The Open

Colin Montgomerie teed off and still at level par. An interesting Open this year with the course not particularly suited to the longer hitting players. If I was a gent who liked to punt a penny or two (which I am not) my money would be on an American, purely because of their history at this fine course.

I agree the Open should be on terrestrial however Sky's coverage so far has put BBC's to shame. Shot tracking is excellent and some of the slow mo's watching swings with the captured falling rain drops have been stunning. Compare this to Peter Allis telling a funny quip about Colonel Smithers in a Suffolk clubhouse and its no competition.

Just a couple of minor points. Sky have actually overdone the preparation in my opinion albeit there is thankfully no compunction to watch all of it. They've been virtually 24-7 since Monday and you can see fatigue setting in. Secondly their wee zipline camera train at the postage stamp ruins what is a stunning natural hole in its own right.

Stenson would be a decent winner in my book.

Don't know if anyone's been watching the Beeb highlights but if you have then you can't help but notice the number of different commentators they are using. I can understand that when you have all day coverage but when it's simply a highlights show there's really no need for it. Agree with above comments on Peter Aliss. Time up for him.

Who are Sky using?

Stat from bbc. Mickelson's 65 to give him -17 would have won him 140 of the previous 144 majors. When you factor in the modern game overpowering St Andrews and consider the conditions this week at Troon that is simply magnificent. And he came 2nd!

Wow.

That is a crazy stat like :o I don't ,I don't Mickelson but agree with Roberto glad Stenson won

Stat from bbc. Mickelson's 65 to give him -17 would have won him 140 of the previous 144 majors. When you factor in the modern game overpowering St Andrews and consider the conditions this week at Troon that is simply magnificent. And he came 2nd!

Wow.

Was it not 144 Opens? Probably not far off all majors though.

Day got -20 at USPGA last year, I mind Tiger with an 18 under at Medinah as well.

• 1 year later...

Bit of a cheat to start at this point but who ye fancy for this years Open?

Spieth is obvious as a very possible and of the others Cupcake is still playing very solid and a big threat. I'd like to see Matsuyama win it though. Cracking player and a birdie machine when he is on form,

Bit of a cheat to start at this point but who ye fancy for this years Open?

Spieth is obvious as a very possible and of the others Cupcake is still playing very solid and a big threat. I'd like to see Matsuyama win it though. Cracking player and a birdie machine when he is on form,

Posted my bets on the today's bet thread and still hold out a wee bit of hope for Cabrera Bello, Z Johnson or Pieters coming in for e/w picks.

I'm inclined to think though that Speith might get the job done from here now that he is in the lead already. Don't think the weather has to be as bad over the weekend though so somebody might shoot a couple of low rounds and pass him.

Posted my bets on the today's bet thread and still hold out a wee bit of hope for Cabrera Bello, Z Johnson or Pieters coming in for e/w picks.

I'm inclined to think though that Speith might get the job done from here now that he is in the lead already. Don't think the weather has to be as bad over the weekend though so somebody might shoot a couple of low rounds and pass him.

My only dabble was £5 on Carbrera Bello at 20/1 to make the top 5 on betfair.

• 11 months later...

Due to the conditions of the course it's going to be very difficult, place is burned out and some of the guys that have been around already have been finding the wee burns which usually wouldn't happen, got a few in mind, probably take advantage of the 8 places on offer at Bet365.

Due to the conditions of the course it's going to be very difficult, place is burned out and some of the guys that have been around already have been finding the wee burns which usually wouldn't happen, got a few in mind, probably take advantage of the 8 places on offer at Bet365.

The same 8 places you said was a con for the Masters due to the tied score stuff?

Good luck with your bets anyway. ?

The same 8 places you said was a con for the Masters due to the tied score stuff?

Good luck with your bets anyway.

I never said it was a con, all I said was that with golf betting the dead heat rules are a killer even if you have enhanced places, dead heats are a killer, took £1090 off a world cup bet of mines that won but hey ho.

Absolute bollocks. If the conditions stay as they have been these players will destroy the course. Rock hard fairways giving them extra distance off the tee and watered greens making their shorter than normal approach even easier. Coming down a club or two to avoid going too long into a burn they wouldn't usually be able to reach anyway has no effect.

Absolute bollocks. If the conditions stay as they have been these players will destroy the course. Rock hard fairways giving them extra distance off the tee and watered greens making their shorter than normal approach even easier. Coming down a club or two to avoid going too long into a burn they wouldn't usually be able to reach anyway has no effect.

Players have been going in the burns on their practice rounds, they have little to no control over the ball due to how firm it is.