Football Years - Friday 9Pm Stv

Really? I was sure they covered it in the first series. How dare they not!

I've got the first series on my computer and the years they did was...

So they covered our title winning season of 1979/80 and that episode featured the now classic quote from Stuart Cosgrove...

Aberdonians and with some degree of purpose and right on their side have absolute contempt for Glasgow.

There is a side of Aberdonians who lets be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you could measure it by the yard.

:lolceltic::lolrangers:

Why are they building it up as a match of evens between McLean's Dundee Utd and Ferguson's Aberdeen

McLean Utd 71-93

2 League Cups

1 Premier League

22 years (3 trophies, all domestic)

Ferguson Dons (78-86)

3 League Titles

4 Scottish Cups

1 League Cup

1 European Cup Winners Cup

1 European Super Cup

8 years (10 trophies, 2 Europeans)

No contest.

Why are they building it up as a match of evens between McLean's Dundee Utd and Ferguson's Aberdeen

McLean Utd 71-93

2 League Cups

1 Premier League

22 years (3 trophies, all domestic)

Ferguson Dons (78-86)

3 League Titles

4 Scottish Cups

1 League Cup

1 European Cup Winners Cup

1 European Super Cup

8 years (10 trophies, 2 Europeans)

No contest.

Great season for both our clubs. I know you know how good your team was but I hope it opens your eyes as to how good my team was, if not quite as successful.

The term "New Firm" entirely f**ks me off.

This European run looks promising though, be a big ask if we get Bayern or Real Madrid later in the competition though :itch-chin:

yeah can't see you guys beating either of them :rolleyes:

Wonder if the ref was bribed by either of those teams like a certain AS Roma have admitted to doing a year later in the semis of the European Cup against a team whose name escapes me...

Why was McLean and Dundee Utd hated by Roma so much?

Serious answers please. :D

Nothing specific that I can recall other than McLean calling the Roma players cheats (for diving etc.). Maybe they were just bad losers after getting thrashed in the 1st leg by a small club from Scotland and then disgraceful winners after their 3-0 win in the 2nd leg.

Did Roma not eventually get banned for bribing the ref in that game?

Like Aberdeen, Utd had a great team in those days, with players like Sturrock and Bannon etc. Those were the days.

Some rare footage of McKimmie playing for Dundee that season just before he joined us.

Was a great watch. I hate that the programme featured United as well and their massive haul of 2 League Cups and a league title (which we probably would have won if it had not been for the CWC run) but the programme did make reference to them being slightly less successful.

Taking the red tinted specs off for a minute, United did have a cracking team then too and probably should have won more. Didn't know they also reached the UEFA Cup quarter finals that same season as well. Was just good to see two non OF clubs dominating Scottish football and Huns being awful and finishing mid-table! :lolrangers:

Was a great watch. I hate that the programme featured United as well and their massive haul of 2 League Cups and a league title (which we probably would have won if it had not been for the CWC run) but the programme did make reference to them being slightly less successful.

Taking the red tinted specs off for a minute, United did have a cracking team then too and probably should have won more. Didn't know they also reached the UEFA Cup quarter finals that same season as well. Was just good to see two non OF clubs dominating Scottish football and Huns being awful and finishing mid-table! :lolrangers:

Looks like we had a slow start to the league season then.

Only won one of our first 4 league games.

Interestingly the league didn't kick off till 4th Sept and a good amount of league cup games were played in August in that group format.

i have to say for me that was the golden generation of football, the players mentioned were top class, Ralph Milne was an excellent player yeah he had demons that cost him a big move (until he went to Man U, by then he was past it ) but others like Andy Ritchie (Morton). McMaster, Bell, Ian Redford, Iain Ferguson, were all quality players and were never capped.

yeah can't see you guys beating either of them :rolleyes:

Wonder if the ref was bribed by either of those teams like a certain AS Roma have admitted to doing a year later in the semis of the European Cup against a team whose name escapes me...

Didn't Porto or Benfica or someone get done for bribery the year after they beat us in a European Cup semi-final?