Ross County V Aberdeen (5Th Round)

Guest RosemountRed

Yeah it's a weird one as o Connor clearly looks a better player but we never looked comfortable with him

Not weird at all. Taylor is much more comfortable when the ball is dropping out of the sky with a Garneresq thug making straight for him forearms first. But to be fair Des did get hung out a wee bit, the cup final in particular, by getting shifted onto his weaker left to try to accommodate him and Taylor and hasn't really had a chance since. But then that's because we're winning and 2nd. I don't care if we look shite whilst we're doing it.

I think our weakness at the moment is our defences inability to play football. The result of this is that too many times during the game our best attribute the midfield is bypassed and the ball is lobbed at Rooney with the obvious outcome, we lose possession and then the defence is defending another attack. The fact that Lewis has had very little to do means that the defence is doing well enough but with Taylor, Reynolds and to a lesser extent Considine at the back we look nervous and we are making significant errors during a game but have been a tad fortunate to go on this run of games.

Now O'Connor made mistakes leading to his exit from the first 11 but he is comfortable on the ball, he looks to pass the ball out of defence taking the odd chance but that's how I want Aberdeen to play. Our midfield are all ball players and better with the ball to feet and Hayes and McGinn thrive off an accurate pass beyond the last defender. Our striker probably wins on average two meaningful balls in the air during the game so lets get O'Connor in the team and make sure the ball comes through the midfield.

The only dilemma for me is who do you drop? I appreciate what Taylor offers the defence (strength and height) as long as he keeps it simple and O'Connor and Logan look to support him i.e. sweeping up behind him as an error will happen and look to make their self available for an easy short pass. So its got to be Reynolds or Considine for me.

I think our weakness at the moment is our defences inability to play football. The result of this is that too many times during the game our best attribute the midfield is bypassed and the ball is lobbed at Rooney with the obvious outcome, we lose possession and then the defence is defending another attack. The fact that Lewis has had very little to do means that the defence is doing well enough but with Taylor, Reynolds and to a lesser extent Considine at the back we look nervous and we are making significant errors during a game but have been a tad fortunate to go on this run of games.

Now O'Connor made mistakes leading to his exit from the first 11 but he is comfortable on the ball, he looks to pass the ball out of defence taking the odd chance but that's how I want Aberdeen to play. Our midfield are all ball players and better with the ball to feet and Hayes and McGinn thrive off an accurate pass beyond the last defender. Our striker probably wins on average two meaningful balls in the air during the game so lets get O'Connor in the team and make sure the ball comes through the midfield.

The only dilemma for me is who do you drop? I appreciate what Taylor offers the defence (strength and height) as long as he keeps it simple and O'Connor and Logan look to support him i.e. sweeping up behind him as an error will happen and look to make their self available for an easy short pass. So its got to be Reynolds or Considine for me.

Tried it in the cup final. Didn't work due to both Taylor and Reynolds being right footed. Would a lesser team exploit it to the same degree?

If the opportunity presented itself (I.e 3-0 up and cruising) I'd be interested to see O'Connor in the Shinnie role, Shinnie to Left back and Consi to CH. Think of Des as our Draper. suspicion we'd just slip to a back 5 and invite trouble onto us but then a/ we should be able to deal with it and b/ that might open them up at the back.

Not weird at all. Taylor is much more comfortable when the ball is dropping out of the sky with a Garneresq thug making straight for him forearms first. But to be fair Des did get hung out a wee bit, the cup final in particular, by getting shifted onto his weaker left to try to accommodate him and Taylor and hasn't really had a chance since. But then that's because we're winning and 2nd. I don't care if we look shite whilst we're doing it.

Tried it in the cup final. Didn't work due to both Taylor and Reynolds O'Connor being right footed. Would a lesser team exploit it to the same degree?

If the opportunity presented itself (I.e 3-0 up and cruising) I'd be interested to see O'Connor in the Shinnie role, Shinnie to Left back and Consi to CH. Think of Des as our Draper. suspicion we'd just slip to a back 5 and invite trouble onto us but then a/ we should be able to deal with it and b/ that might open them up at the back.

Enough of this pish. O'Connor got into the team playing left centre back and we were all raving about him. Some of the best centre back pairings ever have both been right footed.

• Downvote 1

Not sure about your remedy but your analysis is spot on. There was a while when Lewis looked to roll it out as often as he could but he too has given up on the defence to build from the back, so he kicks from hand. I despair of Reynolds in particular as he often has time to select a short or long pass but usually just boots it clear.

Enough of this pish. O'Connor got into the team playing left centre back and we were all raving about him. Some of the best centre back pairings ever have both been right footed.

Don't get me wrong. I 100% agree. (Although I thought it was Taylor's injury that got him in?) But yes, composed build up play from the back is his forte. But currently Reynolds is being picked ahead of him presumably, and solely from what I can see, because of his left footedness.

Guest RosemountRed

This is a huge game for us, all we have left is the Scottish Cup.

I don't know what team we should go with, Rooney and Taylor been pretty poor lately. Few decisions for Derek to make.

Can Christie play?

Don't get me wrong. I 100% agree. (Although I thought it was Taylor's injury that got him in?) But yes, composed build up play from the back is his forte. But currently Reynolds is being picked ahead of him presumably, and solely from what I can see, because of his left footedness.

He got into the team at left centre half playing with Taylor then moved across when Taylor got injured.

Guest RosemountRed

Ash played well on Saturday and deserves to keep his place against Ross County.

Stick on another striker in place of Rooney for first half.

Will be a tough tie but we are the better team so should win.

He plays well against shite teams and shite against good teams.

Guest RosemountRed

He was certainly horrific against the tims last week.

Nae too confident on the first part of your statement like.

Nah, nor am I.

He need spunted.

Guest RosemountRed

Maybe in Main Stand next to Corporate Area better described as couple of containers with glazed sides

So County can't even sell 4,000 for a pretty big Scottish Cup game against Aberdeen, pretty pathetic.