Young Players Breaking through

Yeah I think with McInnes it was a self fulfilling prophecy with our youth. He didn’t like taking risks and destroyed lots of young players careers only for folk to say they’ve done nothing since they’ve left, which reflected the extreme level of damage he imposed on them during a crucial development period for them.

That said I don’t blame McInnes as his remit seemed to be average and perform to budget as home with no expectation or targets in Europe. Therefore filling the squad with journeyman pros rather than try to develop youth is the safest way to achieve that. Certainly I’d rather what mcinnes did over McGhee who gave youth Fyvie, Jack, Fraser, Robertson etc a chance but was awful, although think there needs to be a balance and I think the club strategy reflects that.

Hopefully Glass gets the right balance. I saw in Cormack’s chat with Graeme Spiers he mentioned Glass looking to develop young players as a positive and noted he’d not just give them a token 5 mins at the end of the game which I took as a bit of a dig a mcinnes. However greater game exposures will see these players improve to a standard better than we could realistic look to but in.

53 minutes ago, Oregon Red said:

LIke almost everyone else on here i am thrilled to see Ramsay and McKenzie doing well. Though it struck my mind..how much youngsters has McInnes totally destroyed? All those dismissed to obscurity..how much could Glass have got something from?

Cammy smith being the stand out candidate. Couldn’t go out on loan but got 3 mins at the end of majority of games for a couple seasons. Lead to believe he was a real stand out and should of went on to better things. 

4 minutes ago, slippers said:

Cammy smith being the stand out candidate. Couldn’t go out on loan but got 3 mins at the end of majority of games for a couple seasons. Lead to believe he was a real stand out and should of went on to better things. 

Went to dufc and was shite despite early promise iirc. Couldnt have been very good is my conclusion

19 minutes ago, slippers said:

To be fair he played 85 minutes of the league cup final vs Caley.  Punted on at the start for Hayes and hooked off at the end!

20 minutes ago, slippers said:

All the skill in the world but sadly was as slow as a snail and lacked a bit of heart.

He's found his level

For me, it’s not as simple as Glass will play the youth and Mcinnes didn’t. It’ll take a few years to rectify our lack of youth players making an impact. We’ve now got somebody who is on the same wavelength to do what’s best for the CLUB, not just themselves aka Mcinnes. When people speak about lost talent, that’ll happen in most clubs. The REAL negligence during Mcinnes tenure was youth players were being developed completely separately from the style and tactics of play that the first team was using. So players like Shankland and Smith would only have opportunities if the stars aligned and they performed miracles during their short cameos. They were fed to the lions, and years of development were wasted when these players were thrown into alien formations or teams designed not to play the technical football they were coached to play.

The REAL difference between Glass and Mcinnes is that the teams are aligned. They are trying to play the same way. They are training together. THAT will be what gives our players the best chance of progressing.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Simply Red said:

Went to dufc and was shite despite early promise iirc. Couldnt have been very good is my conclusion

Aye but thats the point. The damage done at an important stage of their career was irreversible and as a result he never reached those levels. The two years he spent getting 5 mins at the end of games he should have been out on loan. If Jack McKenzie had been released last summer he probably would have dropped down the divisions and ended up in highland league. The fact hes had a chance to impress and taken it means he will only improve now. 

• Upvote 1
44 minutes ago, dazzy_deff said:

Aye but thats the point. The damage done at an important stage of their career was irreversible and as a result he never reached those levels. The two years he spent getting 5 mins at the end of games he should have been out on loan. If Jack McKenzie had been released last summer he probably would have dropped down the divisions and ended up in highland league. The fact hes had a chance to impress and taken it means he will only improve now. 

Exactly you have to be playing at a young age. Club actually has a designated person that looks after the development. His job is to farm players out on loan if they are good enough. I have no doubt alot of young players would benefit from playing at even Highland league level over u18/21 level but ultimately want to be putting them to a team that plays the right type of football and will be playing every week. 

28 minutes ago, sooth_stander said:

Trying to work out which one was Hancock in the half time warm up, concluded he was the tall left footed player? He might get a shottie on Sunday.

Yeah that's him. I wouldn't be surprised if he did get a game alongside Gallagher.

You all know my opinions on McInnes & his failure to get the best from youth players & play them how they should be played. protected & to their strengths to suit their games otherwise it is completely pointless playing them because all you do is piss them off or make their heads go down, or get the fans on their backs. 

McInnes was & shall remain a charlatan to me. 

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, 1983 said:

For me, it’s not as simple as Glass will play the youth and Mcinnes didn’t. It’ll take a few years to rectify our lack of youth players making an impact. We’ve now got somebody who is on the same wavelength to do what’s best for the CLUB, not just themselves aka Mcinnes. When people speak about lost talent, that’ll happen in most clubs. The REAL negligence during Mcinnes tenure was youth players were being developed completely separately from the style and tactics of play that the first team was using. So players like Shankland and Smith would only have opportunities if the stars aligned and they performed miracles during their short cameos. They were fed to the lions, and years of development were wasted when these players were thrown into alien formations or teams designed not to play the technical football they were coached to play.

The REAL difference between Glass and Mcinnes is that the teams are aligned. They are trying to play the same way. They are training together. THAT will be what gives our players the best chance of progressing.

Spot on

18 minutes ago, cruzcampo3 said:

Was a player Mciness was banging on about the start the 2019-20 season as the next best thing during the Q&A in 2019. Couldn’t be on the bench for a European game as was only 15 or 16 at the time. Was that Ramsay? Can’t remember who it was now 

I believe so.

3 hours ago, fine-n-dandy said:

You all know my opinions on McInnes & his failure to get the best from youth players & play them how they should be played. protected & to their strengths to suit their games otherwise it is completely pointless playing them because all you do is piss them off or make their heads go down, or get the fans on their backs. 

McInnes was & shall remain a charlatan to me. 

I dont know know your opinions on Mcinnes, or anything else for that matter.

Want to know why?

Because i tend to avoid your over frequent postings of absolute fucking drivel. ?

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, slippers said:

Exactly you have to be playing at a young age. Club actually has a designated person that looks after the development. His job is to farm players out on loan if they are good enough. I have no doubt alot of young players would benefit from playing at even Highland league level over u18/21 level but ultimately want to be putting them to a team that plays the right type of football and will be playing every week. 

That designated person is someone called Neil Simpson, know nothing about him at all apart from he was meant to be a great footballer in his day, meant to be hard as nails, way ahead of his time, loved taking the knee.