Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Out Of Contract

I'd beg to differ.  I've never been a GMS fan, throughout his career, but he was on another level to every other player (apart from big joe) pre-injury last season.

GMS pre injury stats:

A penalty goal against Burnley.

A penalty goal against Dundee.

An assist in a 4-1 win against St Mirren.

A penalty in a 2-1 defeat against Hearts.

A winning goal against Hibs.

2 goals and an assist in a 4-0 win against St Mirren.

Other level?

Look at the teams immediate improvement when he was injured. Yes he can provide a moment of magic but how often do we really see it?

Bit disappointed to lose him but hardly surprising. Can't remember an out of contract player in the Bosman era still not sure if they are saying or not in the second half of June before.

Can League 1 teams really offer wages that much better than us? We can also offer European football and hopefully cup finals which they can't. Is England just seen as the 'promised land' for every Scottish player?

GMS pre injury stats:

A penalty goal against Burnley.

A penalty goal against Dundee.

An assist in a 4-1 win against St Mirren.

A penalty in a 2-1 defeat against Hearts.

A winning goal against Hibs.

2 goals and an assist in a 4-0 win against St Mirren.

Other level?

Look at the teams immediate improvement when he was injured. Yes he can provide a moment of magic but how often do we really see it?

Definitely an Ebbe mini-skirt moment.  If you watched our first four months, he was head and shoulders above the others - he drove us forward.  I say that as someone who has never really cared for GMS throughout his career.   I'm not just talking about various flicks and tricks - I'm not spellbound by the flashy stuff like @@Millertime for example.  There was substance in his first few months of the season.  He was getting in the Scotland squad at that point - and it was on merit.

Definitely an Ebbe mini-skirt moment.  If you watched our first four months, he was head and shoulders above the others - he drove us forward.  I say that as someone who has never really cared for GMS throughout his career.   I'm not just talking about various flicks and tricks - I'm not spellbound by the flashy stuff like @@Millertime for example.  There was substance in his first few months of the season.  He was getting in the Scotland squad at that point - and it was on merit.

I had a season ticket. Was at every home game pre injury. You can find comment sfrom myself saying exactly the same then.

I had a season ticket. Was at every home game pre injury. You can find comment sfrom myself saying exactly the same then.

Good for you.  I watched every game on RedTV, home and away.  Just my opinion - you'll find comments from me, back then saying exactly the same. 

McGinn has done well to pop up with goals and assists this season... but certainly didn't exert the same influence on a match as pre-injury GMS.  Post injury, GMS was typically the worst player on our team, when he made it onto the pitch... 

The only loss is that we didn't get a fee for him back in January... or earlier if he wasn't signing a contract extension... Usual stupidity from the club...

He couldn't get a pre contract signed til the middle of June, you think people were lining up to pay money for him in January?!

Good for you.  I watched every game on RedTV, home and away.  Just my opinion - you'll find comments from me, back then saying exactly the same. 

McGinn has done well to pop up with goals and assists this season... but certainly didn't exert the same influence on a match as pre-injury GMS.  Post injury, GMS was typically the worst player on our team, when he made it onto the pitch... 

We literally had our best spell of the season whilst he was out injured.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/gary-mackay-steven/leistungsdaten/spieler/78961

I would like to hear this week that GMS is staying based solely on my lack of faith in us to recruit a better replacement. I wouldn't necessarily being happy to offer GMS a big contract with signing on fee etc as he's not done enough

I think you've said this most weeks tord. Have a day off

Portsmouth is a strange move. They're a nothing club. I'd have thought a better club than them would have taken a punt on him, even just to fill the bench.

My guess is they are handing him stupid wages they can't afford.

His appearance record isn't the best though.

He's played about 200 games his entire career and he's almost 29

According to a pal of mine who is a Portsmouth season ticket holder. He wanted a crack down south and apparently had been speaking to a number of championship clubs since january which offers didn't materialise. Apparently was only willing to sign on for one year with us because he only had options in league one and the club said no. I hope that bit is true as it would at least show some backbone in this whole debacle. He will get eaten alive in that league IMO. I watched Portsmouth last season and there two wingers Curtis and Lowe are beasts, maybe not on GMS technical level but they have the pace and the physique you need in that league. Unlikely both will still be there though this season.

According to a pal of mine who is a Portsmouth season ticket holder. He wanted a crack down south and apparently had been speaking to a number of championship clubs since january which offers didn't materialise. Apparently was only willing to sign on for one year with us because he only had options in league one and the club said no. I hope that bit is true as it would at least show some backbone in this whole debacle. He will get eaten alive in that league IMO. I watched Portsmouth last season and there two wingers Curtis and Lowe are beasts, maybe not on GMS technical level but they have the pace and the physique you need in that league. Unlikely both will still be there though this season.

Do Portsmouth reveal contract talks to their season ticket holders ?

Do Portsmouth reveal contract talks to their season ticket holders ?

Do Aberdeen reveal contract talks to Portsmouth season ticket holders?