#151 ONLINE   RAZOR

RAZOR

Bird > Word

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

I'd have loved this to be in Edinburgh. Pity.
'Parkrun isn't about convenience, it's a way of life.' - dave_min

#152 OFFLINE   dave_min

dave_min

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,829 posts
  • Joined 01-October 05

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

I'd have loved this to be in Edinburgh. Pity.

There'd be even more empty seats at Murrayfield.

Idiot.

------
2013 Best Newcomer

2014 Best Newcomer

small_gold_star.pngsmall_gold_star.png

Awww Dave, you're super. :-)

#153 ONLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 30,290 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:22 AM

Cup Semis are played at the National Stadium

Deal with it

#154 OFFLINE   Sooper-hanz

Sooper-hanz

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,765 posts
  • Joined 12-November 15

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Deal with it

You just roll over and let them tickle your belly .

limericks etc..,

#155 ONLINE   shut up meg

shut up meg

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,961 posts
  • Joined 14-August 16

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Deal with it

That's only in the last 15-20 years though MT.

They must have changed the rules to hold the games at Hampden, they can change them again.

It doesn't do the credibility of the competition any good when 2/3rds of the stadium is empty.

Easter Road of Tynecastle would have been a better venue.

#156 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 15,461 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

still to be convinced on nwakali starting for the semi final. need him to get more game time in the three remaining games

COYR!

#157 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 15,461 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:21 PM

in fact get him playing for the u20s too

COYR!

#158 OFFLINE   Chewie37

Chewie37

Wookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,747 posts
  • Joined 03-July 14

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

still to be convinced on nwakali starting for the semi final. need him to get more game time in the three remaining games

He was decent enough today I thought? Him and Ball seem solid enough to play, neither have played badly lately, maybe not spectacular, but they’ll do the job I think
I've moved to California

#159 OFFLINE   cruzcampo3

cruzcampo3

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Joined 03-December 14

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Playing the semis at Hampden defeats of the big day out for the final.

Ally Begg and The 2014 fans are killing this club

#160 OFFLINE   TheRock

TheRock

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

Not convinced that semis need to even be at a neutral venue. Would it be the worst thing if the draw just decided on a home team like all the previous rounds? I guess a few bucks would be lost, especially if an Old Firm team get an away draw but they could just rig the draw so the Old Firm get a home draw or if they are both in the semis then they can play each other. I guess they wouldn't even need to change anything then M I RITE?

#161 OFFLINE   mcdougall(4)

mcdougall(4)

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Joined 07-February 17

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Deal with it

For no real reason

#162 OFFLINE   G31DON

G31DON

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Joined 02-February 14

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

For no real reason

To make money for authorities and to justify having a huge stadium that hardly gets used.

#163 ONLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 30,290 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

For no real reason

Are Scotland only country to do it?

#164 ONLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 30,290 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:42 PM

To make money for authorities and to justify having a huge stadium that hardly gets used.

Pathetic

Wonder if any other country has folk questioning the reasoning for a national stadium

Cringe

#165 OFFLINE   cruzcampo3

cruzcampo3

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  • Joined 03-December 14

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

Pathetic
Wonder if any other country has folk questioning the reasoning for a national stadium
Cringe

You ateending Millerman?

Ally Begg and The 2014 fans are killing this club

#166 OFFLINE   mcdougall(4)

mcdougall(4)

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts
  • Joined 07-February 17

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

England too 

Most nations don't have a national stadium, its a strange anachronism of the Uk really.

#167 OFFLINE   Chewie37

Chewie37

Wookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,747 posts
  • Joined 03-July 14

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:30 PM

But it's the "heart and soul of Scottish Football".........
I've moved to California

#168 ONLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

Pathetic

Cringe

Yup, England regularly debate it.

#169 ONLINE   RAZOR

RAZOR

Bird > Word

• Members
  • 23,050 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:05 PM

Is anyone else slightly concerned that our makeshift team for this such as Ball at RB isn't going to get minutes until the day? Today would have been a perfect opportunity to start at least practicing the formation given Dundee offered jack shit?

#170 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 15,461 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

Nwakali was the first bit of that.

Arnason/Ball will surely get minutes over the next three games. Even potentially Reynolds coming in from the cold

COYR!

#171 ONLINE   RAZOR

RAZOR

Bird > Word

• Members
  • 23,050 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

A fine opportunity to give him the full 90 today. No need to take off at all

#172 ONLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 30,290 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:36 PM

You ateending Millerman?

Need to check I've not got a squash game mate

#173 OFFLINE   Panda

Panda

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:22 PM

I decided to waste 15 minutes finding out (and another 15 writing all this).

Countries that have a national stadium, and also a national cup:-

Dont play semi-finals at a neutral venue, instead the team drawn first is at home

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland*

*Some suggestion that in Switzerland the home club has to give 50% of the tickets to the away club, but I couldn't verify that and wasn't arsed enough to check it.

Play semi-finals over two legs

Bulgaria, Cyprus, Faroe Islands, Greece, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Turkey

Play semis at a neutral venue, but not necessarily the national stadium.

Northern Ireland, Ukraine

These two appear to actually use their heads and pick a venue that suits the two clubs.

Play all semis at the national stadium even if it means they're a fucking laughing stock

England, Scotland

England only started doing it after they built the new Wembley. Before that the tradition was to play all semis at truly neutral venues. Edinburgh even hosted an FA Cup semi-final once. But now they are going to play Tottenham's semi at Wembley, even though it's been their home stadium all season, because they can't bear play it anywhere else.

In Scotland, it wasn't always Hampden, though generally it was Glasgow. Usually both semis were played on the same day at 3pm on a Saturday so of course had to be different stadiums. Often one semi was at Hampden and the other at Celtic Park. Though quite often they used common sense and used Tynecastle, Dens Park etc, usually when Aberdeen were playing someone other than the Old Firm. In fact in 84, 85, 86, 88, 90 and 93 - six Scottish Cup semi-finals in a row - Aberdeen played them all either at Tynecastle or Dens Park. They played St Mirren in 1982 at Celtic Park (which actually drew a bigger crowd than Rangers v Forfar at Hampden) and the replay was at Dens, but they made Forfar travel to Hampden again in midweek for their replay with Rangers so it wasn't always sensible thinking.

1994 was the first time (in recent memory anyway) that the SFA decided the semis would be at Hampden, which led to Aberdeen and Dundee United playing at Hampden not once, but twice when they sent us back down for a replay in front of just under 14,000.

They moved again when Celtic used Hampden as a home ground for a season, so Celtic/Hibs was at Ibrox, but they kept the final at Hampden, and then moved them again when Hampden was being redeveloped (They tossed a coin to determine Celtic would be at home to Rangers in 98), and in 1999 they wanted the new Hampden just for the final so played the semis at Ibrox and Celtic Park.

Only after that did Hampden then get kept for every semi, even though the lunchtime kick-offs made them even less appealing than before.

So there you have it. It's not a normal thing or even tradition, and the SFA should absolutely rethink it. But they're based at Hampden and means they don't have to travel anywhere, and they clearly do not give a fuck about the fans.

Aberdeen led the fight to get a 50/50 split at cup finals. They should lead the fight on this one.

Edited by Panda, 17 March 2018 - 10:25 PM.

#174 OFFLINE   ABZ RED

ABZ RED

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 02-June 08

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

Aberdeen led the fight to get a 50/50 split at cup finals. They should lead the fight on this one.

Who led the fight? Milne or any current lickspittle?

#175 OFFLINE   TheRock

TheRock

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:04 PM

Does TV have anything to do with it? Like Sky are showing both semis I think (with BBC showing our one as well) so do Sky get to say 'aye, we're not setting up twice in 2 days in 2 different locations when you said they'd both be at the same place'. I'm not defending it if that is the case (the opposite if anything), I just wonder if Sky money is the reason that common sense is apparently disregarded on this and we are going to have a semi final played in front of a less than half full stadium.

#176 OFFLINE   Panda

Panda

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:06 PM

Who led the fight? Milne or any current lickspittle?

Not sure. The club appealed, and then the fans group at the time launched a legal bid which the club "supported" but pretty sure it fell apart when the club didn't offer to help fund the legal costs. I remember the whole thing even making it onto the TV programme Watchdog. I don't think the appetite from the club was there to actually block the cup final going ahead (even though it'd have been epic if they had).

https://www.google.c...ts-1-461923/amp

After the final, the club helped push 50/50 splits in future and Hibs then benefitted in the 2001 final, but I don't know who at the club was the driver behind that.

But the club and support at least showed some balls then and got things changed. They released a statement last year criticising the Morton semi being at lunchtime and at Hampden, which clearly had zero effect. They need to actually raise the issue with the SFA and say that if they reach future semis then alternative venues should be considered. Maybe they'll get a fairer hearing when the new chief executive is appointed, the likes of McRae and the other idiot whose name escapes me don't know what day it is half the time.

#177 OFFLINE   Panda

Panda

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,235 posts
  • Joined 14-November 05

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:10 PM

Does TV have anything to do with it? Like Sky are showing both semis I think (with BBC showing our one as well) so do Sky get to say 'aye, we're not setting up twice in 2 days in 2 different locations when you said they'd both be at the same place'. I'm not defending it if that is the case (the opposite if anything), I just wonder if Sky money is the reason that common sense is apparently disregarded on this and we are going to have a semi final played in front of a less than half full stadium.

I wouldn't think so seeing that Sky usually show two ties from each round so are having to set up at different stadiums.

However, Hampden is better from a media point of view than other other stadium due to the facilities there, and the fact the SFA are based there means they have as much access as they like, so there's no doubt that it's less hassle for them to host it there which is why they do and because no-one challenges it they get away with it.

#178 OFFLINE   TheRock

TheRock

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:17 PM

I wouldn't think so seeing that Sky usually show two ties from each round so are having to set up at different stadiums.

Well, they definitely have the resources to do it, I'm not doubting that. I just wonder if even still being able to set up once rather than twice is something they'd prefer to do to the point of insisting on it. This isn't something that only becomes possible once we get to the semis and neutral grounds are used.

#179 OFFLINE   G31DON

G31DON

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Joined 02-February 14

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:45 PM

Pathetic

Cringe

I shouldn't bother, but...why is it a pathetic cringe to ask "Do we need a national stadium?"
Not that I did in my post either.

#180 ONLINE   strachanmcgheegoal

strachanmcgheegoal

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,607 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Some fine research Panda loon. Dont forget the Hillsborough impact in Guffland also.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Match Thread (Scottish Cup)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users