Aberdeen V Sevco (Post-Match Reaction)

10 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Im not a one game doom and gloom merchant.  Yesterday was exactly what I expected.  We were under prepared/performing all across the park.  But as a team and a squad FOR THIRD I was reasonably happy with what I saw.  

I am amazed that anybody could say that they were reasonably happy with anything yesterday.

Hernandez got the man of the match from Hartley yesterday purely on the basis that he was less shit than the other players.

No player should get more than a 5 out of 10 on yesterday's performance and the worst performers being McInnes and Ojo.

10 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And theres your problem.  If the club had the same ambition as in the 80's you'd be right.  But third is now acceptable.  3rd IS the working philosophy.  Derek will deliver 3rd (ignore last year's premature end - we'd have been 3rd and it would have been bonuses all round).

I agree on your point about physical versus skillful football.  But regrettably yesterday wasn't the game to judge the latter.  That comes when we're against, frankly, shite and we still try to do exactly the same thing and look no more prepared for what happens in the event that it doesn't work (because they have two big centre halves standing 4 yards off our sole centre forward.  Thats where we differ on Ojo.  I personally think against the lower quality sides we're a better ball retaining side with him - crablike, non penetrative and sideways as fuck for sure -  but at least we've got the pissin ball.  Quite happy to replace him with someone who does the same thing and adds a bit of forward movement.  Same goes for Europe.  Everyone knows our tactic is punt it to Cosgrove and see what happens.  Well, in Europe what happens is the wasted ball comes straight back at you, at speed.

Im not a one game doom and gloom merchant.  Yesterday was exactly what I expected.  We were under prepared/performing all across the park.  But as a team and a squad FOR THIRD I was reasonably happy with what I saw.  

But I reserve the right to change that opinion after a shite 1-1 at McDairmaid

Under performed.  Un prepared.  no fight.  same shit from a manager who still has a job and out performs Houdini. He was probably in the sevco dressing room telling Gerrard and his team of muppets how wonderful they were.  I wouldn’t laugh at hearts if Mcinnes is still in charge at seasons end this team will be joining them in the championship.   

• Site Sponsor

The loss is entirely down to McInnes and his negative tactics.

giving them the ball and allowing them to shift it around with ease with no one getting in their faces at all first half was suicide.

he can blame the loss of Cosgrove and Main (and no doubt he will) but as said above, Anderson was hung out to dry.

whats the point in playing Anderson on his own up front but not changing the style of play?

when the changes finally came, although we didn't really threaten we looked better and at least stopped them having so much of the ball. 

Should have left Anderson on with the new guy and had a real go but as per with McInnes, it was "damage limitation"

Wonder how long Cormack will let this go before telling the bearded one to pack up and go.

if we lose to a better team, I'll accept a loss.

losing to Sevco in this manner wasn't down to how brilliant Gerrard had them playing, this was down to McInnes and his fucking crap tactics yet again.

same old, same old

• Upvote 1

Only saw the highlights. Looked a pretty turgid game (unless of course AFC have edited out a heap of highlights). 

Considine's challenge was a red card, but should it not have been a red card for both players (if there is such a thing)?  Or does Arfields double foot stamp get a pass because he came off worse? 

Lastly, when the home strip first came out, having viewed it via the photos taken in Considines back garden I thought it was hideous. Now that I have seen it in action, I still think its hideous. 

It was pretty much as I expected. Better to forget about it as quickly as possible.

Presuming we plan to lay down to Celtic in the fourth game then the next two are huge for us.

I'm not worried yet but I wouldn't be surprised if we are worrying at 1pm next Sunday.

Edmondson, Hayes, Kennedy and McGinn all starting the next two games should see an improvement

Listened to it on the Radio as was out and about all day yesterday. Willie Miller and the other commentators could see the issues and were calling for changes so why the hell could McInnes not?

At one point when one of the Sevco central defenders took the ball for a run up the park with no Aberdeen players stopping him, it was commented "how many times have we seen the likes of Ajer do that against Aberdeen at Pittodrie, they need to stop allowing that"

It's nae fucking rocket science lads.

I was happy with the line up when it came out, bench looked very strong but it was oh so typical of him to not use his full amount of subs as well, personally I'd have had Ojo off at half time or by the 55th minute, given Edmondson a go upfront alongside Anderson.  As said by others Anderson was hung out to dry, the lad had 6 touches and the closest to the rangers box was 30yards out, not to mention how isolated he was as well and lumping balls at him when he's 5ft8 and his marker, Goldson is 6ft3, there is no joint up thinking from McInnes.

Couple of positives for me was how well Hayes slotted in but it's not ideal how reliant we'll be on a 33 year old going forward.  Hernandez another positive came through the game pretty well so I'm excited to see more of him as the season goes on.

7 minutes ago, Millertime said:

come on, considine did well?

His passing and throw ins were an utter embarrassment 

He was pish, he gets such an easy ride here it's unreal, only god knows what he was doing for their goal, waltzing half way up king street, also Aribo absolutely done him in the first 5mins as well, he needs binned.

59 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

And theres your problem.  If the club had the same ambition as in the 80's you'd be right.  But third is now acceptable.  3rd IS the working philosophy.  Derek will deliver 3rd (ignore last year's premature end - we'd have been 3rd and it would have been bonuses all round).

I agree on your point about physical versus skillful football.  But regrettably yesterday wasn't the game to judge the latter.  That comes when we're against, frankly, shite and we still try to do exactly the same thing and look no more prepared for what happens in the event that it doesn't work (because they have two big centre halves standing 4 yards off our sole centre forward.  Thats where we differ on Ojo.  I personally think against the lower quality sides we're a better ball retaining side with him - crablike, non penetrative and sideways as fuck for sure -  but at least we've got the pissin ball.  Quite happy to replace him with someone who does the same thing and adds a bit of forward movement.  Same goes for Europe.  Everyone knows our tactic is punt it to Cosgrove and see what happens.  Well, in Europe what happens is the wasted ball comes straight back at you, at speed.

But I reserve the right to change that opinion after a shite 1-1 at McDairmaid

Well I struggle to see how any Dons fan can use the word happy in connection with Yesterday, a good manager sets his standards in all games and no matter who you are playing that was the philosophy in the 80's and early 90's. It is easy to say we were under prepared as I would bet if we play the Huns again in 4 weeks time it would be the same performance and same outcome. I saw nothing Yesterday to suggest we will finish above Hibs or Motherwell. I expect him to play exactly the same next week in the hope of a narrow win it's what he does. Cormack says he has ambition and want to improve the product on the pitch he simply won't achieve this with Mcinnes in charge and I think most of us realise this

8 minutes ago, minijc said:

He was pish, he gets such an easy ride here it's unreal, only god knows what he was doing for their goal, waltzing half way up king street, also Aribo absolutely done him in the first 5mins as well, he needs binned.

He was particularly woeful yesterday.

Brutally shite.

40 minutes ago, Ernie McCracken said:

Lastly, when the home strip first came out, having viewed it via the photos taken in Considines back garden I thought it was hideous. Now that I have seen it in action, I still think its hideous. 

This was my positive take away from the match. Not buying that monstrosity was my best decision of the year.

24 minutes ago, Millertime said:

come on, considine did well?

His passing and throw ins were an utter embarrassment 

Can't argue there. Considine is dire. I don't get the love in for him. He's far too slow and cumbersome. It's embarrassing watching him take an age to get his feet from under him, before he panics and skelps the ball up the park to the opposition right back/centre half. 

Leon Balogun was unhappy with a challenge from Aberdeen defender Scott McKenna at Pittodrie that left the The Rangers debutant requiring medical attention on a head knock after colliding with a post.

Now self-inflicted injuries are the fault of opposition sides.

1 minute ago, Lencarl said:

Leon Balogun was unhappy with a challenge from Aberdeen defender Scott McKenna at Pittodrie that left the The Rangers debutant requiring medical attention on a head knock after colliding with a post.

Now self-inflicted injuries are the fault of opposition sides.

Typical Huns and Macgregor rolling about holding his head when nobody touched him

3 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

Dreadful. There was absolutely no intention of competing with them yesterday. They’re nae even good which makes it even more pathetic 

^^^ this. It's a distinctly average sevco team, with a distinctly obese and quite obviously disinterested Harvey leading the line yet we failed to put a glove on them. Using the same hoofball tactics that we employ when Cosgrove/Main are fit was just bizarre but frankly not unexpected. Things improved marginally when Edmondson came on and I'd expect him to start against St J...…..Anderson can take no blame for what happened yesterday but he must realise that his time is up with us. (although given our history with injuries over the past few years, it would come as no surprise to see Edmondson being carted off to Perth Royal in an ambulance within half an hour  after kick off on Sat)

Ojo getting it tight from most us here for what was quite frankly a shocking performance. But his general shiteness just covered up for utterly anonymous performances from Bryson and Ferguson. Campbell certainly improved the midfield when he came on but fully expect McGeouch rather than him to come into the side at Perth rather than him should McInnes decide to make changes. 

Defence were atrocious at the sevco goal. Taylor mainly at fault but Considine and McKenna have to share at least some of the blame for being posted missing in action. Hopefully Hoban gets up to speed pdq. 

3 points at McDiarmid is now a must. Anything less and we could be looking at a long dreary season ahead 

23 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

3 points at McDiarmid is now a must. Anything less and we could be looking at a long dreary season ahead 

Exactly.  That squad, used properly should be a shoe in for 3rd. It wont be a pretty third and it wont be a comfortable 3rd, not as comfortable as it should be.  Like you it would be very us to now draw 1-1 with St J having shown that even against utter pish we actually have no plan B.  Then the pant pishing can correctly commence.

Re Considine my judgement on him on was based on the number of times he was given a suicide ball out on the left when pressed (is that actually allowed?) and managed to do something with it unbefitting of the limited footballer that he clearly is.  Like clapping the fat lad as he manages to finish the run at sports day.  But, in my annual August post, IN THE ABSENCE OF A PROPER LEFT BACK Andy did OK.  Certainly wasn't the worst on display.  Fair play to Darren Fletcher on Sky for calling out Arfield - had Considine been a fraction later then he was on a stretcher and Arfield would have had, em, a right good stern look from Bobby (Collum would obviously have added his dramatic "No more" hand gesture).      

1 hour ago, Sheepo said:

Well I struggle to see how any Dons fan can use the word happy in connection with Yesterday, a good manager sets his standards in all games and no matter who you are playing that was the philosophy in the 80's and early 90's. It is easy to say we were under prepared as I would bet if we play the Huns again in 4 weeks time it would be the same performance and same outcome. I saw nothing Yesterday to suggest we will finish above Hibs or Motherwell. I expect him to play exactly the same next week in the hope of a narrow win it's what he does. Cormack says he has ambition and want to improve the product on the pitch he simply won't achieve this with Mcinnes in charge and I think most of us realise this

I didnt say I was happy with yesterday.  Yesterday was exactly what I said it would be two months ago and got slagged for daring to suggest it.  Derek writing off even a point right from the start, standing off them  and allowing them to do their thing.  And of course the compulsory "how good were they" Jim White-esp post match interview. 

I was happy with the squad we've assembled (with our budget), happy to see Bryson actually last 70 minutes for a change, happy to see Fernandez not look like a rabbit in the headlights, happy to see Mckenna back to fitness.  And frankly happy that a fully prepared hun didn't take us to the cleaners in a TIAR statement.

Obvious concerns all expressed above not least formation, Cosgrove or not.  But I'll be concerned if we see the same shit next week, then for August and then out comes the McInnes tombola just in time for whatever Lithuanian posties we draw this year. Then we get to the first rotation in October and nobody, including the players, even knows what our first 11 is.  But anyone slitting their wrists purely about yesterday  simply hasnt been watching for the last 5 years (or 40 like me). 

Looking at the first team squad, with the exception of the lack of options up front at the moment, there's no reason we couldn't have tried to impose ourselves on the opposition. Unfortunately, McInnes' negativity meant we never got a foothold. The players look to the manager to set the tone but he's more interested in praising the opposition than instilling his players with the confidence to go out and succeed. 

Looking at our 11 and bench we actually have a really decent squad. Obviously short on options uptop at moment. Will see how the team does against St Johnstone but if it’s more of the same serious questions have to be directed at cormack and if the coaching staff were even invited to the philosophy meeting.

Problem seems to be he wants to play 433 but doesn't know how to coach his players to do it so the wingers hug the touch line when we are possession instead of at least one of them coming inside or playing in the channel and then sit too deep and in front of the fullbacks when we aren't in possession.

The high press saw Bryson joining Bruce but neither Kennedy nor Hayes pushing up and Ferguson too deep as well.

Pish.

Same old stubbornness from McInnes. 

It wouldn't matter which players you give him or how big a budget. The manager is never going to change his spots.  He's just too cautious and stuck in his ways to change.  Playing the same tactics with Anderson upfront is crazy but unfortunately wasn't even a fucking surprise. Plus sitting off letting the Huns play yet again and at home as well.  Cowardly stuff. 

We'll make heavy weather of getting to 3rd or 4th when really we've got a big enough squad with some decent players to at least attempt to do much better. 

Think everybody has pretty much summed up that it was a shit show yesterday. Only thing I had to add, and I don't blame the player because I rate him, was that Ferguson seemed to be auditioning to become the new Paul McStay. Nearly every pass was sideways or back to Joe Lewis. That's on the manager though, I believe. 

The first problem we all saw was how unfit  certain players were. I have some sympathy that a regular pre-season could not have taken place due to COVID restrictions but its the same for all teams and we were miles behind the fitness levels of Rangers. 

I am surprised folk have not mentioned how bad Ferguson and Hayes were. Ferguson was invisible in the first half and I honestly cannot recall ever saying that about him. I counted at least five times when Hayes either passed the ball to a Rangers player or worse took a fresh air swipe at the ball. I also did not think Bryson looked any good (he reminded me of Gary casper the ghost Macdonald).

Positives were the substitutes all made a difference and looked sharp when they came on.

7 minutes ago, super_al said:

The first problem we all saw was how unfit  certain players were. I have some sympathy that a regular pre-season could not have taken place due to COVID restrictions but its the same for all teams and we were miles behind the fitness levels of Rangers. 

I am surprised folk have not mentioned how bad Ferguson and Hayes were. Ferguson was invisible in the first half and I honestly cannot recall ever saying that about him. I counted at least five times when Hayes either passed the ball to a Rangers player or worse took a fresh air swipe at the ball. I also did not think Bryson looked any good (he reminded me of Gary casper the ghost Macdonald).

Positives were the substitutes all made a difference and looked sharp when they came on.

The whole point of the 5 subs being allowed is to make up for the lack of pre season and lack of rest time due to congested fixtures, Mcinnes as usual used subs far too late and unsurprisingly didn't use all 5. 88 minutes gone down to 10 men and Mcinnes and his idiot assistant are only interested in reorganising the back 4 sums them up really