If not DM, What is the Alternative?

It's the mindset that is more important to me than the person. We have the third biggest playing budget in the league so we should be capable of attacking EVERY team in the league home or away and still finish third. This as opposed to our current safety first approach and finishing third (or indeed fourth as was the case last season).

I think it's a pointless question for the time being. Of course Milne is to blame......but with the record that some of Milne's past appointments possess, it's no wonder he views McInnes as the prodigal son. The new contract awarded only a few weeks back cements DM safely in the managers office for the next 18 months anyway.......UNLESS we find ourselves in relegation trouble by late February. Which is not really likely despite yesterday's lacklustre performance.

I honestly think that Milne will hang around to see the new stadium unveiled and take the plaudits for that then fairly rapidly sell his shareholding and get outta Dodge before anything can happen to sour his legacy. Mcinnes' contract runs out a year short of the new stadium's projected opening date. Unless we go into freefall (or an English club come calling) I think he will get a further extension taking him up to the end of our first season in there. At that point, with him being with us over 10 years (and with Wiggy gone/going) I think he would call it a day.

So the question for the fans should be.....do we want to fall to such shit levels (relegation candidates) that he gets booted prior to this or are we prepared to accept he could well be with us for the best part of 5 years....maybe with a chance of winning a Cup or 2 given a favourable draw?

I have been an advocate of Derek McInnes and what he has done with the club. You hear stories of how good a manager his players feel he is and how professional he has made the club since coming in. The guy has high standards but in reality is working with one hand tied behind his back. He will never win the league and cup competitions have been dominated by one team in recent years. The Europa League group stages are a huge task to qualify for and being compared to the old firm at every opportunity is not easy with the budgets available to both clubs. 

He has answered some doubters over various seasons with some big wins in Glasgow etc but ultimately he has finished short and went down without a fight in the end. He will no doubt keep us competitive and for me we will be clear third this season and have a couple of cup runs. 

Unfortunately we are stagnating as a club and it is up to the board to decide what direction they want us to go in. Do they go the extra mile and back the current manager further financially and stretch away from the other clubs in the league to challenge the old firm and progress in Europe?(highly unlikely with the new stadium) or do they stick with the same players and budget and take a gamble finding a manager who might just get a bit more out the current crop of players?

I'd say the likely decision will be neither and it will be stick with what we have and stay competitive. Get the new training ground and stadium up and running and then see how we sit financially. 

I look at the other players the clubs in this league have signed and I genuinely wouldn't touch many of them. I'd say nearly every club in the league outside the old firm would bite the hand off you for the majority of our summer signings. 

Any managerial change just now would come with a large amount of risk. A lot of people touted Jack Ross before he went down south and look at how that's working out for him now. We could go down the foreign route and end up like Kilmarnock or we could go down the Hibs route and end up with a guy who knows nothing about the game up here despite being a decent coach. 

I would be very interested though to see what calibre of manager we could attract just now. Debt free and a good budget for this league, new training ground and stadium in the pipeline and always a good fan base. You would like to think we would be a very attractive proposition for a lot of managers. I think its time for the board to stand up and be counted and as I said before either back the manager more financially or try something different as I can feel the fans turning on McInnes every dodgy result. 

Don’t disagree with anything you say there GDON21. But the board are apparently happy to stagnate at this level, I’d argue not a big enough proportion of our fan base will differ from that. Do I necessarily think he could/should be backed further? Meh! His transfer record is hardly inspirational. And you’d have be delusional to think he’s going to suddenly change and have a go in big games now, no?

I can understand frustration if ppl think the club is not progressing, but we have to be realistic.  What would be "the next level" for us, at this point?  Probably winning cup silverware regularly and europa league group stage football.

Can DM get us there?  I think he can.  True, he doesn't get to try forever.

That people (inc me) are happy with / like McInnes doesn't show lack of ambition, but rather realisation that he has taken us a step up and given us a bit of pride back, after 20 odd yrs of shite.

In any case, as the OP implies, there is hardly a long list of promising young (likely Scots) managers, who would be a good fit for us.

It will be interesting to see how Peter Grant gets on at Alloa.  Bar a year at norwich, (a while ago), he has no great managerial experience to speak of, though he has excellent experience as an assistant and coach at a good level in england.  His time at norwich didnt set the heather on fire, although he had a comfortably better win % than did McInness at Bristol and (I think) at a higher level - Premier League V Championship.

I can understand frustration if ppl think the club is not progressing, but we have to be realistic. What would be "the next level" for us, at this point? Probably winning cup silverware regularly and europa league group stage football.

Can DM get us there? I think he can. True, he doesn't get to try forever.

That people (inc me) are happy with / like McInnes doesn't show lack of ambition, but rather realisation that he has taken us a step up and given us a bit of pride back, after 20 odd yrs of shite.

In any case, as the OP implies, there is hardly a long list of promising young (likely Scots) managers, who would be a good fit for us.

It will be interesting to see how Peter Grant gets on at Alloa. Bar a year at norwich, (a while ago), he has no great managerial experience to speak of, though he has excellent experience as an assistant and coach at a good level in england. His time at norwich didnt set the heather on fire, although he had a comfortably better win % than did McInness at Bristol and (I think) at a higher level - Premier League V Championship.

You've really let the mask slip there...

Two defeats on the trot coupled with the arse cheeks being rampant = mass discontent (understandably). McInnes and Docherty have just signed contract extensions so a hefty compensation fee would be incurred if a change was to happen, at a time when the club will be looking to plough every available penny into the ongoing training facilities / stadium. If we'd received a few million from the Ryan Fraser situation and a further few million from sale of McKenna, maybe something would happen. It'll take the threat of relegation to make the board act. And no, I can't think of anyone we could afford that I think could do a better job with the budget currently available. We just have to suck it up for the time being I'm afraid.

So essentially, Milne has held the club to ransom and backed it into a corner by offering these extensions?

You've really let the mask slip there...

I've no idea what you are talking about.

I can't believe you just typed that.

Come on, so if he did really well as a manager you would never, ever consider him, in a million years?

(As it happens, I am not expecting him to do really well - just pointing out he has experience which suggests he has a chance of succeeding)

I've no idea what you are talking about.

Come on, so if he did really well as a manager you would never, ever consider him, in a million years?

(As it happens, I am not expecting him to do really well - just pointing out he has experience which suggests he has a chance of succeeding)

Like yourself, he is an absolute rabid bead rattler.  You'd absolutely love an unhinged papist, like yourself, in charge of Aberdeen.

In fairness however, looking at his CV, were the individual not Peter Grant, I'd probably have them marked as 'one to watch'.

His coaching career, and the list of clubs he's worked at down south, is quite impressive.  You are also correct in saying that, when he was his own man, he did better at Norwich than McInnes did at Bristol (That wouldn't have been hard though!).