Scottish Football In The 80S, The Golden Era

i was just thinking about how good the game was in our country in the 80s, so i thought i'd try to pick a squad from that decade for me i would love to have any in the current dons side.#

GK- Leighton , Money, Smith

DEF- McLeish, Miller, Hegarty, Narey, Gough, Malpas, McKimmie, Rougvie

MID- Bett, McStay, Ritchie, Bannon, Strachan, Bell, Weir, McMaster

FWD- Black , McDougall, Sturrock, McGhee, Robertson Coyne, McCoist.

that would be some squad to assemble

any changes you would make?

McCoist was fucking atrocious.

A poacher who had guys like Laudrup and Gascoigne laying chances on a plate for him... Mackie would have scored goals in that team.

Mo Johnstone would have to be in there, but if anyone says Alan McInally I'll personally skullfuck them.

Edit: And if you mean Henry 'Drop the Ball' Smith, he was terrible inna. On a par with Nicky Walker.

As much as I hate him, the flying pig should be in there, and so should the flying pig... Andy Goram Andy Goram. Unfortunately he was a world class keeper.

Dundee Utd had a great team. It's just our players, in every position, were better. Miller/McLeish - Hegarty/Narey. Weir - Milne. Strachan/Bannon. McGhee/Sturrock etc.

Just pick a squad from these two teams.

Well, they were good, United, but a GREAT team would have won their Euro final... like the Dons.

No-one remembers the loser ;)

You did :wink:

You did :wink:

I actually wanted United to win, which is pretty unusual for me.

But they failed, and they'll always be the the lesser of The New Firm.. the team that bottled it when they needed to step up.

Fuck me, it's not even like they had Real or Hamburg to beat, just a bunch of Hurdy Gurdies.

United... we are disappoint.

i recall that United run to the UEFA final, up until Bayerns thumping of Barcelona Dundee United were the last side to beat barca home and a way in European competition.

have to agree that united side had some fabulous players in any other era Hegarty and nareywould have been the Scotland central defence and they would have been a good pairing,

They probably desrved to beat Roma in the European cup of 84, to set up an all British final and we all know now Roma bribed the ref absoulute disgrace that united side would have been a real challange for Liverpool.

to be fair the Gothenburg team of that time were a decnt side remamber they beat us the year before in the European cup qtr finals, Johnny Ekstrom doing the damage.

and no tommy Coyne was scottish just played for Ireland under the granny rule so he stays,

as for my picks

Yeah it was Henry Smith i recall him in the 80s as a good keeper, but i would have Campbell Money before him. but outwith the three i mentioned we had Goram, Geddes, Billy Thomson, McAlpine , Alan Main, some good keepers there.

• Upvote 1

Davie Cooper for Andy Ritchie

Steve Archibald for Eric Black

Charlie Nicholas for Tommy Coyne

Maurice Johnston for Ally McCoist

Danny McGrain for Stewart McKimmie

John Collins for John McMaster

Fuckin Onybdy for Henry Smith

I thought Archibald signed for Spurs just after we won the league in 1980?

I thought Archibald signed for Spurs just after we won the league in 1980?

Dinna tak this the wrong way OJ, but 1980 was in the 80s. ;)

He also had a good spell with Hibs around 88/89 - that particular season's top scorer charts was a veritable who's who of excellent Scottish strikers; McGhee & Nicholas were joint top scorer if I remember right, there was McCoist, Johnston, McAvennie was still sniffing about at Celtic, Robertson at Hearts, Archibald at Hibs, trying to remember if Kevin Gallacher was still at Dundee Utd - Sturrock definitely was.

• Site Sponsor

i was just thinking about how good the game was in our country in the 80s, so i thought i'd try to pick a squad from that decade for me i would love to have any in the current dons side.#

GK- Leighton , Money, Smith Gunn

DEF- McLeish, Miller, Hegarty, Narey, Gough, Malpas, McKimmie, Rougvie Kennedy

MID- Bett, McStay, Ritchie, Bannon, Strachan, Bell, Weir, McMaster Simpson Cooper Watson Angus

FWD- Black , McDougall, Sturrock, McGhee, Robertson Coyne, McCoist. Hewitt

GK- Leighton , Money, Smith Gunn

DEF- McLeish, Miller, Hegarty, Narey, Gough, Malpas, McKimmie, Rougvie Kennedy

MID- Bett, McStay, Ritchie, Bannon, Strachan, Bell, Weir, McMaster Simpson Cooper Watson Angus

FWD- Black , McDougall, Sturrock, McGhee, Robertson Coyne, McCoist. Hewitt

RTYD, there may be accusasions of bias.