New Car Chat

fine-n-dandy

Land Rover Discovery.

It's fucking ace, has 7 seats (proper seats) and is like Dr who's Tardis when it comes to luggage space.

The best 4x4 by a country mile although it's big Range Rover brother runs a close second.

Ahem....

you mean the Defender surely

I had a disco 2 had to put 2 new engines in it. That was down to a certain garage in Aberdeen not figuring out that the injectors were damaged. Second engine was free :)

Thinking about getting the new version though as I hear that the disco 3 is a bit of a shambles reliability wise.

Ahem....

you mean the Defender surely

I had a disco 2 had to put 2 new engines in it. That was down to a certain garage in Aberdeen not figuring out that the injectors were damaged. Second engine was free :)

Thinking about getting the new version though as I hear that the disco 3 is a bit of a shambles reliability wise.

Nah. Little niggles every now and again. The main issue is with the EGR valves which can fail due to the exhaust gases being recycled through the engine again.

Two fixes. If it's a 57 plate or earlier then blank them off.

If it's a 58 or 59 plate then a tiny bit of two stroke oil in with every full tank of diesel and it'll be plain sailing. I don't bother with that but it apparently makes a hoorin difference to the cleanliness of the engine.

Never had any problems in the year I've had it. The Defender is the ultimate with regards to a car being indestructible but the Discovery has the comfort and also just keeps going as long as it's looked after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

in process of buying another car, to give the capri a wee rest over the winter, which was always the plan anyway...too much salt on the roads!

so, went back to the first car i ever loved...an mg zt

i know folk are gonna go, "mgs...crap"

but unless youve driven one you cant possibly say that

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271120400852&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

HOW much car is that for under a grand!!

mental

had the diesel 135 before, so this jump up to the 190 should be nice!

I just read some reviews on this motor, and people seem to think it's a great deal for under a grand.

I'm a bit boozy, admittedly, but I'm remembering the scene in Whoops Apocalypse where the Russian Premier is asking the American Ambassador why he shouldn't keep a dead dog in his fridge.

"Why should I not keep dead dog in fridge if I want dead dog in fridge?" he says.

I ken but GTR has almost unbeatable performance.

I'm leaning to the Maserati but I'll probably have talked myself out of it come April, I hope not.

i used to masturbate over the skyline , but as i get older ive learned to appreciate the more sedate grand tourers.

aesthetics, luxury, refinement, practicality and style and are key factors.

performance, less so. its never needed.

in process of buying another car, to give the capri a wee rest over the winter, which was always the plan anyway...too much salt on the roads!so, went back to the first car i ever loved...an mg zti know folk are gonna go, "mgs...crap"but unless youve driven one you cant possibly say thathttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271120400852&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123HOW much car is that for under a grand!!mentalhad the diesel 135 before, so this jump up to the 190 should be nice!

I had a MG ZR which I bought from new in 2003.

Barely used it, but really liked the car despite the poor reviews some people gave it.

I used a works van most if the time when I was on the tools, so it kept the milage right down.

Some young fucker wiped me out when u was driving through Mastrick.

He came out of Lossie Place as I was driving along Dulnain and he T-Boned me.

Wrote the car off.

I was sad to see it go.

Good car for 5 years.

15k mileage.

i dare say they would be, the both of them are a lot more orientated towards the "sporty" edge, whereas the zt is both sport and comfort

it really isd quite bizarre trying to put down the zt's comfort, by judging a completely different car

Maybe I'm putting too much into the badge, but most cars seem to have a similar feel for me when it comes to cars in this budget. I honestly think it's just comfier seats in the ZT.

really?

mate the interiors must be totally different then

I can't see them being that different! I sat in one and didn't notice much of a difference between the two. My mates ZR was even worse! Everything about the interior was second rate and felt that way. If its just for the winter then it can't be imperative that its a top end interior.