Maloney or Goodwin

Hibs have been really poor since he's came in.  It's all very well learning the best tactics at the biggest clubs, it's another to be able to implement them with a far inferior set of players and have the ability to change things around when it doesn't go your way.  He might excel down in England with a better calibre of player, but he'll struggle when his best players are on par with Porteous. 

5 hours ago, Sonoftherock said:

Think Maloney will prove to be Hibs Ian Cathro.  They were an absolute shambles at the weekend.  The worst I've seen at Pittodrie this season.

Maloney, by all accounts, is an excellent training ground coach and has a good football brain - but like Cathro, he just doesn't inspire as a leader.

I know a few Hibs fans and they all want wee Maloney gone already.

I’m not sure exactly what Maloney’s win stats are at Hibs but it’s appallingly bad. Add that onto Jack Ross’s last dozen games or so.

And Hibs will probably still stagger over the line to a top 6 finish!!!

How the fuck did/will that happen?

As a lover of Scottish football in general outside of the Weegie 2, I thought his appointment was a good one, and one that I’d have welcomed here in March 2021. But as has been said already, that was the worst Hibs team I’ve seen in a long long time. Granted, we are pish too but at least we know better days are ahead for us.

Maloney will be gone in the summer, I reckon.

Just now, sooth_stander said:

I’m not sure exactly what Maloney’s win stats are at Hibs but it’s appallingly bad. Add that onto Jack Ross’s last dozen games on so.

And Hibs will probably stagger over the line to a top 6 finish.

How the fuck did/will that happen?

As a lover of Scottish football in general outside of the Weegie 2, I thought his appointment was a good one, and one that I’d have welcomed here in March 2021. But as has been said already, that was the worst Hibs team I’ve seen in a long long time. Granted, we are pish too but at least we know better days are ahead for us.

Maloney will be gone in the summer, I reckon.

He comes across as a bit of a wimp. He's also got no experience managing in Scotland, like Glass, and he's been learning the trade at a much higher level than Scottish Football. I don't think his experience as assistant manager at one of the top international sides in the world is of any use to managing a club in Scotland. Don't get me wrong,  that experience isn't bad, its just that it's in no way transferable to Hibs without a shit load of money, and even then Belgium weren't playing against St MIrren, Dundee or Motherwell. 

10 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

He comes across as a bit of a wimp. He's also got no experience managing in Scotland, like Glass, and he's been learning the trade at a much higher level than Scottish Football. I don't think his experience as assistant manager at one of the top international sides in the world is of any use to managing a club in Scotland. Don't get me wrong,  that experience isn't bad, its just that it's in no way transferable to Hibs without a shit load of money, and even then Belgium weren't playing against St MIrren, Dundee or Motherwell. 

If he had a mullet, I could have sworn it was Phil Collins standing in the away technical area on Saturday 

Since they appointed McLeish in 1998 they've had 16 permanent managers in 24 years.

In the last 12 years, only Lennon has lasted longer than 2 years ( Stubbs got close but left 2 weeks short of it). The rest lasted 13 months at most. It surely has to impact their playing budget when you keep firing managers so often and so short of the end of their contracts.

I wanted Glass gone in October and Id've been happy with Maloney as his replacement....you would have thought he'd have learned loads as Martinez' assistant. Thank fuck Cormack held off as it's looking like Maloney is every bit as bad as Glass. If he fails to get Hibs top 6 he'll be the next casualty in the summer (unless he can somehow win them the SC)

33 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

Since they appointed McLeish in 1998 they've had 16 permanent managers in 24 years.

In the last 12 years, only Lennon has lasted longer than 2 years ( Stubbs got close but left 2 weeks short of it). The rest lasted 13 months at most. It surely has to impact their playing budget when you keep firing managers so often and so short of the end of their contracts.

I wanted Glass gone in October and Id've been happy with Maloney as his replacement....you would have thought he'd have learned loads as Martinez' assistant. Thank fuck Cormack held off as it's looking like Maloney is every bit as bad as Glass. If he fails to get Hibs top 6 he'll be the next casualty in the summer (unless he can somehow win them the SC)

To be expected at a tinpot yo-yo club like Hibs.  I'd not be surprised if their maroon cousins had similar stats

27 minutes ago, NEM said:

To be expected at a tinpot yo-yo club like Hibs.  I'd not be surprised if their maroon cousins had similar stats

If you take it back as far as Eddie Turnbull’s sacking in 1980, the stats are even worse, even allowing for Alex Miller’s 10 year tenure.

AFC’s managerial stats are positively stable, compared to our Edinburgh cousins.

18 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

If you take it back as far as Eddie Turnbull’s sacking in 1980, the stats are even worse, even allowing for Alex Miller’s 10 year tenure.

AFC’s managerial stats are positively stable, compared to our Edinburgh cousins.

Jesus imagine having to endure THAT cunt for 10 whole years.  Grim ?

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

I don't get the Martinez thing, he's at best a bog average manager. Has done absolutely nothing with Belgium that their squad of players wasn't capable of. A golden generation of players who have never looked like winning anything under his leadership. Maloney would have learned nothing of value under him, maybe got a load of contacts he can use for his benefit but that's about it. Martinez ain't the only one I don't get either. Stephen Kenny at Rep Of Ireland? Why? And FFS the gimp at the other Ireland, Ian Baraclough. In the name of fuck, he's a non league, boot it tae fuck dinosaur. Just don't get it.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Jigsaw666 said:

I don't get the Martinez thing, he's at best a bog average manager. Has done absolutely nothing with Belgium that their squad of players wasn't capable of. A golden generation of players who have never looked like winning anything under his leadership. Maloney would have learned nothing of value under him, maybe got a load of contacts he can use for his benefit but that's about it. Martinez ain't the only one I don't get either. Stephen Kenny at Rep Of Ireland? Why? And FFS the gimp at the other Ireland, Ian Baraclough. In the name of fuck, he's a non league, boot it tae fuck dinosaur. Just don't get it.

You may have a point about only achieving what was expected of him with Belgium. Nevertheless he did get them their best ever World Cup Finals finish. And got them to being the number 1 ranked international side and kept them there for 2 and a half years.

You don't think winning the FA Cup for Wigan was impressive?

Or a 5th place finish in the EPL for Everton ahead of Spurs and Man U?

Tough school in your house.

1 hour ago, huncunts said:

Maloney was chosen by them for the same misguided reasons as Glass and appears to have the exact same missing qualities. 

Glass, at least, seemed to have half an idea.

Keep possession, and don't be scared to pass the ball square or backwards any time we get pressed by the opposition (which was every single game), and build again from the back... just like them fancy continental clubs do. 

Only problem is those fancy continental clubs have fast players capable of exploiting killer through balls from their creative midfielders, and we had neither the fast players nor the creative midfielders to create goalscoring chances. 

We got to the halfway line... if we were lucky... got closed down, and then it was either pass it back or lose possession entirely. 

Maloney's Hibs, on the other hand, seem to have no gameplan aside from constant fouling and shouting at the referee. 

3 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

You may have a point about only achieving what was expected of him with Belgium. Nevertheless he did get them their best ever World Cup Finals finish. And got them to being the number 1 ranked international side and kept them there for 2 and a half years.

You don't think winning the FA Cup for Wigan was impressive?

Or a 5th place finish in the EPL for Everton ahead of Spurs and Man U?

Tough school in your house.

Still got Wigan relegated as did Mcleish with Birmingham and he won the cup also.  Got Everton 5th, one position up from the previous season. Then dropped to 11th the following one. Could argue Moyes left him a decent side which dropped down quickly after one season. Belgium No 1 ranked team in FIFA's silly ranking system. Never even got the top team to a final. Just not convinced by him. His defensive record at Wigan was garbage. BTW Ebbe got us to TWO cup finals the same year we just about got relegated. Cup runs can hide many failings.

On 3/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, winchester83 said:

I m don’t understand why Maloney gets the cred he does .I think we dodged a bullet with him. Goodwin was our only choice, he’ll do well for us.

l

Wasn't Maloney already in the hibs job when we got Goodwin?

Maloney appointment just highlights the clueless, delusional fucking nonsense that get spouted in the Scottish media and by fans and then some retard director hears it and thinks “aye that sounds good.”

Maloney, as expected, will do fuck all at Hibs. Didnt want him anywhere near us either. Argued with someone on here pre-Glass who was saying of course the players will respect and listen to him cos he was such a good player and was Belgium number 2. Laughable stuff. A quick chat with the guy and you know he’s not a leader of men. End of story.

Players are fucking mongols, they need an authoritative leader to some degree or they just please themselves. 

• Upvote 1