English Premier League

Aye should be good game.

Any other year and it'd be a title decider

Only those of us with long memories can remember when Arsene's Arsenal were genuine title contenders.

The money these players get, it’s no surprise they look and perform at such an exceptional level.

I reckon football has progressed that both these teams could thrash anything the last century had to offer.

And they’re not even the best in England let alone Europe. Some staggering beauty in the beautiful game tonight.

The money these players get, it’s no surprise they look and perform at such an exceptional level.

I reckon football has progressed that both these teams could thrash anything the last century had to offer.

And they’re not even the best in England let alone Europe. Some staggering beauty in the beautiful game tonight.

It really wasn't that good.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

First 20 minutes has been fantastic football. Such excellent footballers, a different planet to the shit we watch in Scotland.

And also some absolute dogshite, to be fair. Twice Morata found himself 1-vs-1 with the 'keeper after nothing more than punts up the pitch. How can folk chug off about a game being brilliant when in reality, most of the "brilliant" bits were just shite defending meaning chances were created?

It really wasn't that good.

And also some absolute dogshite, to be fair. Twice Morata found himself 1-vs-1 with the 'keeper after nothing more than punts up the pitch. How can folk chug off about a game being brilliant when in reality, most of the "brilliant" bits were just shite defending meaning chances were created?

Depends what you are into...

Maybe your enjoyment of football comes from an admiration of watching some of the most technically gifted players in Europe in action... or the, sometimes attritional, battle of chess, between great tacticians like Guardiola or Wenger.

If you don't care about the above, and are just looking to be entertained by an exciting game football, then the EPL is no better than the SPFL in my opinion.

Exactly. The Shat Logan cunt is just the most negative and morose man on planet earth but that was as good a game of football as I've seen for a very long time.

It was so few of mistakes, particularly in the first half, relatively speaking (to almost every game and with less than a tenth of the mistakes we see in EVERY SPFL game) with such fantastic sharp passing and instant control, some superb technicians doing some superb stuff.

Only football aficionados would have appreciated that last night :happy:

Depends what you are into...

Maybe your enjoyment of football comes from an admiration of watching some of the most technically gifted players in Europe in action... or the, sometimes attrition, battle of chess, between great tacticians like Guardiola or Wenger.

If you don't care about the above, and are just looking to be entertained by an exciting game football, then the EPL is no better than the SPFL in my opinion.

Exactly. The Shat Logan cunt is just the most negative and morose man on planet earth but that was as good a game of football as I've seen for a very long time.

It was so few of mistakes, particularly in the first half, relatively speaking (to almost every game and with less than a tenth of the mistakes we see in EVERY SPFL game) with such fantastic sharp passing and instant control, some superb technicians doing some superb stuff.

Only football aficionados would have appreciated that last night :happy:

Absolute nonsense all-round. There was some excellent football on display last night in an attacking sense. However, it is a game that would be loved by the FIFA generation of football fans more than anyone and one that would have "football aficionados" in a rage at the complete inability of extremely proficient managers to set their teams up correctly. It was excitement over top-level quality. A game that the EPL has grew their whole brand on. Bakayoko was all over the shop and couldn't keep his position, Arsenal were undone by hoofs up the pitch (twice!!) and we had numerous players who couldn't beat a goalkeeper from incredible positions.

There was some excellent play but in ignoring the horrendous defensive performances of both teams and inability of players to follow basic tactical instructions, you're only kidding yourself that this was some kind of incredible game. The "so few mistakes" claim makes me wonder if you actually watched the game...

Thrilling and exciting? Definitely. Top class and free of mistakes? Definitely not.

• Upvote 1

Have to agree with Pondlife. First for everything. Kanté and Hazard a cut above, aside from that, not overly impressed.

Ozil was the best player on the pitch IMO. Such an intelligent footballer. The positions he takes up are brilliant, always drifting between defence and midfield in to little pockets of space and causing problems.

The fact he's one of the most berated players in the english media sums up what they want from their football IMO.

Jeez, I can't believe what I'm reading. There's a reason these two are Champions League and what we get to see every week is on a hundredth of the wages.

The quality of the close control, the instant touch and the passing was breathtaking.

They weren't hoofs up the pitch, they were deliberate balls.

The sheer pace of the game was phenomenal, a testament to their supreme athletic ability, something that is free to any "professional" who works hard, unlike almost every AFC footballer. I was enthralled by it. I hate what Sky does in relation to bigging up the EPL and take great delight when the Spanish and Germans beat them, and will take delight when and if PSG win it this year (only the ABE thing, not that they're not buying success too - like we did in the 80's according to some on here) but you have to admit, there are some superb footballers in England, de Bruyne and Sane being my favourites this year.

• Downvote 1

I also watched the Chelsea CL away win in the Hole in the Wall at Waterloo Station in November - against some nothing team, Chelsea scored 4 I think - and Willian was awesome, as was the whole team that night.

This is where I think Conte is a problem. There is a history of managers resenting stars - none more so than SAF with Beckham - but getting rid of Diego Costa in the amateurish manner that he did and not playing Willian as often as he should is hurting them big time this season, not to mention his mt-like ego in thinking he's too good for this London club, only cos he got lucky in year one that Pep hadn't got his shit together and the rest were so poor.

Nope, they were hoofs up the pitch that any well organised defence would've coped with. For the first one the Arsenal player ran the completely wrong direction, while his left centre back played Morata about 4 yards onside. :hysterical:

What about the technical skills on show?

Did you recognise why they get paid hundreds of times more than what we see every week in the flesh?

What about the technical skills on show?

Did you recognise why they get paid hundreds of times more than what we see every week in the flesh?

Yup. Did you even read what i said? For example where i said "There was some excellent football on display last night in an attacking sense"? I then spoke about how good Ozil was/is.

Did you just want me to say everything was wonderful, just because that's what you seem to think?

Yup. Did you even read what i said? For example where i said "There was some excellent football on display last night in an attacking sense"? I then spoke about how good Ozil was/is.

Did you just want me to say everything was wonderful, just because that's what you seem to think?

Forget it mate. Waste of time.

How so? As you didn't actually read what i'd typed or because you're not interested in an alternative viewpoint?

The best team in Europe IMO.

No, your attitude more than anything.

It's fine that you didn't enjoy the game as I did. It's fine that where I saw much to admire, you saw tons of amateurish mistakes. We didn't agree. that's cool.

Agree that Man C are awesome to watch but two things I'll be interested to see: -

1. How will they react to Palace of all people ending their winning streak? I remember they won their first 6 last year and then it all went pear-shaped.

2. Never been good in Europe. Couldn't even beat Celtic ffs. Have they got the mental belief that they can convert this great team into winners?

What do folk think of Man City?

An awful lot of praise coming their way these days

In the last 40 years...

AC Milan when the 3 x Dutch were inspired (early 80's)

Barcelona a few years back

Man City the next POTENTIAL super team but a LONG way to go before they achieve superstar status.

No, your attitude more than anything.

It's fine that you didn't enjoy the game as I did. It's fine that where I saw much to admire, you saw tons of amateurish mistakes. We didn't agree. that's cool.

Agree that Man C are awesome to watch but two things I'll be interested to see: -

1. How will they react to Palace of all people ending their winning streak? I remember they won their first 6 last year and then it all went pear-shaped.

2. Never been good in Europe. Couldn't even beat Celtic ffs. Have they got the mental belief that they can convert this great team into winners?

I did enjoy the game. Much of the play was excellent (as i've said in previous posts). I'm just not subscribing to the view that the entertainment was all due to wonderful play. Much of the excitement was generated due to inept defending. I just felt the praise being given, both on here and on TV after the game, was far too effusive and never referenced the poorer aspects of each teams play.

Although i appreciate i'm one of the few folk who likes to watch good defending, it'd still be nice for the ineptness of some of it to be mentioned!

It was every pass, the sharpness of the players as a whole, the touch, the control, the inventiveness, I just loved it.

There were some sublime heels back during the game, none more so than the one Fabregas made an arse of. I actually saw more attacking fuck ups than defensive frailties last night. Some glaring chances missed, particularly by Chelsea. I also loved Courtois's save onto both posts. It was just so good to watch compared to most games I take in on the telly and the shite I watch at Pittodrie twice a month.

Disagree. He's an excellent centre forward.

Too many people judging a player on one poor game.

I don't agree that anyone on here is being so stupid to judge a player on one game.

Not that I've seen too much of him but he's not convincing for me either. I was a HUGE fan of Diego Costa. I don't like Lukaku. I love Silva and Aguero.