Amateur/junior Football

• 3 months later...

I’ve been monitoring the progress of cruden bay juniors as a lad I used to play with has recently signed for them. He was alright, just not great. They sit bottom of the league having conceded 19 and scoring twice in 3 games (think they got 8 past them in the cup too). Got me thinking, what’s the motivation to play for teams like that? Is it just to say you play juniors? These cunts would get a doing from most amateur teams. Seems bizarre. 

16 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I’ve been monitoring the progress of cruden bay juniors as a lad I used to play with has recently signed for them. He was alright, just not great. They sit bottom of the league having conceded 19 and scoring twice in 3 games (think they got 8 past them in the cup too). Got me thinking, what’s the motivation to play for teams like that? Is it just to say you play juniors? These cunts would get a doing from most amateur teams. Seems bizarre. 

LT?

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I was saying exact same when I watched Rothie beat them 13-0. I remember in juveniles when we used to pump teams 10 or 15-0 but the kids were forced to go by parent. Fuck knows why an adult would choose to get hammered every week. Its not for me thats for sure.

17 hours ago, Studebaker-90 said:

LT (formerly known as LC) that i played amateurs with has just signed for them. Im also following their progress. 

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, slippers said:

I was saying exact same when I watched Rothie beat them 13-0. I remember in juveniles when we used to pump teams 10 or 15-0 but the kids were forced to go by parent. Fuck knows why an adult would choose to get hammered every week. Its not for me thats for sure.

It’s not as if they would get paid at that level? Maybe they don’t have to pay to play but I’d rather pay a fiver and play a competitive game than not pay and get hammered every week. 

10 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

It’s not as if they would get paid at that level? Maybe they don’t have to pay to play but I’d rather pay a fiver and play a competitive game than not pay and get hammered every week. 

Most junior sides pay something - even if its just £20/£30 a game. Some of the better ones pay more. Doubtful the likes of Cruden Bay do though - hence they end up the whipping boys most years. Newmachar were similar.

1 minute ago, dazzy_deff said:

Most junior sides pay something - even if its just £20/£30 a game. Some of the better ones pay more. Doubtful the likes of Cruden Bay do though - hence they end up the whipping boys most years. Newmachar were similar.

Aye that’s what I mean, at that level. Surely better off playing for a decent amateur outfit. 

31 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Aye that’s what I mean, at that level. Surely better off playing for a decent amateur outfit. 

Certainly wouldn't be for me as a grown adult to give up Saturdays to get hammered every game. 

Cruden Bay seems to be a stepping stone for boys leaving juveniles. Chance for them to stand out against more established junior sides maybe and get a move.

On 8/21/2023 at 2:23 PM, dazzy_deff said:

When did Newmachar get a junior team?

I only remember them being a middle of the road amateur team. 

1 hour ago, shut up meg said:

When did Newmachar get a junior team?

I only remember them being a middle of the road amateur team. 

Newmachars had a junior side for at least 10 years. We lost one of our young players my last season of amateurs to them. Just noticed they are in superleague now after mostly being in the first division. 

On 8/21/2023 at 12:12 PM, Studebaker-90 said:

Just spoke to my mate LT who's signed for Cruden Bay

£20 a week.

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2023 at 10:25 AM, slippers said:

How they doing these days since other than thumping a bunch of idiots 13-0?

Still got a soft spot for them after all these years.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2023 at 6:35 PM, Studebaker-90 said:

It should be all about playing. Find the best team you can that you'll actually get a game for rather than wanting to be at a better club where you get 5 or 10 minutes every week. I see no value in saying we won this or that league or cup if you never had much to do with it. If that means you need to play for a shit team coz your a shit player then so be it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...