The Mckenna Dilemma

I agree

But that's why we won't get anywhere near 10m for him if he is still learning how to deal with the likes of Sam Vokes

I sort of agree with you here.

Thing is though your measuring him against an EPL striker.

And the going rate for a young EPL defender isn't £10m - it's more like £20m.

So £10m isn't THAT far fetched really (I think it's a bit more than we can get but hopefully if clubs come in for the lad we at least ask for something around that and see where it goes. £7m or 8m maybe achievable?

I totally agree. The club should absolutely be the ones to decide to whom and for how much they sell players, if at all. I also would be pleased and very impressed if the board turned down an offer of say £6 million for any player. Can you even imagine saying that 4 or 5 years ago?! I hope Mckenna is here all season.

All I'm trying to put across is that there are far too many fans that just don't quite grasp how the real world of Scottish player transfers work. They seem to look at England, pick a number from there and hey presto....

Man City just signed today a young and highly rated defender from a Dutch prem club, Philippe Sandler. The lad is 21 and an international cap at that level. Man City paid £2.5 million for him.

21 and full international

the same club also paid 47-50m for a 22 year old cb

equally irrelevant

Anyone saying that we'd likely bend over easily for a relatively low offer, needs to remember that we aren't forced into anything by the bank anymore. Be a good test to see if Stewarty and the board have gained some nous

Milne trusts McInnes to run the whole football club. It will be McInnes decision what deal is good for the club and what money he needs of the deal to improve the overall team.

It's against a shite, epl wise, striker though who when he came on changed the game

Sorry, but van dijk went for 12m and had excelled in the champs league and was a Dutch international

6m is doing well

Yep.

But Van Dijk deal was in a totally different market. EPL clubs have far more money now.

Just look at a club by club summary of the transfers completed so far. Loads of players being bought for 12-15m who are complete nobodies.

PS - we aren't really far apart in thinking. Your saying 6 would be good, I'm saying 7 or 8 would be good. Not much difference

Milne trusts McInnes to run the whole football club. It will be McInnes decision what deal is good for the club and what money he needs of the deal to improve the overall team.

If we get multi million pound offer for a player I'm certain Milne won't just leave that to McInnes.

It's too big a financial decision for the club to just let the football manager make alone.

If we get multi million pound offer for a player I'm certain Milne won't just leave that to McInnes.

It's too big a financial decision for the club to just let the football manager make alone.

He'll advise on what is a good deal and the pro/con of holding on to future transfer windows

Yeah, like V said. I agree that McInnes will have a lot of input, but for what's financially best for the club long term, I'd think the board (this board has been decent I'd say) will have the final say. It's definitely a better balance nowadays between the manager and the board, but we'll see.

I totally agree. The club should absolutely be the ones to decide to whom and for how much they sell players, if at all. I also would be pleased and very impressed if the board turned down an offer of say £6 million for any player. Can you even imagine saying that 4 or 5 years ago?! I hope Mckenna is here all season.

All I'm trying to put across is that there are far too many fans that just don't quite grasp how the real world of Scottish player transfers work. They seem to look at England, pick a number from there and hey presto....

Man City just signed today a young and highly rated defender from a Dutch prem club, Philippe Sandler. The lad is 21 and an international cap at that level. Man City paid £2.5 million for him.

How many years did he have left on his contract?

Maybe they knew of & as a result HIT the release clause figure in his contract.

Unreliable source doesn't know the facts, yet is still desperately trying to devalue our own players ( he isn't the only one either) so many Arsehole's in our support it's crazy ;)

I think Swansea would want him quite cheaply so we should just rebuff them and wait and see who else takes an interest in the lad in years time.

Can't ever see him going straight to one of the top EPL sides but hopefully we sell to at least a lower ranking EPL team who are happy splashing a bit of cash.

The dream would be to sell to Southampton with a decent sell on percentage.... would only be a matter of time before Liverpool spend over the odds on him

He has looked good against spfl players

Up against Sam Vokes who is far from the elite in England he couldn't handle him and it led to us conceding an away goal

Thsts why the 2 markets aren't the same, put simply

Hahahahahahahaha

Because an EPL got the better of him in one game to score helped by a lucky deflection off one of our other players he cant handle players of Vokes level?

Loveren regularly gets his arse handed to him by players like Vokes and he played in the World Cup final.

Your simplistic view of the world is amazing

Hahahahahahahaha

Because an EPL got the better of him in one game to score helped by a lucky deflection off one of our other players he cant handle players of Vokes level?

Loveren regularly gets his arse handed to him by players like Vokes and he played in the World Cup final.

Your simplistic view of the world is amazing

McKenna was immense last Thursday. One lapse of concentration cost us but he's a young lad and needs to make these mistakes to improve.

@@Millertime did you watch the game?

Am I missing something?

Why would aberdeen choose to adhere to some valuation formula based on wages and other factors etc when there is no obligation for us to do so?

You are correct. Aberdeen have no obligation to sell at a price they're not comfortable with, no question. And from a testosterone-fuelled "we are Aberdeen and nobody fucks with us point of view", yes we can play hardball, there is no pressure to sell (unless the player has intimated he wants the offer to be considered, which let's be honest here, is very likely). But nobody is doubting this. AFC will be saying to him, listen Scott we'll let you speak to them when they get real with the transfer value; we think you're worth this amount and you don't want to go down there on this salary when other lesser players than you are getting this salary.

What we're saying is that Scott McKenna (and any footballer) has an intrinsic value and the way clubs arrive at these figures is pretty simple when you're involved in the thick of it; it's not computer game stuff. If Swansea have an offer accepted for £10m, McKenna's agent will negotiate the salary of a £10m player or else the deal will fall through. Swansea will realise this and they will have all of this factored in to the package they offer; transfer fee, clauses, signing-on fee, salary, bonuses etc.

Clearly if they think they'll be able to happily pay McKenna a salary of £10k per week (I've only plucked that out of the air to make this point), they're highly unlikely to spend £10m on him, probably more like £2m-£3m at that salary bracket, put another way his value to them in their arena, or what they think he is worth to them. If they think he is better and worth more, they will need to pay him more, quite simple, and reciprocally the transfer value will be more. Effectively, if Swansea are willing to pay £10m then they also need to be willing to pay him about £40k per week. It's very straightforward.

Where did he mention salaries?

In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary, come again?

Clearly if they think they'll be able to happily pay McKenna a salary of £10k per week (I've only plucked that out of the air to make this point), they're highly unlikely to spend £10m on him, probably more like £2m-£3m at that salary bracket, put another way his value to them in their arena, or what they think he is worth to them. If they think he is better and worth more, they will need to pay him more, quite simple, and reciprocally the transfer value will be more. Effectively, if Swansea are willing to pay £10m then they also need to be willing to pay him about £40k per week. It's very straightforward.

So Alfie Mawson is on £60-80k a week?!

So Alfie Mawson is on £60-80k a week?!

That's up to him, his agent, and the buying club to negotiate, depending on signing-on fees, length of contract, contract clauses etc. Publicised transfer fees also are often inflated to include signing-on fees and agents fees if there is a reason or an agreement between the parties to do so. For example, Mawson might have got a £1m signing on fee and his agent might have got a £1m fee resulting in a reduced overall transfer compensation fee to Swansea of £12m or something, thus is might have been in Fulham's financial interest to wrap up part of Mawson's overall contract package as an up-front capital payment and reduce their running costs on his salary. All sorts of ways these things are packaged, for a variety of accountancy reasons. Another example could also be that an up front compensation payment of £14m would actually be £15m if paid in instalments. These are a couple of reasons also why alot of transfer fees are now "undisclosed".