On the tweet storm, he said: “That is one of the ways the fans have been great with me because that was forgotten about it pretty sharpish.

“The reception they gave me at Partick at full-time when I was walking off was incredible and a very nice touch.

“It made me sign off from Aberdeen in a really happy place. I have loved every minute of my time at Aberdeen and a lot of that has come from the way the fans have been with me, they have been absolutely tremendous.

“The positivity I have felt around the club has been incredible and I have gone into training every day with a smile on my face because I have enjoyed it that much.

“That is going to stay with me for a while.

“Since I have come into the club it has been a real joy.

“The fans, manager and the players have been incredible to me.

“I really enjoyed playing in this squad as it is one full of talent”

While the Dons squad prepare for the bid to win a first Scottish Cup since 1990, Christie’s season is over.

He will miss the final as he is ineligible to face his parent club Celtic.

Christie will not even be at Hampden to watch the two teams he has played for this season go head to head.

“It is strange not to be involved in the final but I am over that now,” he explained.

“After the hype of getting through the semi-final, straight away you want to look forward to the final and everyone is excited for it.

“It took me almost a week to get over that I wouldn’t be playing.

“I was always aware that if we had Celtic in the semi-final or we got to the final against them then I wouldn’t be able to play.

“I agreed it at the time, but when it comes around you realise how frustrating it is.

“But it’s just one of those things. There’s nothing you can do about it.

“I will watch the final at home with family and friends.

“Everyone has asked me how the game will go and I don’t know what to say.

“All I know is that it will be a brilliant game of football between two strong teams.”

Christie finished his loan spell with a brace at Firhill to take his goal tally to eight for Aberdeen.

Such was the extent of his impact at Pittodrie the midfielder secured the club’s Young Player of the Year award.

“It was a great team performance at Partick and a great way to sign off at Aberdeen,” he said.”I have taken a lot from my time at Aberdeen.

“When I first came I thought something what I needed to add to my game was goals.

“And I am happy to have done that to an extent.

“I have really enjoyed working with Derek and all the coaching staff and I have nothing but positives to say about my time playing at Aberdeen.”

• Upvote 1

Celtic midfielder Ryan Christie today refused to rule out returning to Aberdeen next season.

The 22-year-old called time on a successful loan spell by netting a brace in the 6-0 demolition of Partick Thistle.

Christie will miss the Scottish Cup final on Saturday as he cannot play against his parent club due to the details of his loan deal.

The 1,200-strong Dons fans chanted “sign him up” when Christie netted his second goal of his swansong at Firhill.

They could get their wish as Christie revealed he is open to a potential Pittodrie return.

Asked if he could come back to Aberdeen next season, Christie said: “I am not going to rule it out, that’s for sure because I have enjoyed my time at Aberdeen so much.

“If that is what it comes to, then it is definitely an option I will keep open.

“Right now in my head it is all about doing as well as I can in pre-season then we will take it from there.”

Christie still has two years left on his Celtic contract having signed until 2019 in a £500,000 move from Inverness in September 2015.

Ultimately any loan move would have to be sanctioned by Parkhead gaffer Brendan Rodgers.

Christie will return to Celtic for pre-season to fight for his place, but he made just seven appearances in the first half of the season before moving to Pittodrie.

PFA Scotland Player of the Year Scott Sinclair and Scotland international James Forrest are ahead of him in the Parkhead pecking order and Rodgers will strengthen further, bolstered by a £26 million Champions League windfall.

Aberdeen have offered regular first team action for Christie, a factor that may be missing at Celtic.

He said: “I will go back to Celtic a better player, and my time spent at Aberdeen will definitely stand me in good stead.

“I will go and enjoy my holidays and come back raring to go at Celtic then see what happens after that.”

Within hours of the playmaker’s loan to Pittodrie in January being confirmed the move threatened to be soured when an offensive tweet slating Aberdeen that Christie sent as a 17-year-old resurfaced online.

Christie apologised for the tweet and asked for Dons fans to look past that mistake.

It was mission accomplished long before he received a rousing ovation from the Red Army at full-time at Firhill.

His strong relationship with the Aberdeen support, as well as the manager and team, is a major factor why Christie will not rule out returning to the Granite City next season.

On the tweet storm, he said: “That is one of the ways the fans have been great with me because that was forgotten about it pretty sharpish.

“The reception they gave me at Partick at full-time when I was walking off was incredible and a very nice touch.

“It made me sign off from Aberdeen in a really happy place. I have loved every minute of my time at Aberdeen and a lot of that has come from the way the fans have been with me, they have been absolutely tremendous.

“The positivity I have felt around the club has been incredible and I have gone into training every day with a smile on my face because I have enjoyed it that much.

“That is going to stay with me for a while.

“Since I have come into the club it has been a real joy.

“The fans, manager and the players have been incredible to me.

“I really enjoyed playing in this squad as it is one full of talent”

While the Dons squad prepare for the bid to win a first Scottish Cup since 1990, Christie’s season is over.

He will miss the final as he is ineligible to face his parent club Celtic.

Christie will not even be at Hampden to watch the two teams he has played for this season go head to head.

“It is strange not to be involved in the final but I am over that now,” he explained.

“After the hype of getting through the semi-final, straight away you want to look forward to the final and everyone is excited for it.

“It took me almost a week to get over that I wouldn’t be playing.

“I was always aware that if we had Celtic in the semi-final or we got to the final against them then I wouldn’t be able to play.

“I agreed it at the time, but when it comes around you realise how frustrating it is.

“But it’s just one of those things. There’s nothing you can do about it.

“I will watch the final at home with family and friends.

“Everyone has asked me how the game will go and I don’t know what to say.

“All I know is that it will be a brilliant game of football between two strong teams.”

Christie finished his loan spell with a brace at Firhill to take his goal tally to eight for Aberdeen.

Such was the extent of his impact at Pittodrie the midfielder secured the club’s Young Player of the Year award.

“It was a great team performance at Partick and a great way to sign off at Aberdeen,” he said.”I have taken a lot from my time at Aberdeen.

“When I first came I thought something what I needed to add to my game was goals.

“And I am happy to have done that to an extent.

“I have really enjoyed working with Derek and all the coaching staff and I have nothing but positives to say about my time playing at Aberdeen.”

Great lad.

Just shows that no matter what the fans think of you, they can always be won over.

yeah but if we are going to use him to replace outgoing players, we need him against celtic, Shirley?

He would be coming back, not replacing anyone. It would be better if he could play against celtic.

Saying "he won't be any use" if he can't play against celtic remains bollocks.

• Downvote 1