Minimum alcohol pricing - latest?

Rather than raise the price, raise the legal drinking age to 25. Youngsters who cause most of the trouble when drunk and who binge drink, wouldn't be able to. It would leave the older more mature sensible drinkers to carry on enjoying a drink at a reasonable price.

Yes because people under 18 never drink alcohol do they?

Slippery slope letting government interfere with the free market, not their job at all imo. They already highly tax it.

Nanny state crap, they are not in power to rule over us.

Why would they do it in the name of health anyway, the pension age limit is getting ever higher as we can't afford to keep them all.

Feel free to voluntarily depart

I would like responsible drinking to be returned the publican when we vote for independence.

Let's tax supermarket booze and use the money to give publicans tax breaks. Paying £3.50 a bottle in a pub and 50p from a supermarket kills the trade.

Responsible drinking happens when the landlord says "enough is enough".

Breaking the punch/ Belhaven type leasehold duopoly would also help the industry.

If I owned a bar I would want excellent punters like Rumpus to visit regularly. Excellent person.

How about a radical approach. We don't have a legal drinking age.

Most teenagers are constantly told they aren't old enough to drink so to prove they are they drink too much.

How about we just teach people to drink responsibly from an early age and that consuming too much just isn't necessary. Treat them as adults and perhaps they will behave like adults.

Education is the key.

Radical I know but you never know.

• Upvote 3

I thought as part of Europe you could not fix prices

free market and all that

what about imported beers

if it places foreign products at a disadvantage (the french are unhappy because their whiskey is cheaper than Scottish whiskey because its not distilled as long) then the EU might get involved. However the UK would likely say it's proportionate to the aim of protecting public health/morality so don't think the EU will get involved.

I don't understand why the money isn't a tax, if it's costing the government so much money recoup it at source. Producers and Retailers don't deserve larger profits for fermenting piss into white cider.

The extra money (if there was any) would go to the retailer.

Thats a fair point, its unlikely that the law itself would push up the price of more expensive drinks eg a bottle of furstenberg.

But I think retailers would be tempted adjust those prices upward of their own accord, hoping folk would either not notice or blame the govt.

Some of my friends live in the Eurozone and they said retailes were quick to 'round up' prices etc when changing to the new currency - they are not to be trusted!

Any anyway, why are you trying to blame the SNP for this?

Mainly because its their policy - you know, minor details like that.

But as you said earlier, you're making a cunt of yourself.

I said made, not making! You need to brush up on your tenses, like I do my sums ;):laughing:

How about a radical approach. We don't have a legal drinking age.

Most teenagers are constantly told they aren't old enough to drink so to prove they are they drink too much.

How about we just teach people to drink responsibly from an early age and that consuming too much just isn't necessary. Treat them as adults and perhaps they will behave like adults.

Education is the key.

Radical I know but you never know.

Scottish culture quite simply would not allow this to happen

Alcohol is a pretty shit drug to be honest.

Education is the key.

Excellent posts from Fat Jim!

You are dead right that its a behavioural issue, not a price issue.

A Heroin habit is expensive (I believe) but that doest put users off - they just go out and steal to get the money.

Price rises are (imo) the sign of an idea-less administration.

And you are right that alcohol is a pretty shit drug:

I had my first drink after lent on Sunday afternoon there - off it for some 7 weeks. Spent the afternoon / early evening in the pubs of Glasgow. I enjoyed it, but next morning felt dehydrated and was thinking "why do we do this?".

Right enough, I am eagerly anticipating the booze this weekend will bring :laughing:

How do you police it?

The 'beer card' would represent individuals being licensed to buy alcohol, just like pubs etc are licensed to sell it. Individuals could lose their license - for fighting or whatever - just like pubs can.

Police it via having to swipe the card prior to every alcohol purchase, in a supermarket or pub.

No card, no booze.

This is all too much like thinking for politicians though.

The 'beer card' would represent individuals being licensed to buy alcohol, just like pubs etc are licensed to sell it. Individuals could lose their license - for fighting or whatever - just like pubs can.

Police it via having to swipe the card prior to every alcohol purchase, in a supermarket or pub.

No card, no booze.

This is all too much like thinking for politicians though.

So what is to stop someone buying alcohol for other people?

When you find someone without a card shit faced you can't remove a non existent card.

Totally unworkable and would be an inconvenience for sensible drinkers as well.

I am not against minimum pricing as I stated I don't think it would have any effect on me because I don't drink enough to worry about it.

I don't think it will make much of a difference to those with alcohol problems either as they probably don't factor in the price once they have had a few.

Scottish culture quite simply would not allow this to happen

I disagree with that, I've seen a big difference in the attitude towards smoking over the last 10 years so there's no reason it can't be done with drinking.

fatjim is correct, education is the key.

as for minimum pricing well its already been said, it should only really affect you if you are buying bombs of cider or something similar. I believe this is is just the start of making people feel bad about drinking to change the attitude towards it, just like the government have done with smoking.

The industry also needs more regulation.

Eg why are shitey xchildish Cidrs for sale in the first place? And also fuckin pops.

Ulk has a greagreat tradition and culture for beers, cider and spirits. More than enough quality products to fill the supermarket shelves.

I was walking into an off licence the other week and a kid - couldn't have been more than 14 asked me to buy him some alcohol. Thing was, he didn't even specify what it was he wanted. He just said, "Excuse me Mr, will you buy me some alcohol?" Didn't know if he wanted beer, cider, wine, vodka ...... I told him to wise-up and just to try himself - he wouldn't have got served. Anyway, afterwards back in my car I was kicking myself for not taking his money and getting him some Listerine fae the shoppy next door!

Imagine my surprise when I got into the car the next day and noticed a dildo super-glued to my bonnet.

• Upvote 1

So what is to stop someone buying alcohol for other people?

When you find someone without a card shit faced you can't remove a non existent card.

Totally unworkable and would be an inconvenience for sensible drinkers as well.

I am not against minimum pricing as I stated I don't think it would have any effect on me because I don't drink enough to worry about it.

I don't think it will make much of a difference to those with alcohol problems either as they probably don't factor in the price once they have had a few.

They are offered the opertunity to dob in whoever got them the booze - then their card is removed or a hefty fine and 1000 hours community service :)

:laughing:

Show me your cv!!

I'm 45 years old and worked in the oil industry 25 years, I'm so high I wouldn't even say hello to an office junior n the corridor, I'd actually look down my nose they dared to be in the corridor while I was gliding through.

PS Don't bite every time someone says something about that hellhole of a place you live in. :cool:

Didn't you say you're a friend of the common man - you'd rather chat to the man with the broom than the top brass.

Getting caught in your own web of lies there old man.

GD,

I know many people who are way smarter and wealthier than me, not one of them I'd class better than me, I tend to treat people as equals, I actually get a way better laugh from the cleaner than any boss so if I were to class someone as a better person it would be those who make me laugh and those I get on with well.