Minimum alcohol pricing - latest?

So whats the latest with this, havent heard of it for a while.

I thought there was a legal challenge?

Lidl is still the best shout for good, yet cheap beer. I like their Perlenbacher Pils (£5.99 for 6 x 500ml bottles).

The other day I tried their Grafenwalder Pils - 85p a 500ml can. It was nice, 2.5 units per can.

Am I right to think that, if the SNP get their way, a can of that would rise from 85p to £2.50? (50p a unit).

Quite a hefty - and deeply unfair - rise, eh?

I hope they dont get away with this, or they will be emboldened to being in their smiling tax and the enjoing yourself levy.

Interesting point, bluto.

We keep the proles both liquored and drugged up, causing mass addiction. Although they are lesser people than us in every way, there is a chance that there might be a diamond in the rough that could be not only comparable, but actually better than us norms. However, thanks to their lack of education and already developed addictions, us norms are safe in our employment and enjoyable lives and this 1 in 1000 prole has no chance of unseating us.

It's a bloody good system, and one that'll not be changing on my watch.

Dont believe in this at all,

Its not going to solve the problem,

What will solve the problem is to stop the people that cant behave after a few drams from drinking.

Correct. Binge drinking and alcohol abuse is every bit as bad out here as in the UK. The average pint is around $10, while a six-pack from the off-licence will set you back around $18. There are basically no drink specials and you can't order a double in 99% of licensed premises.

It doesn't put people off whatsoever, from what I've seen.

Slippery slope letting government interfere with the free market, not their job at all imo. They already highly tax it.

Nanny state crap, they are not in power to rule over us.

Why would they do it in the name of health anyway, the pension age limit is getting ever higher as we can't afford to keep them all.

Minimum pricing won't affect the likes of us bluto, we both have very impressive cv's and can earn enough so it doesn't register on our care factor what the price is. :cool::beer:

The people it will affect are the kids of weegie wasters, do the government really think these people will cut back?? they'll just spend the extra money that would have fed and clothed the kids.

The SNP are big on this issue, I just don't understand why, we're a nation of drinkers, we should embrace that. Our whiskey is World renowned and our government want to stop the poor man buying it, makes no sense.

One of the many reasons I've decided to vote No in the referendum, can't be doing with nanny state politics.

Minimum pricing won't affect the likes of us bluto, we both have very impressive cv's and can earn enough so it doesn't register on our care factor what the price is. :cool::beer:

The people it will affect are the kids of weegie wasters, do the government really think these people will cut back?? they'll just spend the extra money that would have fed and clothed the kids.

Didn't you say you're an office junior in another thread?

Didn't you say you're an office junior in another thread?

:laughing:

Show me your cv!!

I'm 45 years old and worked in the oil industry 25 years, I'm so high I wouldn't even say hello to an office junior n the corridor, I'd actually look down my nose they dared to be in the corridor while I was gliding through.

PS Don't bite every time someone says something about that hellhole of a place you live in. :cool:

It's coming in England & Wales first.

It's also worth noting that 2.5x 50p isn't £2.50.

You should maybe drink less, it's having an effect on your ability to think (or lack thereof).

A minimum price on alcohol would do you the world of good.

Er.....ah, yes....well done Dave, picking up on that.......er...deliberate mistake there, glad to see you are awake and all.

So £1.25 then - its still approx 147% of the current price (I hope! lol)

I am afraid that my having over-estimated the price increase / made a c*nt of myself is scant consolation here.

Dont believe in this at all,

Its not going to solve the problem,

aye, its like trying to improve road safety by making cars even more expensive.

And where will the extra cash go I wonder? (as if we have to guess)

I had a look on the Scottish Gov page and it is at great pains to stress "this is not a tax" - mmmmm.

I'm for the unregulated manufacture and distribution of all narcotics.

A weed garden in your greenhouse, a whisky still in your garage, and a meth lab in your basement.

Who the fuck are the government to say what I can or can't grow and consume on my own property... interfering cunts.

It's not a tax.

The extra money (if there was any) would go to the retailer.

Any anyway, why are you trying to blame the SNP for this? It's your beloved friends down in Westminster who are implementing this, not up here in Scotland.... yet

But as you said earlier, you're making a cunt of yourself.

• Upvote 2

Minimum Pricing will only ever effect your if you're buying a 2-litre bottle of thunderbird Cider for about £3.

Anything that gets rid of pish like that is alright with me.

If you're not drinking something of quality, then you shouldn't be drinking at all.

This exactly. Won't effect any normal person. For that reason I have no idea why they keep banging on about it.

Rather than raise the price, raise the legal drinking age to 25. Youngsters who cause most of the trouble when drunk and who binge drink, wouldn't be able to. It would leave the older more mature sensible drinkers to carry on enjoying a drink at a reasonable price.