Aberdeen 3 - 0 St Johnstone

Is this is our best starting XI then?

It's worth pursuing with. The back 5 including AOC seems to work and I do like Shinnie at left back as good as he's been in the midfield. AOC sitting as a proper shield to let McLean and Christie roam forward. Position on the right the most up for grabs with Stewart, Wright and GMS looking at their best bet of getting a game there. Rooney and May playing as striker and wide left in similar sort of way Juve do with Mandzukic seemed to work well on Saturday and we got a convincing win. Might not be the right way to go every game but should definitely be using it again very soon. I just hope he doesn't throw Considine straight in and reshuffle Shinnie etc for next game. McKenna another solid game and should stay there with Arnason, let a partnership and understanding continue to develop.

Shinnie replacing Considine is kind of a given since the thing we would ordinarily miss would be his height which is replaced by playing O'Connor. The bigger issue was thought to be Shinnies protective tenacity in midfield which again appears to be being filled by O'Connor.

Wide right is up for grabs. Don't believe in putting a left footer there though so Wright and GMS would be a stretch. Stewart is the obvious candidate (different type like, never a winger) and I genuinely hope it works for him.

Maclean and Christie seems to be working in a Shinnie-less midfield.

Just leaves him to decide if he can force in Rooney May and, as Saturday showed, if he can then Bobs yer Uncles bidey in.

It seems to be the mobility of Maclean and particularly Christie that allows May and Rooney to swap about to apparently good effect.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's worth pursuing with. The back 5 including AOC seems to work and I do like Shinnie at left back as good as he's been in the midfield. AOC sitting as a proper shield to let McLean and Christie roam forward. Position on the right the most up for grabs with Stewart, Wright and GMS looking at their best bet of getting a game there. Rooney and May playing as striker and wide left in similar sort of way Juve do with Mandzukic seemed to work well on Saturday and we got a convincing win. Might not be the right way to go every game but should definitely be using it again very soon. I just hope he doesn't throw Considine straight in and reshuffle Shinnie etc for next game. McKenna another solid game and should stay there with Arnason, let a partnership and understanding continue to develop.

I think it is worth sticking with but I doubt many teams will be as poor as Saints were on Saturday. My only fear is Considine going straight back into the team. If we play this XI with perhaps a change at right midfield and it seems to work then we should give it a proper run out.

We just looked so much more organised and solid in the middle of the park on Saturday, something we have badly missed. McKenna looks good so far too, a big lad who seemed very calm.

McKenna has played against teams who play to his strengths - long punts into our box. He will face a bigger challenge in our next two games. He's done very well so far though.

Indeed. Its too early to say whether he is the answer or not but promising start. I much prefer O'Connor at holding midfield too, I am not convinced he is a decent defender at all, gives me the absolute fear when he has the ball at the back.

Shinnie replacing Considine is kind of a given since the thing we would ordinarily miss would be his height which is replaced by playing O'Connor. The bigger issue was thought to be Shinnies protective tenacity in midfield which again appears to be being filled by O'Connor.

Wide right is up for grabs. Don't believe in putting a left footer there though so Wright and GMS would be a stretch. Stewart is the obvious candidate (different type like, never a winger) and I genuinely hope it works for him.

Maclean and Christie seems to be working in a Shinnie-less midfield.

Just leaves him to decide if he can force in Rooney May and, as Saturday showed, if he can then Bobs yer Uncles bidey in.

It seems to be the mobility of Maclean and particularly Christie that allows May and Rooney to swap about to apparently good effect.

I find Shinnie being the supposed protective player a bit of a myth. Has been more of a box to box player when in the middle and quite often found himself very far up the pitch for a holding player. AOC is more suited to that role if that's what it's to be as he is very much just a shield and won't (or at least shouldn't) be going on any crazy runs forward. Maybe this more than anything is what's lead to us being more solid defensively with two clean sheets and far less chances created against us.

As for attack, Rooney and May swapping between wide and through the middle can be effective in certain games as discussed. However, having Shinnie and Logan as 2 full backs who get forward, and are comfortable in doing so, is probably a big part in why we can get away with playing that system with no real wingers as such.

Funnily enough I was going to ask about Wrights 'footedness' as his speciality Is clearly cutting in onto his right. Point was he and GMS are played as wingers and wright on the right against Killie was shite. GMS bar one or two crosses against County and the Euro goal has been disappointing.

As I said, it's less important for Stewart as he's not going to be hitting any byline and swinging in a cross any time soon.

Funnily enough I was going to ask about Wrights 'footedness' as his speciality Is clearly cutting in onto his right. Point was he and GMS are played as wingers and wright on the right against Killie was shite. GMS bar one or two crosses against County and the Euro goal has been disappointing.

As I said, it's less important for Stewart as he's not going to be hitting any byline and swinging in a cross any time soon.

Don't think he was as bad as you say on the right v Killie. Just that he was getting bullied/fouled a lot & the ref let most of it go. Just the same as he did when Wright was on the left too.

Wrights best games for us have come ( or been more noticeable) on the left but that by no means means he is shit on the right.

Give the lad a chance to see if he can work up a wee partnership down the right with Logan.

I find Shinnie being the supposed protective player a bit of a myth. Has been more of a box to box player when in the middle and quite often found himself very far up the pitch for a holding player. AOC is more suited to that role if that's what it's to be as he is very much just a shield and won't (or at least shouldn't) be going on any crazy runs forward. Maybe this more than anything is what's lead to us being more solid defensively with two clean sheets and far less chances created against us.

As for attack, Rooney and May swapping between wide and through the middle can be effective in certain games as discussed. However, having Shinnie and Logan as 2 full backs who get forward, and are comfortable in doing so, is probably a big part in why we can get away with playing that system with no real wingers as such.

I had a similar conversation today at work.

Tin hat on. Whilst I think Shinnie is an effective midfielder, I do sometimes think he lacks the discipline to be the best midfielder we've got. A bit of a headless chicken running about flying into tackles and getting booked. It's probably why he will never get a look in in midfield for Scotland.

Often reminds me of how Willo Flood played in midfield for us.

Much prefer him at left back as it gives us far better balance and he can attack and defend effectively.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tin hat on. Whilst I think Shinnie is an effective midfielder, I do sometimes think he lacks the discipline to be the best midfielder we've got. A bit of a headless chicken running about flying into tackles and getting booked. It's probably why he will never get a look in in midfield for Scotland.

Much prefer him at left back as it gives us far better balance and he can attack and defend effectively.

Totally agree. Logan and Shinnie give us the width we've been missing post the departure of McGinn and Hayes. O'Connor in front of the centre backs allows McLean and Christie space to get on the ball and play in midfield.

Don't think he was as bad as you say on the right v Killie. Just that he was getting bullied/fouled a lot & the ref let most of it go. Just the same as he did when Wright was on the left too.

Wrights best games for us have come ( or been more noticeable) on the left but that by no means means he is shit on the right.

Give the lad a chance to see if he can work up a wee partnership down the right with Logan.

Fair dos. He was hardly alone in making a cunt of the Killie game.

Like I said, I think it's just a misconception about what type of midfield role Shinnie plays. He's not a holding midfielder as he gets forward too much to play that role, something AOC is more accustomed to as we've seen the past two games. If we can get a midfield formula that doesn't require Shinnie allowing him to play left back regularly then we're onto something. AOC holding with McLean/Tansey and Christie playing more advanced like Saturday should be given more of a chance to shine. Shame Christie can't play against Celtic but having him for the other 34 games is more than worth it. If Tansey not back for that game then might need a bit of a reshuffle unfortunately

He was simply not strong enough and wasn't getting fouled if it was Mackay-Steven that was pushed aside so easily there would be no mention of being fouled.be honest just cos he's a young local player seems to be excuses made for that performance.i like him he will be good but was so easily dispossessed in that game he just didn't look strong enough.
  • Downvote 1

He is and will be a regular but don't think he's up to starting every week yet.whats your point?

That you're making a point that doesn't need to be made. Wright will make mistakes and learn from them. He's shown massive potential so leniency will be shown while he learns his trade. GMS is an experienced professional who should know better, so we will be harder on him. It's a pointless comparison.

• Upvote 1

He was simply not strong enough and wasn't getting fouled if it was Mackay-Steven that was pushed aside so easily there would be no mention of being fouled.be honest just cos he's a young local player seems to be excuses made for that performance.i like him he will be good but was so easily dispossessed in that game he just didn't look strong enough.

But FnD said he was fouled and given no protection from the ref which wasn't the case why not just say he looked weak and was poor,that was my point Mackay-Steven just given as an example.

He was getting fouled, as many more were & the ref completely ignored most of them against us.

Go watch the game again for a good example of one against Wright where he clearly gets taken out in front so SS away end but the ref gives the foul the other way.

Wright is lightweight & young & is going to get fouled a lot more, especially given the type of player he is. GMS still gets it but has learned from it & the ref doesn't find it quite so easy to ignore the fouls against the more experienced older players ( though they still do in some cases)

Wright should be given as many games as his play deserves & right now he's more than earning his place.

Good enough, he's old enough & he's certainly good enough & will only get better with games.

I think he should be given the chance to stamp his name on the RW position to parter Logan going forward.

He's had his best games on the Left yes but teams will soon get used to his preference of cutting in onto his right foot.

Playing with Logan on the right & with Logan's love of the one/two passing I think they would work very well together. Especially if Wright learns as good a final ball in as Logan has.

• Upvote 1