Scottish Fitba Tv Rights

Sports shops seemed to be a disappearing trend on the high street!

I remember going into Intersport in Bonacord Center mid 90s and them selling Airdrie and Falkirk tops among others.

Go in to a sport shop now and it’s all your foreign teams and top 5 EPL teams and the Glasgow mobs.

Are the club missing a trick seeking our tops exclusively at the a Club Shop? Shouldn’t we have something similar to what we had a Bridge Street. You are more likely get more people in town browsing round go enter the Aberdeen shop than down the beach unless you are planing to be going there anyway.

I can only assume the club have done their sums and know a club shop in town isn't worth doing. I guess if you know exactly what you're after, you can go to Pittodrie or buy online so they only thing they are missing out on is impulse buys which I guess are becoming less and less common on the high street as the years go by. I dunno. Even a pop up Christmas shop you'd think might be worth it (there must be plenty of premises on or near Union Street that will be sitting empty until January that would be happy for the 3 months rent) but presumably the club have done their due diligence and decided against it. Could even sell match tickets in the pop up shop, wouldn't be the worst Christmas present to give someone, better than the useless tat you get in the Boots 3 for 2 anyway

They had a pop up store one year in the shopping centre next to Ma Camerons.

I think a pop up store at Xmas is a good idea. Plenty of shop space in the bomb site that used to be the iconic and bustling Union Street.

Speaking of sports shops I remember Crombie Sports and Roslyn Sports in the 80s. Brilliant sports shops they were unlike the generic sports shops we get now or the jumble sale that is Sports Direct.

Sports shops seemed to be a disappearing trend on the high street!

I remember going into Intersport in Bonacord Center mid 90s and them selling Airdrie and Falkirk tops among others.

Go in to a sport shop now and it’s all your foreign teams and top 5 EPL teams and the Glasgow mobs.

Are the club missing a trick seeking our tops exclusively at the a Club Shop? Shouldn’t we have something similar to what we had a Bridge Street. You are more likely get more people in town browsing round go enter the Aberdeen shop than down the beach unless you are planing to be going there anyway.

I used to have a summer job in the Bridge St shop in the 90s as a student, most days were spent doing fuck all, the place was dead, highlights were grans coming in wanting a player name on the back of a shirt and them not knowing the first thing about the team or players, so if they were decent humans they could get a Jess or Shearer on the back, if they were arsey they'd get a reserve.

Since the 'high street' is exponentially deader than those days I can't imagine it would make any economic sense to open a store.

I'm pretty sure there was one on Trinity Quay as well. Anyone recall that?

Some time after that ad I'd imagine. Or even before. Fuck knows.

Nae idea when that ad would have been?

Just researched, 1985 apparently.

Marischal Street, George Street and Victoria Road as on advert.

Are you thinking of Q Stores ?

I used to have a summer job in the Bridge St shop in the 90s as a student, most days were spent doing fuck all, the place was dead, highlights were grans coming in wanting a player name on the back of a shirt and them not knowing the first thing about the team or players, so if they were decent humans they could get a Jess or Shearer on the back, if they were arsey they'd get a reserve.

Since the 'high street' is exponentially deader than those days I can't imagine it would make any economic sense to open a store.

Sadly I think your right but I always used to love walking around the bridge street shop as a kid.

Even then folk didn't want to come see you?? :laughing:

They threatened to, it never materialised

It’s actually sad that never happened. Would have been fantastic for the a combination of the Aberdeen City Centre thread and roid club as every week somebody completely lost it and panned in the wimdow.

Could have had some sort of rota and a justgiving page for fines