Civil Partnership

daytripping

A court of law has said it's ok for bufties but not straight people, that has to be wrong, I don't want to get married but wouldn't mind my relationship being made official by the state, just for legal stuff really like no hassle when one of us dies and the other gets what the other owns, pensions and stuff.

Why do gay people have more rights than those of us who don't want the fuss of being married??

Perhaps a rather high brow subject for the hat but i'm putting it out there.

It seems more like they're going to be phasing out civil partnerships to avoid legal differences.

Short point is to me, it seems that they're doing this out of spite. Yes they should be able to, but it's easy to see why the powers that be don't want it to start.

Everyone can get married, so let's just have people getting married eh?

It seems more like they're going to be phasing out civil partnerships to avoid legal differences.

Short point is to me, it seems that they're doing this out of spite. Yes they should be able to, but it's easy to see why the powers that be don't want it to start.

Everyone can get married, so let's just have people getting married eh?

Tough to get out of, why bother, and why go through the hassle, not everyone wants the "big" day, I'm one of them, fuck that.

I want an online form to fill out to give me married peoples rights, have lived with her near 20 years, why shouldn't we have the same rights as married people?

Tough to get out of, why bother, and why go through the hassle, not everyone wants the "big" day, I'm one of them, fuck that.

I want an online form to fill out to give me married peoples rights, have lived with her near 20 years, why shouldn't we have the same rights as married people?

Just go to the registrars office. My da and step ma didn't have a big day. All done within 3 hours.

• Upvote 1

Tough to get out of, (1)why bother, and why go through the hassle, not everyone wants the "big" day, I'm one of them, fuck that.

I want an online form to fill out to (2)give me married peoples rights, have lived with her near 20 years, (3)why shouldn't we have the same rights as married people?

(1) So you have married people's rights.

(2) Get married.

(3) You're not married.

• Upvote 1

(1) So you have married people's rights.

(2) Get married.

(3) You're not married.

You're being pedantic, my point is who gives anyone the right to say that's how it should be done, is my relationship any less valid because i've not signed a marriage form?? it's like people who believe in the god in the sky, it's all bollocks. I don't need a big day out and ten grand spent to validate me and my girlfriend.

You're being pedantic, my point is who gives anyone the right to say that's how it should be done, is my relationship any less valid because i've not signed a marriage form?? it's like people who believe in the god in the sky, it's all bollocks. I don't need a big day out and ten grand spent to validate me and my girlfriend.

Yes.

Take Pudgie's advice.

Well dinna.

Just sign the fucking papers and be done with it.

• Upvote 1

A court of law has said it's ok for bufties but not straight people, that has to be wrong, I don't want to get married but wouldn't mind my relationship being made official by the state, just for legal stuff really like no hassle when one of us dies and the other gets what the other owns, pensions and stuff.

Why do gay people have more rights than those of us who don't want the fuss of being married??

Perhaps a rather high brow subject for the hat but i'm putting it out there.

For once dayts I'm in total agreement with you, people that decide they are committed to each other but dont want to get married should be allowed to formalise that in a civil partnership so their partner has all the legal rights and responsibilities a married couple have.

If you havent sorted all that out you should asap.

Go see a solicitor and give each other complete power of attorney. When my dad was in hospital there was a guy in his ward that his partner couldnt do anything for unless social workers signed it off. She couldnt take money out the bank to buy his things for in hospital, arrange changes to the house with 'his money' to make his life easier when they sent him home and it made everything take 5 times longer than it should. He was in for 6 months when my dad arrived and was still there when he got out.

Is there still a difference in tax codes for married folk? Plenty of things like that always seem a bit unfair for someone who doesn't want to get married but is in a long term relationship. Obviously plenty other things in life will crop up. Definitely worth checking with a lawyer or citizens advice?

Think the tax relief for married people was done away with quite a while ago, could be wrong but that would be a rare event. Was always a Tory family values thing, suspect Labour binned it.

BTW (By the way), I need to vent this, the people who save for years to spend vast amounts of thousands on one day to get married are not right in the head, I worked with a bloke who knocked in the overtime for years as his wedding was costing 20 grand, fuck that, over in a blink of an eye, put a deposit on a house or buy a nice motor, treat yourself to a luxury round the World holiday, don't treat distant relatives and vague friends to a slap up meal and disco just for the facebook likes.

It's a word, marriage. It used to be a religious institution but now it is just the legal term used for a couple who are legally partners. Civil partnerships only exist because the church have far too much influence in this country and kicked up a stink about gay people getting married.

Saying you want to be legally recognised as a couple but don't want to get married makes no sense at all. That's what getting married is, unless you are religious.

If you want your relationship legally recognised, fill in a form, go to the registrars, sign a form and bingo you're married. No ceremony, no religious pish done.

These two pursuing legal challenges are a couple of time wasting pricks.

• Upvote 2

Is there still a difference in tax codes for married folk? Plenty of things like that always seem a bit unfair for someone who doesn't want to get married but is in a long term relationship. Obviously plenty other things in life will crop up. Definitely worth checking with a lawyer or citizens advice?

No but you can take some your wife's tax free allowance over to you if she doesnt work and vice versa.

Do they not recognise de facto relationships in Scotland? Here's how it works in Oz:

Changes to the Family Law Act in 2009 brought de facto couples within the federal law and so those couples who separate after 1 March 2009 are, at least for the purposes of a property settlement and division of assets, treated no differently to married couples. Same with tax etc.

I'm in the same boat as you BT. Been with the same girl for over 20 years, saw no need to 'legalise' the relationship and fundamentally our relationship attracts the same 'rights/obligations' of those who are recognised as married by the state.

It's a word, marriage. It used to be a religious institution but now it is just the legal term used for a couple who are legally partners.

Marriage is a natural institution, an anthropological reality, regardless of it being religious or secular in type.

(This was an argument against "gay marriage" which isnt a natural institution but an invention).

• Downvote 2

Do they not recognise de facto relationships in Scotland? Here's how it works in Oz:

Scotland abolished this recognition in 2006.

It was known as "marriage by cohabitation with habit and repute" and a couple had to live together continuously for a period for it to apply.

I don't know why it was abolished, I think it was maybe to do with trying to get rid of difficult court cases where (eg) someones partner has died and they rely on the deceased persons pension, but they were never formally married and so the pension company doesn't want to pay it.

I find it sad that having a child is almost a non decision with people nowadays, but going cap in hand to the church and the state to ask permission to be a "married couple" has so much drama around it, Surely the whole point is that you shouldn't have a child unless your in it for a long haul, not a life time or forever but long enough until a child can look after itself, Instead its like the most important people are the ones having there "special day" and churning out a kid is a mere by product.

Marriage is a natural institution, an anthropological reality, regardless of it being religious or secular in type.

(This was an argument against "gay marriage" which isnt a natural institution but an invention).

You highlight your own ignorance spouting this type of shit. Marriage whether between a man and a woman, a man and a man or a woman and a woman is a societal construct. It's not up to you say what is natural and what is not.

Homosexuality has been around since the dawn of time. Humans forming relationships, fucking each other and spending time with each other is 100% natural regardless of gender.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You highlight your own ignorance spouting this type of shit. Marriage whether between a man and a woman, a man and a man or a woman and a woman is a societal construct. It's not up to you say what is natural and what is not.

Homosexuality has been around since the dawn of time. Humans forming relationships, fucking each other and spending time with each other is 100% natural regardless of gender.

So is it natural for the human kind not to be able to reproduce?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1