Aberdeen City Centre

daytripping

It's the same situation all over the country and I can only see if getting worse in the coming months, when the full economic impact of Covid is felt. Falkirk high street is as Union st is described above, bookies and charity shops. 

Me and the Mrs have made a conscious effort of late to not buy things online and instead try and go to shops in the town. That and trying to avoid just using the supermarkets for what we need.  

16 minutes ago, King Street Loon said:

To put it bluntly, it's a shit hole. And that was before all this Covid bullshit.

Agreed, Union Street was not the best long before this COVID-19 stuff, however as Parky correctly points out pretty much every main Street across the country is experiencing exactly the same issues and problems.

Not sure what the answer is either to inject life back into it - zero rates, rent incentives might work but the council don't have that foresight unfortunately.

We try to 'buy local' as much as possible as well and thankfully Stonehaven has a great butcher, deli and baker which we make good use of. 

• Downvote 1
10 minutes ago, Geoff_Tipps said:

What did the council expect when they approved Union Square. Granted Coronavirus hasn't helped, but council haven't exactly helped encouraging the footfall away from Union Street.

aye that was a weird one.

i thought shopping centers were an 80s thing.

do other cities have new malls?

20 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Do you live in Stoney?

Can't think of any decent baker there, unless you're talking about Dave's home made?

Aye, live in Stonehaven and really enjoying doing so as well. Good pubs, restaurants, shops, people (on the whole) and good for the train station or heading South.

Goodfellows baker is decent in Stonehaven however the deli do their own fresh bread if you can get in early enough in order to get a loaf.

3 minutes ago, Bluto10 said:

aye that was a weird one.

i thought shopping centers were an 80s thing.

do other cities have new malls?

It's all part of this new culture of parking up, doing some shopping, having lunch in some bland as fuck chain restaurant before taking the kids to the cinema etc all conveniently under one roof.

It's a no from me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
9 minutes ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Aye, live in Stonehaven and really enjoying doing so as well. Good pubs, restaurants, shops, people (on the whole) and good for the train station or heading South.

Goodfellows baker is decent in Stonehaven however the deli do their own fresh bread if you can get in early enough in order to get a loaf.

Stoney is a smashing place, the crew and I have an annual piss up there during the summer months. I was looking to buy a house there but I’m glad I didn’t. I think the novelty of the place would have worn off if I did. It’s also quite expensive and hoora busy. 

• Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

Worst managed town in Scotland. Which is why there are no shops worth shopping in. You'll soon see. Their formula is entice the business, jack up the rents to an unfair degree, business fucks off, rinse and repeat. Mackie was good for our kids when we returned to the NE. Only ended up there cos we had too many kids and couldn't afford to buy in Aberdeen at that time. The most racist town in Scotland. Pubs are full of mutants apart from the one I still go to occasionally, which is only quarter full of mutants. Restaurants and take aways all shit. Great barber opposite Troupers and best coffee in the world at S & T

Well you know what they say about arseholes and opinions.

You must have done some amount of travelling to have been spent some time in every town in Scotland to make that comparison likes.

Not a fan of Six Degree North beer, the Tollbooth restaurant, Aunty Betty's etc. then?

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Studebaker-90 said:

I sure there is a crap town thread somewhere but I can’t be arsed with the footery search function. Anyway the worst town centre I’ve seen is motherwell, what an absolute dive of a place that is. Soulless poverty ridden hell. Cheap as fuck drinks in one of the social clubs before the game though 

You ever been to Barrow-in-Furness?

Jeepers, what a dump. At least it was the last time I was there 10 years ago. Doubt it's changed much.

35 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

@For Fecks Sake

Do you NOT agree about the racism? Do you know the guys in the busiest hostelry, including the owner?

Now tell us, how do the tree stumps and trees and branches etc. end up on the beach at Stoney? Did you think it through? You must've been drinking last night eh?

I don't agree with the racism jibe at all, however I also appreciate that just because I haven't encountered it does not mean it does not go on.

What examples of racism have you encountered there like?

No cannot say I know the movers and shakers of Stonehaven as you obviously do, then again you are the one who like to hang around with 'millionaire businessmen' as previously posted.

If you have been in McHardys anytime in the last few years since it got taken over again it's back to its high standard. The bloke who took it over from Charlie and his brother was, excuse the pun, mince and it did go downhill however the new owners have turned it right around again.

39 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You voted Conservative Stoney. That's how fucking shit you are. Andrew Bowie? Wot wuz ye thinking? Aspirational country town living from scum in the city we might understand but the fucking locals are all Boris fans, hated Corbyn and the SNP. Very hunnish town and loads of Celtic too. 

You need to give it a rest RS, cannot understand how someone can have so much hate and venom on a Monday morning.

Either you are just at it and someone who enjoys winding up folk or you are actually fucking mentally retarded.

If you are not falling out with a poster who, god forbid, happens to have an alternative view on things you spout bile and hatred with the sole view of causing trouble. And you then also wonder why good posters no longer frequent the Hat, well it's exactly because of Fuds like you.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
5 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You're twisting things again and you still didn't answer the questions, having launched two unprovoked ad hominem attacks last night. For the second time, I let the first one go and for the second time, we find ourselves here.

The busiest hostelry? I already told you. You said the pubs were great. You obviously don't know them. Or they don't like you and shut up when you're around. The owner, who I actually like and get on with openly talks about Hamilton accies and n words. Did you miss this?

And why did you all vote for Bowie?

What the actual fuck?!?!

You bring up racism, I ask for an example and now you are the one avoiding the question!

So one pub owner uses the n word and the entire town is branded 'Scotlands most racist' ?

Unlike you I don't have the need to sound out owners or 'millionaire businessmen' in a vain attempt to try and become associated with them, but that does not stop me from enjoying a pint or meal in their establishments.

19 minutes ago, rocket_scientist said:

You fucking started it, twice!

I'm out mate, exactly because of thick cunts like you. 

Or is it perhaps when people start asking you questions that you know you cannot answer coherently or when you have continued to make an absolute arse of yourself that you slither away.

Most racist town in Scotland because someone uses a naughty word, that really is, to quote a long established but now gone (for now) poster @Millertime
rather pathetic.