Your Job

I like the flexibility i have. I can learn so it’s good for career but I’m relaxed enough to not take work too seriously

If you like the same as me the see above.

Met plenty good folk but I never gonna get upset by a colleague; don’t care enough about it.

50/50 - Think I'm quite good at what I do, but don't really like what it stands for

It is cushty enough, hours are pretty good, and get to spend plenty time on the hat. Death by spreadsheets though.

They're a largely inoffensive bunch. Don't really go out of my way to make friends at work, but can survive a night out with them once or twice a year.

Do you mostly like or mostly dislike your job? Or generally sit on the fence?

Would you recommend your job to others?

Do you generally like your colleagues?

Me:

Mostly like (just)

No

Yes

Aye. Extremely tying but get a good chunk of time off in the winter. Getting to where I want to go and look forward to a more healthy work/life balance in the future.

Certainly not everyone, but if you have the right attitude and work ethic it's very rewarding.

Generally aye, I fucking employed them. 99% of the time they are fine.

Not doing anything at the moment but the previous job I had I ended up hating, the pay, hours and hassle I got just wasn't worth it, changed to another company but same industry thinking it would help change my opinion on it but it only made me realise I had to get out of it, took a chance by just quitting then had a touch of luck, I wouldn't recommend people to go in to that line of work unless they were extremely desperate or just needed a part time job to help with uni, I also hated a good 90% of the people I worked with.

Not doing anything at the moment but the previous job I had I ended up hating, the pay, hours and hassle I got just wasn't worth it, changed to another company but same industry thinking it would help change my opinion on it but it only made me realise I had to get out of it, took a chance by just quitting then had a touch of luck, I wouldn't recommend people to go in to that line of work unless they were extremely desperate or just needed a part time job to help with uni, I also hated a good 90% of the people I worked with.

What line of work were you in?

Enjoy my job but I think that's partly due to knowing there's nothing else in the world I could do. I get to make a positive difference to people's lives, and as poofy as that sounds, its an intrinsic reward that I wouldn't get from fitting pipes/ doing spreadsheets/ anything else.

Ideal job - probably a wedding/ function DJ. Music and women. Shaaaba

Wouldn't recommend my job to most people. It's all about WANTING to do it.

Colleagues, I tolerate them. Don't do work nights out anymore and trying to stop sleeping with immediate colleagues now. Still sleep with the students though. They don't know any better.

• Upvote 1

What line of work were you in?

Worked in bookies for a couple of years, plan was to progress and get in to the office side of things but they wanted me to be a shop manager and I couldn't be arsed with the hassle.

Parents made him clean the kitchen.

Funny, my old man did pay me £100 a few times to cut the grass.

• Site Sponsor

Enjoy my job but I think that's partly due to knowing there's nothing else in the world I could do. I get to make a positive difference to people's lives, and as poofy as that sounds, its an intrinsic reward that I wouldn't get from fitting pipes/ doing spreadsheets/ anything else.

Colleagues, I tolerate them. Don't do work nights out anymore and trying to stop sleeping with immediate colleagues now. Still sleep with the students though. They don't know any better.

I doff my cap to you, Poodler.

Some of the shite I've heard and seen being dished out to NHS employees over the last 28+ years has been disgraceful.

I visit ARI or some healthcare facility every second month and the consultants/staff I've had to see have been first class.

Seen several dickheads (usually shell suit wearing neds and the like) almost "demanding" to be treated or complaining about one thing or another and dishing out shite to staff.

Wouldn't tolerate anything like that in my business - several dickheads have been "invited to leave" over the years.

"I get to make a difference to people's lives...."

That's a fucking great attitude.

Well done, sir.

Ignore all of that. He does it for the endless amount of drugs available.

I work for an unnamed service company.

Decent enough mob to work for with the odd trip to Helsinki and the like.

Colleagues are just your typical Noggies - zero crack, office hygiene has improved 10 fold since some Dundee mink moved away - every cloud.

I work for an unnamed service company.

Decent enough mob to work for with the odd trip to Helsinki and the like.

Colleagues are just your typical Noggies - zero crack, office hygiene has improved 10 fold since some Dundee mink moved away - every cloud.

Your company would be a lot more successful if you's actually came up with a company name.

Ignore all of that. He does it for the endless amount of drugs available.

Let's clarify something here

My work is all I've got. It's life and death, it's everything. I can't recreate that buzz when I leave there. I'm there when you're being told you've 4 months to live, I'm there when you need resuscitated, I'm there when you die, I'm even there in Post Mortem if you've died unexpectedly, I can't let it go. I've worked with the worst sex offenders in the country and murderers. And treated them like I would treat you or my mum. I don't even see my mum as much as I should, considering we live 100 feet apart. But when I go there with a pile of cards saying 'thank you *poodler* for making my husband/ wife/ son comfortable in their last days', or 'thank you for the opportunity to see my kids grow up', she knows I'm doing the right thing. Its cost me the only meaningful relationship I ever had because I just cant care about anything when I leave there. Day off, don't need to care, selfish behaviour incoming. I doubt I'll ever have a wife and kids because I'm shite at being reliable outside of work, my patients are my family. And I'm not saying I'm the best in the world at my job, I'm absolutely not. I'm just saying this is the ferocity with which it grips me. So I go thrill seeking. I abuse drink/ drugs and women as an easy comfort until it's back to doing real life again, real life being making a difference to those people in my care, regardless of personal opinion or prejudice. It's all I know how to do. I own property, car, the best guitars, holidays whenever I want. But as Mike Skinner said 'we came to this world with nothing, we leave with nothing but love, everything else is just borrowed'

I don't do it for the drugs. I do it because i have to.

Now where's that fucking cocaine

• Upvote 10

My work is all I've got. It's life and death, it's everything. I can't recreate that buzz when I leave there. I'm there when you're being told you've 4 months to live, I'm there when you need resuscitated, I'm there when you die, I'm even there in Post Mortem if you've died unexpectedly, I can't let it go. I've worked with the worst sex offenders in the country and murderers. And treated them like I would treat you or my mum. I don't even see my mum as much as I should, considering we live 100 feet apart. But when I go there with a pile of cards saying 'thank you *poodler* for making my husband/ wife/ son comfortable in their last days', or 'thank you for the opportunity to see my kids grow up', she knows I'm doing the right thing. Its cost me the only meaningful relationship I ever had because I just cant care about anything when I leave there. Day off, don't need to care, selfish behaviour incoming. I doubt I'll ever have a wife and kids because I'm shite at being reliable outside of work, my patients are my family. And I'm not saying I'm the best in the world at my job, I'm absolutely not. I'm just saying this is the ferocity with which it grips me. So I go thrill seeking. I abuse drink/ drugs and women as an easy comfort until it's back to doing real life again, real life being making a difference to those people in my care, regardless of personal opinion or prejudice. It's all I know how to do. I own property, car, the best guitars, holidays whenever I want. But as Mike Skinner said 'we came to this world with nothing, we leave with nothing but love, everything else is just borrowed'

Not sure about the bit about the best guitars but insightful post nonetheless.

Joined the oil industry over a decade ago straight out of uni. Ask me then and Id say that I was looking forward to a career in my chosen field.

Fast forward 10 years and currently about to go through the redundancy process for the 4th time and dont think ill make it this time.

The job paid very well and benefits are excellent - pays for a lifestyle we enjoy with nice holidays and comfortable enough as we bring up a young family. But the threat of having to go through redundancy process every other year is making me reconsider the industry Ive joined.

Colleagues are colleagues - im polite with most folk, dont get involved in the office bullshit and chat shit to the sound cunts. Too many snakes about so keep work and home life very much separate.

Thought you were a nurse?