Keeper On Trial - Sebastian Gessl

Guest the shepherd

At least we are searching in the foreign market for a change.

It's a start

We did that not too long ago as well with Josh Parker. With respect to Derek McInnes I don't think it is the easiest time trying to balance the books at Aberdeen with a new stadium away to be built (all being well and providing the NKS group don't get their tiresome way in court). I can understand why we have been pretty quiet in the transfer market although our lack of activity could cost us even before the domestic action kicks off.

We did that not too long ago as well with Josh Parker. With respect to Derek McInnes I don't think it is the easiest time trying to balance the books at Aberdeen with a new stadium away to be built (all being well and providing the NKS group don't get their tiresome way in court). I can understand why we have been pretty quiet in the transfer market although our lack of activity could cost us even before the domestic action kicks off.

Josh Parker not the best example really. He had played most of his years in England & had only been abroad for about two years prior to our loan lol

Grassi was about the only foreigner I remember him bringing in. Chidi was a waste of space

Guest the shepherd

Josh Parker not the best example really. He had played most of his years in England & had only been abroad for about two years prior to our loan lol

Grassi was about the only foreigner I remember him bringing in. Chidi was a waste of space

Him being Mark McGhee who took Davide Grassi from fifth tier Italian side Sorrento if my memory is still working right. Two years with Domzale and Red Star Belgrade is a decent grounding for any player whether they are a native or a foreigner. One for whatever reason just never worked out.

Sometimes you can strike it lucky in the transfer market, in this instance with unheard of goalkeepers, like Theo Snelders, but end up with a keeper who treats a football like a Hiroshima bomb, Bertrand Bossu.

Not so sure about that. It's not the first time we've offered a chance to a foreign player who doesn't have the best c.v under McInnes.

Him being Mark McGhee who took Davide Grassi from fifth tier Italian side Sorrento if my memory is still working right. Two years with Domzale and Red Star Belgrade is a decent grounding for any player whether they are a native or a foreigner. One for whatever reason just never worked out.

Sometimes you can strike it lucky in the transfer market, in this instance with unheard of goalkeepers, like Theo Snelders, but end up with a keeper who treats a football like a Hiroshima bomb, Bertrand Bossu.

Sorry my mistake, thought Grassi was a McInnes experiment.

Who else then has McInnes tried to, or succeeded in bringing in from foreign lands.

I cannot fault him for failing to find any but can fault him for not appearing to try & find any.

Parker was clearly not a result of foreign 'scouting' & more likely a result of a scout from U.K.

There is zero chance of the stadium getting built if we're fucking about with a depleted, cheaper squad trying to save a couple of hundred grand just to fulfil Phase 1 which (we were told) we had 3/5th of the 10mil cost raised.

There is zero chance of the stadium getting built if we're fucking about with a depleted, cheaper squad trying to save a couple of hundred grand just to fulfil Phase 1 which (we were told) we had 3/5th of the 10mil cost raised.

Got to agree on this point. Make cuts on the park & EVERYTHING else suffers as a consequence.

They want to keep (or even generate more) interest/support in the new stadium & all that goes with it, then they need to be improving things on the park as a main priority.

Not reducing things there or even just doddling on as normal.

The fans will start to leave again & the club will then start to blame the fans again for fkn off, rather than accepting that the club are the reason the fans are fkn off.

• Upvote 1

See what you are saying, the flip side of that is "fans and players alike won't find this exciting".

Also, can you give examples of obscurely-sourced players who went on to become a success?

Bit late in responding but off the top of my head:

David Platt, Jamie Vardy, thon cunt that Hamilton got from the Scottish 3rd Division, Lionel Messi was a 13 year old with a growth defect when Barcelona found to..admittedly they are 'relatively" obscure rather than truly obscure.

However even without the benefit of perfect recall, I seem to remember a number of threads where the point has been pressed that "other teams seem to be able to find obscure players that turn out to be good, our scouts must be shite"

The thing is, you definitely get the point, you are just being deliberitely obtuse with the question.

David Platt, Jamie Vardy, thon cunt that Hamilton got from the Scottish 3rd Division, Lionel Messi was a 13 year old with a growth defect when Barcelona found to..admittedly they are 'relatively" obscure rather than truly obscure.

However even without the benefit of perfect recall, I seem to remember a number of threads where the point has been pressed that "other teams seem to be able to find obscure players that turn out to be good, our scouts must be shite"

The thing is, you definitely get the point, you are just being deliberitely obtuse with the question.

Ian Wright.

The frog at the WC

Edit. I just noticed that Chris Waddle was soooo obscure he even managed to morph into David Platt

Vardy?!?! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Vardy scored 31 goals in 36 games for Fleetwood Town prior to going to Leicester. he wasn't plying his trade in the reserves for a 2nd tier German side.

Messi was 13y/o. He was also already being touted for great things, despite his problems.

Vardy?!?! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Vardy scored 31 goals in 36 games for Fleetwood Town prior to going to Leicester. he wasn't plying his trade in the reserves for a 2nd tier German side.

Messi was 13y/o. He was also already being touted for great things, despite his problems.

Fleetwood Town are very fucking obscure.

Nonsense. He was banging them in, making a name for himself. Unlike this 3rd+ choice goalie for an OBSCURE German side, who hasn't played any first team games in 4 years. The two don't even compare.

We're not trying to unearth the next Neuer here. We're just after some cheap keeper cover for a season while we develop a player we clearly think has some potential.

Nonsense. He was banging them in, making a name for himself. Unlike this 3rd+ choice goalie for an OBSCURE German side, who hasn't played any first team games in 4 years. The two don't even compare.

Nobody is comparing the two. Fleetwood Town are obscure. You probably couldnt find Fleetwood on a map. A nobody club that hardly anyone outside of Fleetwood (if such a place actually exists) cares about.

Hardly obscure for people down in England is it? Montrose is hardly obscure for us. If someone was banging in a goal a game we'd know about it.

You think being a top goal scorer for Fleetwood town is a guarantee of EPL success and anything other than obscurity?

Apparently you are sufficiently familiar with, and conversant with the exact details of the relationships of 2nd division German clubs with their players to know exactly why he wasn't being selected, whether there were any "non-football" issues, how effective their goalkeeping coaches are etc.

I applaud you for your extensive knowledge and diligent research.

On the above basis I must obviously retract my statement that taking a cheap as chips keeper in for a no commitment trial and maybe even a short contract might be worth a punt in the hope of unearthing the kind of unidentified talent that people regularly complain that we don't attempt to find.

Taking in a really cheap cover keeper that might turn out to be good.....crazy talk!!!

What were your thoughts on Cosgrove by the way?....lowest tier of English football, probably compatible with 2nd tier of German?

He wasn't in the reserves though eh?

• Downvote 1

We're not trying to unearth the next Neuer here. We're just after some cheap keeper cover for a season while we develop a player we clearly think has some potential.

I was laughing at the comment about comparing Leicester finding Vardy, top scorer in a league from the same country, to us finding a reserve keeper from a 2nd tier club in another country.

Nobody is comparing the two. Fleetwood Town are obscure. You probably couldnt find Fleetwood on a map. A nobody club that hardly anyone outside of Fleetwood (if such a place actually exists) cares about.

Again, nonsense. We are talking about an ENGLISH club signing the top scorer in an ENGLISH league a few tiers down. That's hardly obscure. It's like us knowing about the Rory Mcallister for Peterhead.