• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
33 minutes ago, Ramandu said:

Anyone read the Patrick O'Brian books (Master & Commander etc)? I had the first one as a holiday read, and really enjoyed it, a great insight into life at sea in the Napoleonic era. But there are 21 of them, and I'm wondering if it holds up across the series.

Not read any of this series but will give it a go. Generally any series with that amount of book will be of a good standard (Sharpe, Rebus, Bernie Gunther, Bosch etc).

Can recommend the Bernie Gunter series - outstanding.

On 8/12/2021 at 9:24 AM, For Fecks Sake said:

Not read a bad book by Max Hastings - Overlord / Das Reich / All Hell Let Loose etc. all brilliant.

Hastings is a good read, though I think he has a bad rep among other military historians. 

I'm geeing myself up to read Sand and Steel and Snow and Steel... but before that I want to read some dumb shit by Tom Clancy. 

Probably The Bear and the Dragon, because thinking is hard. 

spacer.png

• 4 months later...

Just finished the 3rd Ambrose Parry book (pseudonym for Christopher Brookmyer and his wife) which was excellent.

Now onto "There Is Nothing for You Here: Finding Opportunity in the Twenty-First Century" by Fiona Hill which is proving to be every bit as depressing (but excellent) as the title would suggest.