Stewart Milne's Legacy

Both of those sides also got relegated, Hibs twice since Milne has been at Pittodrie, and Hearts went into Administration. So i'm not sure you've picked the best clubs to use as an example.

What difference does it make if they got relegated? They're back now and have won more trophies than us in that time.

It fucking sickens me that Hearts have now won the sc 8 times to our 7!

There are no trophies for not getting relegated.

• Upvote 1

"you cannot comment on Stewart Milne's chairmanship of Aberdeen unless you are a multi-millionaire"

About up there with some of the biggest load of nonsense posted on here.

Where have I said that?

It's easy to spout perceived words of wisdom and advice on what someone should or should not have done safe in the knowledge that you will probably never have to make such decisions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Real mixed bag...some positives, steady financially, at least some degree of success but some of the managerial appointments and transfer dealings have been shocking leading to some of the worst football ever witnessed.

Its not an era that will be fondly looked upon...

So are we saying that Stewart Mine is solely to blame and responsible for making all transfers? Can accept the managerial appointments fall on his shoulders but surely he was taking guidance and advice from people closer to those 'in the know' about football than himself with regards to managerial appointments?

Every club and company make mistakes, learn from them and try to do improve on it next time.

So are we saying that Stewart Mine is solely to blame and responsible for making all transfers? Can accept the managerial appointments fall on his shoulders but surely he was taking guidance and advice from people closer to those 'in the know' about football than himself with regards to managerial appointments?

Every club and company make mistakes, learn from them and try to do improve on it next time.

To a large extent it's Milne's fault.

He threw fucktons of money at Aitken and Miller, and to a great extent Ebbe... with ever reducing return on investment.  We were paying (for us) huge wages with little in the way of financial return.

In a desperate bid to halt the financial slide of the club, Milne went to the other extreme, and hired known alky Paterson with the mandate that he cut the wage bill... I forget the exact figure, maybe someone can dig it out... but it was by at least 60%, it might even have been 80%. Meaning all we were able to afford as replacements to outgoing players were lower league journeymen. 

So our transfer policies were a direct result of initially giving a blank chequebook to untested managers in Miller and Aitken, who pished said money away, and culminating in turning the club into essentially a 1st Division team with the demand that Jakey Paterson slash wages, meaning we very nearly found ourselves relegated had it not been for the extremely good fortune that we finished above the worst Partick Thistle side in modern history. I believe they were relegated in two consecutive seasons... and they were the only team worse than us in 03-04. 

Any other year and we'd have been down, no ifs ands, or buts. 

I don't really think Milne had a vision for the club, or great interest in it.

I think owning us was more about status and a platform for himself to impress his fellow masons and to foster business connections and influence.

He always wanted to build homes on Pittodrie, a prime location.

A baldy cunt of a man, in short.

To a large extent it's Milne's fault.

He threw fucktons of money at Aitken and Miller, and to a great extent Ebbe... with ever reducing return on investment. We were paying (for us) huge wages with little in the way of financial return.

In a desperate bid to halt the financial slide of the club, Milne went to the other extreme, and hired known alky Paterson with the mandate that he cut the wage bill... I forget the exact figure, maybe someone can dig it out... but it was by at least 60%, it might even have been 80%. Meaning all we were able to afford as replacements to outgoing players were lower league journeymen.

So our transfer policies were a direct result of initially giving a blank chequebook to untested managers in Miller and Aitken, who pished said money away, and culminating in turning the club into essentially a 1st Division team with the demand that Jakey Paterson slash wages, meaning we very nearly found ourselves relegated had it not been for the extremely good fortune that we finished above the worst Partick Thistle side in modern history. I believe they were relegated in two consecutive seasons... and they were the only team worse than us in 03-04.

Any other year and we'd have been down, no ifs ands, or buts.

All true but you have to admit that the football landscape has also changed dramatically in that time. On this forum people say the Miller team was one of the best we have had and I am sure there were not many voices questioning the fees or wages paid for some of the players in that era.

When the football bubble burst all clubs had to cut their cloth appropriately with the odd club (Huns, Hearts etc) still ploughing vast sums of money chasing a dream.

Remember Patersons appointment being roundly applauded by the fans, hindsight a wonderful thing right enough.

Looking forward to the next five years to see what can be achieved though.

Anyone prepared to go on record now and say Cormack is the right choice for chairman and it's onwards and upwards for Aberdeen from here on in?

Anyone see tonights news? Those wigs he used to wear are sensational. He must be fucking mortified when he sees them back

eh thot it wis bad 90s cgi...ya cunt it wis some fuckin barnet like.. wee sweepin fringe like e wis gittin intae the indie scene..weel ye canna siy the cunt wisna a product eh ez time..cunt wis oan the suede bandwagon fae diy wan!

• Downvote 1

Where have I said that?

It's easy to spout perceived words of wisdom and advice on what someone should or should not have done safe in the knowledge that you will probably never have to make such decisions.

People do this every day. If you choose to put yourself in the firing line, you have to take what comes with it. No different to criticising a PM.

People do this every day. If you choose to put yourself in the firing line, you have to take what comes with it. No different to criticising a PM.

Don't think Milne choose at all, he would have been quite happy out of the limelight as opposed to becoming Chairman of Aberdeen through the building of the Dick Donald stand and the Donald's wanting out.

Don't think Milne choose at all, he would have been quite happy out of the limelight as opposed to becoming Chairman of Aberdeen through the building of the Dick Donald stand and the Donald's wanting out.

Shite.  No cunt outside of Aberdeenshire had heard of the clown before he got involved with the dons.  Fast forward a few years and there's Stewart Milne hooses getting built all over the country.  Aberdeen FC have been very good for Stewart Milne.  Stewart Milne's been a fucking disaster for Aberdeen.

Kelt hit the nail on the head.

Anyone thanking that inept tcheuchter fuck needs their head looking

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Remember Patersons appointment being roundly applauded by the fans, hindsight a wonderful thing right enough.

True wrt hindsight, but we should have had foresight as well.

There was a total lack of due diligence with that appointment - he didn't just suddenly turn into a gambling, reckless booze-hound when he became our manager.

Indeed, when he was forced into a public statement, he admitted the situation had existed for "years".

People at Inverness (and in football more generally) must have known the situation, but chose to wash their hands by selling us a pup, rather than getting him help.

Duncan Shearer must have known fine well what was going on, over years.

No doubt the situation was behind why he suddenly went from supposedly signing a long term deal with caley, to suddenly being our boss.

And its a disgrace that football seems just to have left him to rot: he was still having very public drink problems very recently.

Think we all agree SM was happy to retain the status quo of Scottish football and expected the club to build its own success through achievements on the park and especially in Europe without really providing the backing to achieve it. The early years were dire, no escaping that but we’ve pulled it back to a decent level of respectability and he’s handing over the keys with things looking brighter (off the park at least). Time will tell if the Cormack era will bring better times but pretty clear the only way forward is through a new vision and stronger leadership at the top.

All true but you have to admit that the football landscape has also changed dramatically in that time. On this forum people say the Miller team was one of the best we have had and I am sure there were not many voices questioning the fees or wages paid for some of the players in that era.

When the football bubble burst all clubs had to cut their cloth appropriately with the odd club (Huns, Hearts etc) still ploughing vast sums of money chasing a dream.

Looking forward to the next five years to see what can be achieved though.

Anyone prepared to go on record now and say Cormack is the right choice for chairman and it's onwards and upwards for Aberdeen from here on in?

Whoever appointed Paterson didn't do any due diligence, a boy I worked with told me at the time of his appointment that we'd be reading about Paterson on the front pages instead of the back pages due to the boy's issues.

If Milne had spoken to anyone in football or in fact anyone in the Inverness area, he wouldn't have appointed him.

Edit: I've just noticed CS above.

Dundee United tried to appoint him just a few months beforehand so they obv hadn't heard either

Paterson was pretty much unanimously the appointment that the fans wanted at the time. Even with his problems.....he might have been a decent choice had he not been instructed to slash the playing budget by such an enormous margin.

Dundee United tried to appoint him just a few months beforehand so they obv hadn't heard either

Paterson was pretty much unanimously the appointment that the fans wanted at the time. Even with his problems.....he might have been a decent choice had he not been instructed to slash the playing budget by such an enormous margin.

With the money available to him, Pele actually made some shrewd signings. Cannot argue we got value for a fiver from Tosh, Sheerin and Hart anyway. 

I mean thats it... but he only got £15 to spend in total

What difference does it make if they got relegated? They're back now and have won more trophies than us in that time.

It fucking sickens me that Hearts have now won the sc 8 times to our 7!

There are no trophies for not getting relegated.

Hibs even won the Scottish cup whilst in the championship & beating the Huns in doing so & managed to batter a few of their fans as well into the bargain.

I would happily have taken relegation for that day lol

• Upvote 3