The Pelican Club (Best And Worst Experiences)

KidCreole

Seen it mentioned a couple of times now so i thought I would ask you guys to recall some of the best and worst moments you can recall.

For me walking in as a fresh faced 21 year old and hearing Jeff Mills fucking destroying it live was a real moment, Worst moment was watching the bouncer (that guy with long hair around 2001) knocking some fat boys teeth out and not stopping with the punches.

Pelican was still on the go in the 2000's for sure as it was then I had my best experience. Plenty Dave Clarke crackers but this was an inoccent Friday at that Kia Aura or whatever it was called. A lassie Sarah with massive tits, peirced lip and lovely ass was in. I charmed her with an offer of a line of cocaine.... She mentioned a toilet outside on the way up to metro was safest....railed a few lines, she asked if I wanted a massage.... Of course, top off, massage administered, then she took my cock out and gave me an outstanding blowjob while I juggled her massive tits while high on Charles Manson.

I used to date the bird Jo who took money at the wee window, Kiora was aye a bit housy for me but lots of nice people.

Never got a gam in the bogs though

Got absolutely gubbed after a work golf outing in '98 and ended up in the Pelican. Pulled a hot Indian girl and she was driving, I blacked out in her car and her and her mate got me out to spew and then couldn't move me cos I was too heavy. The cops came along and took me to Dee Street where I woke up the next morning with no clue about what had happened. The only way I found out was when I bumped into her in the Bon Accord Centre a week or two later.........oops

One of my best was also my first, John Pleased Wimmin. Was a hoochi visitor before that gig. Think that was around 92-93

Best visual memory, Dave Clarke. Standing on the big box/stage at the bar side of the dancefloor on the left hand corner. Seeing nothing but heads bobbing out of the smoke, Dave Clarke ripping the shit out of it and this huge, sweaty, bearded geezer just punching the air next to him.

Chatting shit in a pilled up pile up on the stairs was always fun.

Playing there was always special even though I didnt get to until the cage went up. It wasnt easy mixing records on a table that swung from the roof.

Worst was when they tried to resurrect it. Should've just left it as a memory. That and Paz's imaginary bookings. Turned up to many a night to see Surgeon, Clarke, Weatherall etc only for it to be Titch trying to do his best impression.

Was at the the caves in Edinburgh for Clarke last weekend. Good but nowhere near that type of good.

Legendary club, I basically lived there in the 90s.

First memories are as a young teenager circa 1990, still at school, I used to sneak in the side door from the Adelphi; back in the days before the dance floor was built, when they used to have BBQs and bouncy castles on the go and we smoked joints outside. A few times the boy Mark (or 'Joint Patrol' as we called him) caught us and threw us oot, the boy was a fud. :stormtrooper:

So many memories, where to start. Big Shoanna the bar maid, Red Stripe, those manky black walls :ThumbsDown:, sitting on the concrete steps to the bog having deep fucked up MDMA conversations, Paz Pooba the 'DJ' of Custard Clothing fame (he once just picked up the needle and put it back to the start of the record as he was so pissed on gin, the boy got a gig at T in the park and worked for Pixar FFS :blink: ), the famous after parties at Jopps Lane, Ritchie Hawtin and the Bridewell Taxis, inviting the whole club back to our flat (we lived next door :clangers2: ), the sign above the entrance 'no moustaches / brown leather jackets / dungarees etc.', getting searched by yer mate the bouncer ;), Tich, no bog door in the gents, banter with the Hotel Metro pissed up crew at closing time :laughing:

Best memory was a random night when Born Slippy came on, whole place was bouncing (probably just very good Eccies) or Christmas Eve 1994, the drums just kept going...

Worst memory was going back in the 2000s and seeing what it had become, Paz wasn't involved anymore and the place just didn't have the same vibe, maybe it was just a sign of the times? IMO the best club scene Aberdeen ever had was in the early to mid 90s, dance clubs like the Pelly, Fever and Joy were the originals, with the Hoochy and Drum coming later. I don't think Aberdeen ever had it so good, but then maybe I'm just biased. :dancin:

• Upvote 1

First memories are as a young teenager circa 1990, still at school, I used to sneak in the side door from the Adelphi; back in the days before the dance floor was built, when they used to have BBQs and bouncy castles on the go and we smoked joints outside. A few times the boy Mark (or 'Joint Patrol' as we called him) caught us and threw us oot, the boy was a fud. :stormtrooper:

So many memories, where to start. Big Shoanna the bar maid, Red Stripe, those manky black walls :ThumbsDown:, sitting on the concrete steps to the bog having deep fucked up MDMA conversations, Paz Pooba the 'DJ' of Custard Clothing fame (he once just picked up the needle and put it back to the start of the record as he was so pissed on gin, the boy got a gig at T in the park and worked for Pixar FFS :blink: ), the famous after parties at Jopps Lane, Ritchie Hawtin and the Bridewell Taxis, inviting the whole club back to our flat (we lived next door :clangers2: ), the sign above the entrance 'no moustaches / brown leather jackets / dungarees etc.', getting searched by yer mate the bouncer ;), Tich, no bog door in the gents, banter with the Hotel Metro pissed up crew at closing time :laughing:

Best memory was a random night when Born Slippy came on, whole place was bouncing (probably just very good Eccies) or Christmas Eve 1994, the drums just kept going...

Worst memory was going back in the 2000s and seeing what it had become, Paz wasn't involved anymore and the place just didn't have the same vibe, maybe it was just a sign of the times? IMO the best club scene Aberdeen ever had was in the early to mid 90s, dance clubs like the Pelly, Fever and Joy were the originals, with the Hoochy and Drum coming later. I don't think Aberdeen ever had it so good, but then maybe I'm just biased. :dancin:

Summed it up nicely there chief...

E's are nothing like they used to be

Heroin is the way forward.

I dont think its the e's that have changed. I'm told if you get a good one it feels exactly the same. Biggest difference is the idiots around you. If the vibe aint there the feeling is bound to be different.

Replicating the vibe of a Skank at the Neptune these days would be near impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep The Faith Tut's

I think I remember that Born Slippy moment. Also remember a NYE Bells moment at Fever where Elvis dropped The Farm's All Together Now swiftly followed by KLF What time is Love, seminal moments.

Regarding Paz I have a hazy recollection of an event he organized out at Blairs Collage, string quartet, techno music and did he not make a grand entrance on a white stallion ? 26-28 years ago so I could be just making that up but something like that.

Now Aberdeen's youth go to Soul & Paramount, God help them

Keep The Faith Tut's

I think I remember that Born Slippy moment. Also remember a NYE Bells moment at Fever where Elvis dropped The Farm's All Together Now swiftly followed by KLF What time is Love, seminal moments.

Regarding Paz I have a hazy recollection of an event he organized out at Blairs Collage, string quartet, techno music and did he not make a grand entrance on a white stallion ? 26-28 years ago so I could be just making that up but something like that.

Now Aberdeen's youth go to Soul & Paramount, God help them

I was there, was fucking wrecked, was an amazing night. Was people walking about on stilts dressed as highlander warriors, big fuck off swords the lot, was also folk in masks and stuff, properly set up to freak out the ounters, don't recall the white stallion part but could have happened, was a wild night. Jacqui Morrison played a really great set that finished with Tony di bart, The real thing, was the only thing she played that had vocals, she was amazed years later when I told her that memory would stay with me forever. Not much else I can recall from that night except a big pope picture on the wall, outside toilets and the bar being ran by the Metro people.

Final memory was some girl asking if I was alright at the end of the night, think I'd been dancing on the same spot for ages but had slowed to an eyes shut nodding head by morning, was well out of my tree.

Edit; String quartet was at the start of the night as you went in, often wondered if they knew what they;d been booked for.

I was there, was fucking wrecked, was an amazing night. Was people walking about on stilts dressed as highlander warriors, big fuck off swords the lot, was also folk in masks and stuff, properly set up to freak out the ounters, don't recall the white stallion part but could have happened, was a wild night. Jacqui Morrison played a really great set that finished with Tony di bart, The real thing, was the only thing she played that had vocals, she was amazed years later when I told her that memory would stay with me forever. Not much else I can recall from that night except a big pope picture on the wall, outside toilets and the bar being ran by the Metro people.

Final memory was some girl asking if I was alright at the end of the night, think I'd been dancing on the same spot for ages but had slowed to an eyes shut nodding head by morning, was well out of my tree.

Edit; String quartet was at the start of the night as you went in, often wondered if they knew what they;d been booked for.

That period from about 86 to 91 was exceptionally good in Aberdeen (as it was countrywide) if your thing was good music, disco biscuits and meeting like minded people then you had hit the jackpot.

Jacqui & Billy Davidson tearing up sounds and characters like Paz and a couple who are no longer with us. I'm off to dig out my soundtrack C90's. "Can U Feel It"

I remember Tich the DJ and 'Tintin' the doorman. Knew all the door and bar staff quite well back in the late 80s and early 90s. Always went home with jeans covered in black shit off the floor. The Red Stripe was the original good stuff actually brewed in Jamaica.

Of course the Bang Club used to have nights there before it found a permanent home in Fever (the best dance club in Scotland at the time)

Too many good memories in the Pelican to mention but a particular highlight was taking my first E in 1989. There were about 7 of us all first-timers. What a night.

• 2 years later...