Butteries

daytripping

Any man who kens anything about calories needs to take a good look at himself and the direction his life is taking.

qualified chef

C&G in a that

twas my job to know this shite.

I also now sit across for a beautiful blonde Latvian who can tell me the calories in everything from a grape to a fried egg... I'll take any excuse to chat to her for 5 minutes :thumbs:

I wouldna give her the time of day if she started banging on about calories and shit, I'm a 6,000 a day man, she'd probably feint if I telt her that.

There's a place in America, fuck knows where, redneck country, where if you can eat five full steaks of differing varieties in less than an hour, you get them cooked as and when you're ready, you get the meal for nothing.

Only two folk have ever achieved it.

I fancy a blast at it.

I wouldna give her the time of day if she started banging on about calories and shit, I'm a 6,000 a day man, she'd probably feint if I telt her that.

There's a place in America, fuck knows where, redneck country, where if you can eat five full steaks of differing varieties in less than an hour, you get them cooked as and when you're ready, you get the meal for nothing.

I fancy a blast at it.

there was a Man v Food episode of that! it's really disgusting to watch. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTWHaGuJmmg

I fancy a blast at it.

You been watching man v food?

Some mega meals on the go on that. Foot high deli sarnies full of turkey, ham and the yank equivalent of corned beef, half cows on a plate, foot long hot dowgs with the works and the one I fancied was the 5 full meal subs to then get your own customised one made and then put on the menu for good. Kind of like the bar in Sydney that gives you 3 days to drink your way round the world (150 beers in 3 days for a plaque on the wall) 25 years the place has been open, only 16 customised subs. These things were mammoth, 4 fillings plus chips and sauce. You have 45 minutes to eat the 5.

• 6 years later...

A competition will be held to crown the world’s best buttery, amid concerns that traditional methods of making the delicacy are at risk of being forgotten.

Bakers are being invited to put their recipes to the test at the inaugural World Buttery Championship this summer at the North East Scotland College in Aberdeen.
Organisers, Slow Food Aberdeen City and Shire, are asking amateur and professional cooks to serve up their own versions of the North-east staple.
The buttery – also known as a rowie or roll – was historically taken aboard boats by fishermen, who favoured it as its high fat and salt content which meant it would not grow stale.
But Slow Food say that the version of the flaky snack now most commonly eaten represents a radical departure from those scoffed at sea generations ago.
Event co-ordinator Martin Gillespie said: “Over a number of years the traditional buttery recipe has been altered to the stage where it has become almost unrecognisable.
“In many cases, the commercial production of butteries has led to the original ingredients of butter and lard being replaced with margarine and palm oil.
“Not only does this affect the taste and texture of the buttery, but the use of non-sustainable palm oil has a negative environmental impact.”
It has now been included in Slow Food’s Ark of Taste collection, which records historic foodstuffs which are at risk of extinction. The group hopes that the upcoming event will show off the salty snack in its original form.
The competition, on June 16, will be judged by local professionals and Slow Food committee members.

A competition will be held to crown the world’s best buttery, amid concerns that traditional methods of making the delicacy are at risk of being forgotten.

Bakers are being invited to put their recipes to the test at the inaugural World Buttery Championship this summer at the North East Scotland College in Aberdeen.
Organisers, Slow Food Aberdeen City and Shire, are asking amateur and professional cooks to serve up their own versions of the North-east staple.
The buttery – also known as a rowie or roll – was historically taken aboard boats by fishermen, who favoured it as its high fat and salt content which meant it would not grow stale.
But Slow Food say that the version of the flaky snack now most commonly eaten represents a radical departure from those scoffed at sea generations ago.
Event co-ordinator Martin Gillespie said: “Over a number of years the traditional buttery recipe has been altered to the stage where it has become almost unrecognisable.
“In many cases, the commercial production of butteries has led to the original ingredients of butter and lard being replaced with margarine and palm oil.
“Not only does this affect the taste and texture of the buttery, but the use of non-sustainable palm oil has a negative environmental impact.”
It has now been included in Slow Food’s Ark of Taste collection, which records historic foodstuffs which are at risk of extinction. The group hopes that the upcoming event will show off the salty snack in its original form.
The competition, on June 16, will be judged by local professionals and Slow Food committee members.

Going by the stovies thread, MT will probably enter a scone into the competition.

Crispy, saff, hot, cold, with pretty much anything Ill gladly chuck one down my throat with gusto.

Used to get them still warm in the morning. Cold day and a couple of them inside you, pure bliss min.

Gaan to try making my own soon.

I bought all the gear to make my own. Just too fucking lazy...and you have to think too much. But I really want to see if the recipes i have found come even close to the taste of ones in NE. Been over 20 years since i had one but i can still remember the taste and smell. Deeeeeeeeeelicious.

I like paler, softer boys rolls. In the toaster till they've sizzled constantly for about 20 seconds, thick spread of syrup. Minimum of 2 per seating. Licking the syrup off the knife is proven to be calorie-free.

The above can only be improved by going out to do a shite job on a shite day in shite weather then coming in to the aforementioned syrupy delight with a big mug of coffee alongside.

Happy days

• Upvote 1