Smoking Ban

Jaws

Should the ban go ahead?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should the ban go ahead?

• Yes
    • No

I'm an ex smoker who only really smoked when I was out on the piss, but I think it's bollocks having a govt that are happy to sell you something, rake in millions from the sale of the same product but then limit the places you can enjoy it.

It would have been just as easy to ask the pubs to put some of the profit they make from another legally addictive drug, alcohol, into installing proper extractor fans etc which would cut down the amount of second hand smoke that everybody complains about, but that would have pissed off the wrong people wouldn't it.

One of the most common quotes is the "I'd love to go out for a drink but I hate coming home and having my clothes smell of smoke" aye, you'll just smell of sweat, greasy chip fat, kebabs and public toilets instead. If you're not washing your clothes after a night out then you're obviously some kind of mink who doesn't take personal hygiene very seriously.

One of the most common quotes is the "I'd love to go out for a drink but I hate coming home and having my clothes smell of smoke" aye, you'll just smell of sweat, greasy chip fat, kebabs and public toilets instead. If you're not washing your clothes after a night out then you're obviously some kind of mink who doesn't take personal hygiene very seriously.

Yeah but a person is hardly going to die from sweat are they.I'm sorry but people should be able to go out and enjoy their night without smelling like 1000 fag packets. :dontknow:

i occasionally smoke when out, but very rarely.

I hate myself for it cause i really hate smoking.

Most of my mates from back home who smoke started smoking when they were going out and they now smoke all the time. Last time i was home it was sh*te cause everyone at my table was smoking and it was sh*te. Perhaps a public ban will stop many people starting aswell as helping passive smokers.

I actually work in a pub during the holidays. I don't smoke, but probably 95% of our customers do. The ban probably will affect business, but it remains to be seen how badly. I've spoken to a lot of people about what they'll do and there's been a fairly even spread of reactions - some say they'll give up, some say they'll go out less, and others say they'll just use the shelter we're building outside. As a customer, I can't wait to be able to go out and not reek the next day; but from a business point of view I'm not entirely convinced. I voted yes, however.

I like to think I can go out for a couple of pints and not get covered in food or piss :itch-chin: I for one am not going to get my jacket dry-cleaned every time I go to the pub - it still stinks of smoke every morning, though.

Valid points there UniDon.Yeah it is a shame that businesses will be affected,but that shouldn't deter the fact that people are dying from passive-smoking.That advert on TV about the woman sitting in the pub with the two smokers and it shows her dying is heartbreaking.That is the bigger picture in this debate i believe.

• 7 years later...

plenty boozer over here flaunt the rules and smoke anyway.

some have smooking booths, like telephone boxes, inside the pub for folk who want a snout without going outside.

A few places in Krakow had smoking rooms, great idea, no staff in them just people who wanted a smoke.

A sensible solution, we're too nanny state here, it wouldn't happen.

They'll ban smoking from pub doorways next.

Disgusting habit anyway. Stinks, lethal, expensive, tacky, the list is endless. Why anyone would choose to shorten their capabilities in such a way is crazy. I fucking hate it.

I mind some cunt was smoking in the bus stop across fae Mcdonalds last year and it was pishing doon. I said he had to get out as I didnt want to be stinking of it. He blew it in my face and I headbutted him, never been violent in my life. Had a cut on my foreheed from his tooth, the fag fell out though so all was well in the end :) Peace and love children.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

The amount of boozers that have closed since this ban speaks volumes.

Think that and the price of booze has killed off quite a lot of boozers!

Aye? Apart from the Auchmill Inn I can't think of any others in Aberdeen.

I think that's what he meant Karl, ie. total complete and utter over-reaction.

Well you'll not have to headbutt me, poodles. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I was getting ridickleeous up to 30 a day. I blame going to an Arabic nation a few times in the last couple of years and buying duty frees. When they were cheaper, I smoked more. How nuts is that? Actually, I think it was just cos there were heaps of them rather than anything to do with cost. But they were nearly

am not a smoker myself but if someone wants to then i see no problem in them puffin away to ther hearts content.

I knew you'd think like that mate.

Why do people interfere in other peoples life's, I don't care what people get up to, go eat a kfc for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day if you like, it's your life.

If I die young because I smoke and drink you won't hear me moaning about it, it was my decisions to make.

I knew you'd think like that mate.

Why do people interfere in other peoples life's, I don't care what people get up to, go eat a kfc for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day if you like, it's your life.

If I die young because I smoke and drink you won't hear me moaning about it, it was my decisions to make.

yep, why all the fuss?

the gov would be better spent sorting out the national drug problem than worrying about a few folk lighting up.

Theres been loads dude

Rosemount - What, took 7 years?

Thistle - nae idea far that is

Waterfront

Kings Bar - What, took 7 years?

Bud Bar - hardly think that was smoking related eh, more fashion?

Broadhill - LOL, wise up

Schooner - nae idea

Criterion - open

Star and garter - Open under a new name

Not really much of an argument that is it? Or are you saying that there would have been no badly run bars shutting down if it wasn't for the smoking ban?

I cant fukin stand the smoke police.

I had one boy at work telling me I shouldnt be going for a smoke when it was snowing as I was increasing the departments risk to an incident because I could slip and fall outside in the process, no joke, true story.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I cant fukin stand the smoke police.

I had one boy at work telling me I shouldnt be going for a smoke when it was snowing as I was increasing the departments risk to an incident because I could slip and fall outside in the process, no joke, true story.

Why are smokers entitled to extra breaks? :dontknow: