First Drivers' Strike Goes Ahead Saturday

K-9

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Sponsor
In today's climate, is 4% not a fairly decent rise?

Withdraw the 4% offer and offer them 3 now. Or tell them to GTF. :hysterical:

Well given that prices are falling and we are in danger of heading into deflation, yes it is.

Mind you we're not dealing with rocket scientists here.

Walk you lazy git or use that taxi for calderwood

UP THE DRIVERS PAY UP MAIR YOU TIGHT FISTED GIT...............

Cool attitude, and you wander why nobody supports your strike.

Your motivated by greed, nothing else, you are already well paid for what you do.

I was on strike for several days last year for yes, a pay rise although we weren't asking for as much as you lot, but we were also attempting to protect our jobs and the quality of service our customers deserve.

Not just out of the pound signs in our eyes.

From First website:

Industrial action 6th December 2008

Bus services operated by First in Aberdeen will be disrupted on Saturday 6th December, following the rejection of the bus company's improved pay offer by trade union, T&G Unite the Union.

Industrial action will be taken by First employees over the 24 hour period from 3am on Saturday 6 December until 3am on Sunday 7 December and no bus services are expected to run at this time.

George Mair, Managing Director of First in Aberdeen, said: "This is yet another disappointing response from the union and is particularly frustrating given that we have revised our offer on a number of occasions throughout the negotiation process in an effort to reach agreement with the union".

"We had hoped that the productive discussion with the union and Acas at the start of the week would have provided a positive way forward and that union members would have been balloted on our latest offer but, sadly, that has not been achieved and the proposed industrial action will go ahead on Saturday".

"We expect the impact of this action to be significant and do not expect to be in a position to run any bus services within Aberdeen during this time. We apologise sincerely to those who will be inconvenienced - our aim had always been to avert such a course of action".

"This is a very disappointing outcome; however, we will work to maintain a productive dialogue with the union in an effort to reach a resolution as quickly as possible".

Further strikes are also planned by the union for 12th, 13th, 19th and 20th December.

Your motivated by greed, nothing else, you are already well paid for what you do.

I was on strike for several days last year for yes, a pay rise although we weren't asking for as much as you lot, but we were also attempting to protect our jobs and the quality of service our customers deserve.

I've already had a few comments of support from Van Der Ark, Bebo and Dynamo :fight:

This wage increase dispute is about an extra 7p an hour or for a 37.5 week an extra

slightly off topic but the recent stagecoach striker wer alos over pay. one of the union guys from that strike had the excuse that first bus drivers were paid alot more than they were.

if the first drivers get their way which IMO they shouldn't then i doubt it will be long before we see another stagecoach strike.

I canna help myself. I remember the days when workers and the unions stood shoulder to shoulder and backed each other up, not slagged each other off.

My own pay rise this year was cancelled after being agreed, so that the company could fund redundancies instead. Our union meekly accepted this, because we are in no position of power. If the Firstbus drivers are not under redundancy threat, and there is no queue of qualified drivers chappin at their door looking for a job, then the Firstbus drivers are right to get the best deal they can for themselves.

Some folk do need to get a crash course in public relations though!

Compared to losing how much tomorrow by not working?

No Pain No Gain

As I said earlier unless you work in the industry you dont know what actually goes on, Stagecoach when they bought over Bluebird changed all the conditions and wages of their drivers and as far as am aware they only get 5p extra an hour for working weekends and overtime.

Yes we get paid more and our conditions are better maybe thats why more of their drivers come to us than vica versa.

I agree money will be but lost by not working, yes the public will be affected but Mair always comes across as the am sorry sort of guy.

Remember he is the guy who put up the fares,changed all the routes that the majority are not happy with and if the changes were so good why is he changing them again on the 1st Febuary 2009, a lot goes on that the public dont know at First Aberdeen and yes I could look elsewhere for a job but this job suits me and somebody has to do it or how do all the little old ladies get into town for their :laughing:

No Pain No Gain

As I said earlier unless you work in the industry you dont know what actually goes on, Stagecoach when they bought over Bluebird changed all the conditions and wages of their drivers and as far as am aware they only get 5p extra an hour for working weekends and overtime.

Yes we get paid more and our conditions are better maybe thats why more of their drivers come to us than vica versa.

I agree money will be lost by not working, yes the public will be affected but Mair always comes across as the am sorry sort of guy.

Remember he is the guy who put up the fares,changed all the routes that the majority are not happy with and if the changes were so good why is he changing them again on the 1st Febuary 2009, a lot goes on that the public dont know at First Aberdeen and yes I could look elsewhere for a job but this job suits me and somebody has to do it or how do all the little old ladies get into town for their :laughing:

Mair comes across as a total w*nker who is only interested in packing buses full of as few buses as possible for maximum profits.

No Pain No Gain

I agree money will be but lost by not working, yes the public will be affected but Mair always comes across as the am sorry sort of guy.

Did you get a P&J today? A bit in the Jobs section about folk being sacked for slagging off their employers on line.

Hope your identity is not well known. Also wish you well in your campaign. Its a brave thing to do at this time of year and in the current economic climate. Good Luck.

The timing of these strikes are to cause the consumer/ passangers as much trouble as possible hoping this will cause First to cave in to there demands.

This will casue very little public support.

Of course everyone wants the best deal for themself but they also have to apperiate the current finanial climate.

The old catch 22.

harper it was me that made the comment about campbell but that is cause of my own personal dealings with him,

this is not a pop at you but maybe some of your drivers could be a bit more polite, and this has always bugged me why dont you let 2 buggies/pram's on yet it is ok for folk to be standing the length of the bus?

Yes I agree we have a few drivers who have an attitude, I was at Tesco today and the young girl who checked me through had the qualities that is required for a driver, the am not interested look.

Anyway the buggie problem it is up to the drivers discretion, what I do is two small buggies no problem although there is a problem when you have two large buggies as the aisle way is supposed to be clear which brings you to the standing question.

If a wheelchair user wants to board the bus and there is two buggies, we are supposed to ask normally the last one on if they would fold it for the wheelchair to board if they both say no then we cant let them board, damned if you do damned if you dont.

Buses are allowed to let people stand the whole length but you know and I know if we slam on our brakes for whatever then it could result in a mass pile up which thankfully has never happened yet.

We know Tommy wont lose anything if we strike so it's ok for him to say Strike.

As I said this has been on going since 1st April and our wonderful am sorry I never meant what I said MD so dont sack me I have a family back in Poland to feed, he has had time to sort it out well before now.................

Bus services operated by First in Aberdeen will be disrupted on Saturday 6th December, following the rejection of the bus company's improved pay offer by trade union, T&G Unite the Union.

Industrial action will be taken by First employees over the 24 hour period from 3am on Saturday 6 December until 3am on Sunday 7 December and no bus services are expected to run at this time.

George Mair, Managing Director of First in Aberdeen, said: "This is yet another disappointing response from the union and is particularly frustrating given that we have revised our offer on a number of occasions throughout the negotiation process in an effort to reach agreement with the union".

"We had hoped that the productive discussion with the union and Acas at the start of the week would have provided a positive way forward and that union members would have been balloted on our latest offer but, sadly, that has not been achieved and the proposed industrial action will go ahead on Saturday".

"We expect the impact of this action to be significant and do not expect to be in a position to run any bus services within Aberdeen during this time. We apologise sincerely to those who will be inconvenienced - our aim had always been to avert such a course of action".

"This is a very disappointing outcome; however, we will work to maintain a productive dialogue with the union in an effort to reach a resolution as quickly as possible".

Further strikes are also planned by the union for 12th, 13th, 19th and 20th December.

My last late night bus home is 3.15, so going by this statement it wont run tonight? And there will be only one on saturday night/sunday morning?

• Admin

My last late night bus home is 3.15, so going by this statement it wont run tonight? And there will be only one on saturday night/sunday morning?

Exactly what i was wondering. I get the 3.15 B.O.D bus from town home.

I'm thinking the late night bus will still be running. I hope. If not i'll be getting the 2.15 just in case.