Scottish Premiership Season 2016/17 - 85 Point Target

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Assume this is pretty much gassed now... though out of curiosity I was wondering how our current points total at this stage compared to previous seasons under McInnes.

After 21 games:

2013/14 - 41 pts

2014/15 - 46 pts

2015/16 - 43 pts

2016/17 - 37 pts

So falling a wee bit short, though perhaps not as much as we may have thought.

Should be room to perhaps match (or improve???) on last season's final total (71), given that we lost 6 out of our last 8 games then.

Bit of a leeway there, though this is based on us not having our annual end of season arse collapse. :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

We have 13 league games left before the split. I reckon that if the hun continue to score points at the same rate they will have 61 or 62 by the split. Therefore, we need to win at least 9 of these 13 games to reach the split ahead of them. This is certainly achieveable. We have 9 games against diddy clubs which we really should be winning. The other 4 are Celtic away, Hearts home, Hun home and St Johnstone away. If we reach the split ahead of the hun I'm confident we'll play better than usual post split given that we will have something to play for this time.

• 2 months later...

85 points probably a bit of an ask now but worth noting that if we win on Sunday we are in line with the run rate for an 80 point which has been enough to win the league on previous occasions

Providing we dont tail off per previous seasons this is looking like a damn good league season for the Dons

• 2 weeks later...

85 points disappeared as a possibility after losing to Sevco but 80 points is still a potential target

4 wins and a draw form the last 5 games- it would represent our best ever post split performance but it is achievable given some of the runs of results we've had over the last few years

Would say we are probably looking at a 75 point finish or thereabouts, doubt we will go unbeaten to the end of the season but would love to be proved wrong.

A lot could depend on the Hibs result. If we lose that then beat Saints the players could easily down tools. Even if that happens Sevco wont catch us. :happy:

Our season is still very much alive though, we have the SC semi and potentially final to look forward to as well as games against Celtic, Hearts and Minker FC where we will surely end that hoodoo... :angry11:

Mid 70s would be a good effort, 85 was a ridiculous target, we were never going to get that. Most likely once we secure 2nd we will go into our customary dive in form. A 2nd place finish and Scottish Cup Final, win or lose (assuming a tim win in the other semi) would represent just about as much as we could ask for from the team.

Mr Rock, ultimately barring a collapse from Celtic they will win the treble and deservedly so. The LC final was disappointing but only an absolutely herculean effort and a fair bit of luck would have won us that game which will again be the case if we play them in the SC final.

McInnes is getting more or less the maximum from what he has available imo both domestically and in Europe. To kick on a bit further would need investment in players better than what we have but being realistic we dont have the money for that. I'm happy for things to keep ticking along.

• Downvote 1

I don't know if finishing second in 3 competitions is a great consistent result and as good as can be hoped considering the resources of the team that will (probably) come first in those 3 competitions or if it's really depressing.

I remember thinking the same thing when Willie Miller did it as manager and then it took years for everyone to realise how well we'd actually done.....still feels shitty coming second though