Defence Of Catholic Teaching

Clydeside_Sheep

One of the shittiest, most backwards societies in Western Europe just got dragged into the early 20th Century.

That's not really a win for anyone, to be honest.

That's outrageously racist! (I must be turning into parky)

I visited rep ireland a few times, (in the noughties), and it certainly wasnt shitty or backward.

Btw - early 20th centuiry is a bit early. Abortion wasnt imposed here until the 60s. The post ww2 nuremberg trials established abortion as a crime against humanity.

I like how its a victory for the power of the media just because its a view you disagree with.

Its a victory for the media because they duped so many people, not to mention how imbalanced they were. For example, many people were voting thinking the law was ultimately what caused the death of Savita Hallapanvar. But that is a lie.

It is no doubt a comforting lie for many yes voters, that they "did it for savita".

The government has announced it is digitising murals and tributes to her, which popped up during the campaign. Thus future generations (those who are not aborted) can also partake of the lie, when reassuring themselves how civilised and compassionate they are.

Maybe youre just one of a shrinking band of total fucking lunatics. Obviously youre going to fail to see this as you will be convinced your view is the correct one.

On this topic, the pro-life view (its not "mine" I don't own it) is the correct one. Of that there is absolutely no doubt.

On any angle, scientific, logica or moral, pro-life is the correct view.

To be fair, there was many dymanics doing on, over and above abortion. Such as :

1) repudiation of the church by some, (if the church said "dont jump off a cliff" they would jump off a cliff), people you cant reason with

2) the desire of the irish (seemingly a uniquely gullible nation of people) to be see as modern and "right on" and comply with the demands of their EU masters

3) manipulation such as the savita info and the conditioning of the irish to vote for things which were imposed on other nations

Like their gay marriage referendum, they were not breaking new ground, or choosing something for themselves - rather, they were being put on the spot and asked to say "us too". A vote for glib conformity.

In any case, regardless of your view, it is absolutely remarkable (and very sad) that people have chosen to vote down human rights (to life) and this is then wildly celebrated as a good thing.

As a kid, I used to wonder how the 'decent people' could stand by, while the nazis treated the jews progressivley worse, before simply starting to kill them. This vote is undoubtedly a similar moment in history. No doubt some of the same factors were at play in 30s germany as in modern ireland.

Nietzche spoke of the inversion of values and, while I think he saw such inversion in the wrong places (ironically he thought christianity as hostile to life) he must have been onto something here when we see selfishness triumph over selflessness, death over life etc.

While I said above I was (and am) surprised by the margin, to get even 1/3 of the vote has been a achievement given the pro-life size had the entire political establishment, the entire media and many international voices arrayed against them.

As a kid, I used to wonder how the 'decent people' could stand by, while the nazis treated the jews progressivley worse, before simply starting to kill them. This vote is undoubtedly a similar moment in history. No doubt some of the same factors were at play in 30s germany as in modern ireland.

It's good that you're not overreacting

• Upvote 3

Not getting why that would be a "sad referendum result for Ireland". Most people there seem quite happy with it.

Also not really in seeing why a particular religious beliefs needs to enshrined in law at all.

If Catholics don't want to have abortions then don't. Everyone else will have the chance to make the choice thats right for them and their conscience.

Long past time for modern countries to have laws based on what works for society and sensible freedoms not just based on religious teachings.

Its a victory for the media because they duped so many people, not to mention how imbalanced they were. For example, many people were voting thinking the law was ultimately what caused the death of Savita Hallapanvar. But that is a lie.

It is no doubt a comforting lie for many yes voters, that they "did it for savita".

The government has announced it is digitising murals and tributes to her, which popped up during the campaign. Thus future generations (those who are not aborted) can also partake of the lie, when reassuring themselves how civilised and compassionate they are.

On this topic, the pro-life view (its not "mine" I don't own it) is the correct one. Of that there is absolutely no doubt.

On any angle, scientific, logica or moral, pro-life is the correct view.

To be fair, there was many dymanics doing on, over and above abortion. Such as :

1) repudiation of the church by some, (if the church said "dont jump off a cliff" they would jump off a cliff), people you cant reason with

2) the desire of the irish (seemingly a uniquely gullible nation of people) to be see as modern and "right on" and comply with the demands of their EU masters

3) manipulation such as the savita info and the conditioning of the irish to vote for things which were imposed on other nations

Like their gay marriage referendum, they were not breaking new ground, or choosing something for themselves - rather, they were being put on the spot and asked to say "us too". A vote for glib conformity.

In any case, regardless of your view, it is absolutely remarkable (and very sad) that people have chosen to vote down human rights (to life) and this is then wildly celebrated as a good thing.

Nietzche spoke of the inversion of values and, while I think he saw such inversion in the wrong places (ironically he thought christianity as hostile to life) he must have been onto something here when we see selfishness triumph over selflessness, death over life etc.

While I said above I was (and am) surprised by the margin, to get even 1/3 of the vote has been a achievement given the pro-life size had the entire political establishment, the entire media and many international voices arrayed against them.

There are no absolutes. So you are wrong. (Absolutely 100% wrong)

Ireland being about the 60th country to allow abortion by request is undoubtedly the same...

That's outrageously racist! (I must be turning into parky)

I visited rep ireland a few times, (in the noughties), and it certainly wasnt shitty or backward.

Btw - early 20th centuiry is a bit early. Abortion wasnt imposed here until the 60s. The post ww2 nuremberg trials established abortion as a crime against humanity.

Citation VERY much required here.

Maybe youre just one of a shrinking band of total fucking lunatics. Obviously youre going to fail to see this as you will be convinced your view is the correct one.

This is just the nail on the head... as you say, thankfully this vote tells us that society is progressing and, at this rate, nutters like Clydesdale will soon be condemned to history.

Come on. You must be fishing.

I've long been of the opinion that manboobs109 is the biggest fisherman on this forum. If you read through his previous contributions you'll see what I'm talking about. He's not a Dons fan... I think he just comes on here to get a kick out of winding folk up! Probably a bit bored at work...

Having said that, the nature of some of the celebrations regarding this vote didn't sit 100% well with me either... I can see both sides here.

No one is celebrating abortion. Theyre celebrating the repeal of laws denying the right to abortion, which Id say is completely reasonable. Its a historic decision.

A historic decision that means a lot of abortions will take place. Not looking for an argument or fishing, just think it was in poor taste.