Livingston 1 - 2 Aberdeen (29/12)

we were playing with 3 strikers and put 2 past the 3rd best defence in the league, Do you guys think this is the way forward and can we rely on May to basically provide assists and drag defenders out of position allowing Cossy/Willson to bang them in.

I

I was thinking the same though think we only played with 3 strikers because of how many injuries and suspensions we had. And to be fair we never really looked like scoring until Wilson came on. It did get me thinking though if a 4-4-2 would work with the 3 of them in the team (would obviously need Wilson to consistently maintain the form he showed in the Livi game). May is capable of putting in a good shift on the left and he provided a great cross for Cosgrove's first goal in the Hearts game.

Playing May instead of McGinn or McLennan in a 4-4-2 is an option McInnes has I suppose with both of them waiting in the wings to come on if needed. I still think at this point in his career McLennan is more effective as a second half sub when he is full of energy running direct against tiring defences as he showed in the Livi home game.

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna New LB

GMS Ferguson Shinnie May

Cosgrove Wilson

I

I was thinking the same though think we only played with 3 strikers because of how many injuries and suspensions we had. And to be fair we never really looked like scoring until Wilson came on. It did get me thinking though if a 4-4-2 would work with the 3 of them in the team (would obviously need Wilson to consistently maintain the form he showed in the Livi game). May is capable of putting in a good shift on the left and he provided a great cross for Cosgrove's first goal in the Hearts game.

Playing May instead of McGinn or McLennan in a 4-4-2 is an option McInnes has I suppose with both of them waiting in the wings to come on if needed. I still think at this point in his career McLennan is more effective as a second half sub when he is full of energy running direct against tiring defences as he showed in the Livi home game.

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna New LB

GMS Ferguson Shinnie May

Cosgrove Wilson

I think McLennan has done just fine and is a better option than playing May wide.  The more games he has the better he will get.  Same as McKenna did.  He's made of the same stuff.

we were playing with 3 strikers and put 2 past the 3rd best defence in the league, Do you guys think this is the way forward and can we rely on May to basically provide assists and drag defenders out of position allowing Cossy/Willson to bang them in.

Didn't think the front 3 had the right balance with Cosgrove tending to be pulled wide, when Anderson was on especially, I think the balance of the side with a front 2 has been good.

Its decent to have options and no we can play a few different systems without falling apart

I think McLennan has done just fine and is a better option than playing May wide. The more games he has the better he will get. Same as McKenna did. He's made of the same stuff.

McLennan is a strong boy he's more ready for the physicality of the league than what Wright is. I still think he will find himself on the bench once GMS returns. However the thought of McLennan on one wing and GMS on the other is a very good one they could do a lot of damage playing together in this league.

McLennan is a strong boy he's more ready for the physicality of the league than what Wright is. I still think he will find himself on the bench once GMS returns. However the thought of McLennan on one wing and GMS on the other is a very good one they could do a lot of damage playing together in this league.

I agree.

Where does that leave McGinn?  Bench?  No. 10?

Bench I'd say if we continue playing with two strikers which we surely must. But I think McInnes will likely stick with McGinn and GMS on the flanks as first choice picks once GMS returns which means McLennan on the bench.

Aye possibly.  He'll be a first team pick for sure next season though I reckon.  Even if GMS was to stay.

I think McGinn has seen the writing on the wall with McLennan after his recent article about wanting to play through the middle

I think that's harsh, McLennan looks the real deal

I never said he wasn't I said I think at this stage of his career he's more effective coming off the bench. Two of his best performances for us were when he came on from the bench (Cup final and Livi at home).

McLennan will be a big player for us. I agree that he is the real deal.

I never said he wasn't I said I think at this stage of his career he's more effective coming off the bench. Two of his best performances for us were when he came on from the bench (Cup final and Livi at home).

McLennan will be a big player for us. I agree that he is the real deal.

Who have we got that would be more effective than him from the start though?

Who have we got that would be more effective than him from the start though?

McGinn and GMS will i'd imagine be the regular starters once the season resumes.

I'm not saying McLennan shouldn't start some games he should and no doubt will. But I don't see him as an automatic starter every week either. Players with his pace, skill, directness and trickery can sometimes be more effective coming on later in the game which is why him being on the bench in some games shouldn't really be seen as a negative.

McGinn and GMS will i'd imagine be the regular starters once the season resumes.

I'm not saying McLennan shouldn't start some games he should and no doubt will. But I don't see him as an automatic starter every week either. Players with his pace, skill, directness and trickery can sometimes be more effective coming on later in the game which is why him being on the bench in some games shouldn't really be seen as a negative.

I hear you but most wingers perform better when fresh against tired full backs.

I think he becomes a better player quicker by starting games provided he's physically and mentally capable which I think he is.

I hear you but most wingers perform better when fresh against tired full backs.

I think he becomes a better player quicker by starting games provided he's physically and mentally capable which I think he is.

I'm just glad he's our player as he has loads of potential. His performance against Livi at home when he came in on that second half turned the game competely. The difference between his performance in the second half and the player he replaced at half-time (Wright) was night and day.

We have the best group of young players we've had for a long time in my opinion.

Surely no-one can suggest that the person on the right isn't interfering with play.

Per the FIFA presentation linked in the thread:

“Interfering with an opponent” means:
- Preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball. For example, by clearly obstructing the goalkeeper’s line of vision or movement.
- Making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent.

At no point is Hardie not moving towards the ball or Considine.  

Wasn't as clear cut as this one (not given as offside) was though:

He's not interfering with play by the interpretation of the laws today as indeed provided in your own FIFA explanation.

He's not interfering with play by the interpretation of the laws today as indeed provided in your own FIFA explanation.

That's fair enough tiktak.

But as a former referee can you explain why we so often see a player hit a shot at goal which the GK saves and the rebound then falls to a player who was standing in an offside position when the initial shot was taken (but clearly wasn't distracting the GK so therefore wasn't active). That player then knocks the ball into the net. Virtually every single time that will be flagged for offside.

Bench I'd say if we continue playing with two strikers which we surely must. But I think McInnes will likely stick with McGinn and GMS on the flanks as first choice picks once GMS returns which means McLennan on the bench.

I am a bit pissed and still new to sussing this geek stuff out but what about Mcginn and may switching positions 

That's fair enough tiktak.

But as a former referee can you explain why we so often see a player hit a shot at goal which the GK saves and the rebound then falls to a player who was standing in an offside position when the initial shot was taken (but clearly wasn't distracting the GK so therefore wasn't active). That player then knocks the ball into the net. Virtually every single time that will be flagged for offside.

That goes down as "gaining an advantage by being in that position". I know you can make the same argument in other circumstances but it then comes down to the refs interpretation of the situation. Bit like hand ball in the penalty box ie was it deliberate or not. It's not always black or white.