Becoming A Dad

weemackie

We've got twins due in four weeks, what a sh1tter, but exciting as well.

Dont have any advice on being a Dad yet, can say you'll be in for a tough few months looking after the other half!!

Quite a few folk have said the bird looks like she could be having twins as she looks quite big for how far along she is, will found out on Wednesday. One will be enough!

Congratulations!

Advice, well, be prepared for being totally and utterly knackered, the first couple of weeks I've never experienced tiredness like it! Also, get one of the Bean Bag things, can get them in M&P, not many folk get them, but I thought it was brilliant, rather than the moses basket, you put them on top of the bean bag, and it means you can see what little they are up to much better!

Main thing is to enjoy it, it is all a bit scary and life changing, but having wee ones is also a wonderful time, not so good when they get to 18, but you have plenty of time to find out about that :)

Your life will never be the same again.

The first couple weeks are the toughest as you have no idea if you will get to sleep each night. After that it is generally good, first steps, first words etc. In between they will shit themselves and puke all over you, but you soon won't give it a second thought.

Once they get older and can go about on their own, it gets trickier. If you want to get your freak on with the missus, make sure you invest in a good lock for the bedroom, or try not to lose yourself in the moment, otherwise you will have some explaining to do.

They will fall, fight, bawl and everything in between and each new situation will be as tricky as the last. My eldest is almost 6, and in the past week she has been down a&e with an irregular heartbeat (infection), and then banged her head yesterday, with blood all over her hair. No one trains you for these things.

But overall it is good!

Quite a few folk have said the bird looks like she could be having twins as she looks quite big for how far along she is, will found out on Wednesday. One will be enough!

12 week scan on Wedneday then - I had an inkling it was twins, dunno why, my bird wasnt really showing at that stage mind. Maybe you's will get triplets haha.

Encourage your wife to breast feed, minimising your involvement during feeding hence ensuring a 'better' nights sleep.

Leave home for the time they are 2 years old unless you like to argue about everything form what socks to wear in the morning and what pyjamas to wear at night and everything in between. And when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING.

• Upvote 1

We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting our first. It's an overwhelming experience. My mind has been racing ever since, but I am a "normal" person (I had to chuckle, Rocket! lol) and so look forward to it very much.

Not got a due date yet, but it will co-incide with my permanent return to the Granite City. Bonus!

• Upvote 2

12 week scan on Wedneday then - I had an inkling it was twins, dunno why, my bird wasnt really showing at that stage mind. Maybe you's will get triplets haha.

Your missus wasn't showing a bump with twins at 12 weeks? Fuck me, my missus has a proper bump on the go! Maybe everyone is different though, im nae sure i could cope with triplets!

Congrats and good luck abdy else becoming Dads, good to see there is a few of us!

Your missus wasn't showing a bump with twins at 12 weeks? Fuck me, my missus has a proper bump on the go! Maybe everyone is different though, im nae sure i could cope with triplets!

Congrats and good luck abdy else becoming Dads, good to see there is a few of us!

Everyone always tells my missus that her bump is small and ours is due in July. She has a deep pelvis and everything is measuring up perfectly so the bump isn't always a sign of what's to come.

Congratulations.

• Upvote 1

My advice would be...

Only have as many kids as you can afford to have. Too many people shit out sprog after sprog without the finances, time, or plans necessary to create productive members of society.

If you can only afford to dedicate the time and finances towards clothing, feeding, educating and spending time with one kid then leave it at one.

One of the parents of our loon's friends is on her fourth. She can barely afford to look after one, but hey-ho, what do you do when you can't afford to properly look after the kids you already have? Get pregnant again and shite out another.

Anyway. My further advice would be 'Don't be a dick to your kid'. You're the one who chose to have a kid, it wasn't the kid who chose to have you as parents, so remember that the when kid isn't being as fantastic as you'd like.

Get your kid involved in as many activities as possible, especially if it's a loon. Loon's have far more energy to burn than lassies, and you need to keep them occupied and burning energy. They're little warriors who naturally want to fight and get into things. We started our loon in Swimming and fitba before he was 2, Karate and ice skating (he likes ice hockey) at 4, and this winter he starts snow-boarding lessons, and possibly we'll be sending him to learn Chinese or Spanish. We already got him a (150fps) BB gun so he can learn gun handling and safety, and he'll be taught how to hunt and prep animals by the time he's 10 (is the plan) Nothing is worse than seeing a fat little kid playing X-Box when the sun is shining outside, don't let that happen.

They absorb every tiny piece of information, and their youngest years will determine whether you have an mentally and physically strong child who goes out and gets shit done, or a wheezy little fatty who can't piss without someone's help.

So, in summary

* Only have as many as you can easily afford

* Don't be a dick

* Get your kid active and learning.

Congratulations and good luck, min.

• Upvote 3

ivest in a bouncey chair found it was great with my two, could easliy rock them to sleep with your foot once you get into the rythym there is no manual for parenting its trial and error there will be plenty of trials and even more errors, but instill manners im a believer that they go along way even nowadays it dissapoints me to hear how many kids/ youths even adults never use please or thank you.

We had our first baby 6 months ago, wee girl.

My experience so far is, the whole birth thing was the biggest shiter of my entire life, just a constant period of worry and pooping it. When she did arrive it was honestly an amazing feeling can't describe it.

I've found the most tiring period to have been the last month or so, our wee one is teething and has been quite unsettled at nights, the first few weeks and months the sleep issue wasn't a problem for me but they all differ, looking back now though it does seems as though the first month or so was just a head up arse time.

Hospital staff were all absolutely incredible, hospital seats are all absolutely fucking uncomfortable, hospital toast is fine as fuck, hospital radiators are all set at fucking roasting all the bastard time and lastly the car parking or lack of is a joke.

Just my take on being a dad, good luck it's incredible.

• Upvote 1

I'm due to become a Dad in November Quite excited now after the initial fear snd terror! Any advice current Dads can give me?

As above when your baby arrives it will be the best moment of your life, no words can describe the feeling, it didn't really hit me till I went out for a smoke, it was around 6 in the morning and the sun was already beating down, have never had a better feeling (well maybe a snowball in the hoochi came close one night, ;)).

Bit scary when you get in the front door and have this little thing to look after but a great experience. Enjoy while they're young, before too long they'll start answering back and know more swear words than you.

Congratulations min! :) you don't need advice, it will all come naturally.

We had our litte one at home. Wasn't planned that way, but turned out great. A really strange feeling when i had her in my arms for the first hour of her life (the wife had some midwife with a miners lamp on between her legs, "tidying things up" - nae joke). Almost immediately, the wee thing I had known for an hour I would already do absolutely anything for - that feeling has just got stronger and stronger in the last 14 months.

Things worked out so well with the home birth thing, we're doing it again this time round. We're nae hippies or that, just seems easier and calmer.

Write a note to yourself saying " Don't get pished of an evening and then expect the next morning to look after any child who cannot get themselves up, dress themselves, feed themselves and then occupy themselves for the period of time it takes their mother to get home from work and take over responsibility"

A stinking hangover whilst looking after small people is not clever believe you me let alone the moralistic rant said mother will have to compound it

Oh and toilet train them asap....

My daughter is also 6 months, it really has been a superb experience so far.

The first 3/4 weeks are the hardest, since then I've found it to be relatively smooth sailing. Helps that she has slept 7pm - 7am every night since about the fifth week.

Watching your wife go through labour is a bizarre, but wonderful experience. When my wee one eventually appeared I really did just feel instant love towards her, unbelieavable emotion.

Get into the Birthing Pool if you can, my mrs said this helped with the labour pains in a big way.

Between now and then, just enjoy the peace and quiet while you can.

All the best to the upcoming new Dads!

• Upvote 2