Malta V Scotland (1 - 5)

Comfortable in the end.

Fair play to him for playing Paterson and Robertson. Could be doing with a CB though.

Bannan is rubbish.

Chances of us stringing a few results together are slim but fine to start off with a win at least.

Good on you for going pal. Hope you enjoyed it, and you managed to buy a watch off their striker after the game.

snodgrass is playing well for hull as well so I hope he stays healthy.

I find it weird that a German team had to bring to the set ups attention our most expensive player, or am I missing something.

Burke was capped earlier in the year I think... well before his transfer to Germany.

Snodgrass got lucky with hat trick last night - the first was a fluke, the second was one of the worst penalty shouts I've seen. Having said that, Snodgrass is our best player - by some distance - at the moment. He's been really good whenever I've seen him this season - particularly against Leicester. His set pieces will also be vital.

Didn't see the game but think the score flatters to deceive.

Scoring 5 - great. Conceding against Malta - not great.

After nearly one hour of play versus a full strength Malta, it was 1-1.

Better teams than us have only scraped 1 goal wins against Malta., We got some luck for once

This is nothing more than job done against the weakest side in the group. The really hard work starts next month.

snodgrass is playing well for hull as well so I hope he stays healthy.

I find it weird that a German team had to bring to the set ups attention our most expensive player, or am I missing something.

Far be it for me to stick up for Strachan but he has got one thing right, he called up burke last season and said he was going to be some player. There was hype around him before he signed for a German club so it didn't take a German team to bring him to anyone's attention.

I agree on snodgrass, before his injury I thought the team should be built around him.

It's very hard to gauge anything against Malta, as I said above......job done. Move on and prepare for Lithuania and the our two biggest challenges against Slovakia and England.

I would.

Keep maybe the best 4 or 5 older guys as I say then fill the squad with the youngsters.

We most likely aren't going to Russia anyway.

Perhaps, but we may have a good chance of qualifying. After all, our group only consists of:

The Cast of Trainspotting
A human-size PitBull in charge of some millionaires
A broken lightbulb
Your gran
Her friend who you call "Auntie" but isn't your auntie.
A half eaten biscuit
We might scrape 2nd.
#IhaveNoideaWherethisOptimismStemsfrom

I thought Bannan had a great game last night.

Looking back at Malta's results, nobody gives them a thrashing like that very often. In days gone by we'd have scraped a win or drawn that match so its progress of sorts...............not much though. Jury is very much out on Strachan.

It came back months ago with a verdict. He's shite.

• Upvote 2

Perhaps, but we may have a good chance of qualifying. After all, our group only consists of:

The Cast of Trainspotting
A human-size PitBull in charge of some millionaires
A broken lightbulb
Your gran
Her friend who you call "Auntie" but isn't your auntie.
A half eaten biscuit
We might scrape 2nd.
#IhaveNoideaWherethisOptimismStemsfrom

The Cast of Trainspotting - would beat us 3-0
A human-size PitBull in charge of some millionaires - 1-0 win for human pitbull
A broken lightbulb - probably a no score draw?
Your gran - she's dead but I still think she could cause Hanley some problems.lets say 2-1 my gran
Her friend who you call "Auntie" but isn't your auntie - your optimism is wearing off on me, I reckon we can take Auntie May 2-1
A half eaten biscuit. Easy win for Scotland. 1-0
I suppose I just feel happier trying to force optimism when we are at least playing some of the best young guys and giving them time to develop now rather than wait until they are suitably journeymenesque for the scotland team.
I've nothing against players of 28.29.30 but I don't think filling the whole squad or even 75% of the squad with them is the way to go when we haven't really got any outstanding players and they haven't exactly been a huge success so far.
Youthful enthusiasm and energy can add something too I think.
EDIT: to this end I was quite happy to see Paterson, Robertson, Burke all start last night but then it was spoiled by all the subs being old hands. Why not get McGinn on the field for example.

The Cast of Trainspotting - would beat us 3-0
A human-size PitBull in charge of some millionaires - 1-0 win for human pitbull
A broken lightbulb - probably a no score draw?
Your gran - she's dead but I still think she could cause Hanley some problems.lets say 2-1 my gran
Her friend who you call "Auntie" but isn't your auntie - your optimism is wearing off on me, I reckon we can take Auntie May 2-1
A half eaten biscuit. Easy win for Scotland. 1-0
I suppose I just feel happier trying to force optimism when we are at least playing some of the best young guys and giving them time to develop now rather than wait until they are suitably journeymenesque for the scotland team.
I've nothing against players of 28.29.30 but I don't think filling the whole squad or even 75% of the squad with them is the way to go when we haven't really got any outstanding players and they haven't exactly been a huge success so far.
Youthful enthusiasm and energy can add something too I think.
EDIT: to this end I was quite happy to see Paterson, Robertson, Burke all start last night but then it was spoiled by all the subs being old hands. Why not get McGinn on the field for example.

Exactly what I said during the tail end of the first half when we were dire. Game was crying out for a McGinn-type player to put his foot on the ball and try and make stuff happen.

Also agree that Bannan was excellent last night, 2nd best player on the park after Snodgrass. Razor has finally chucked it.

• Upvote 1

I fear we might get quite close enough to qualifying this campaign to keep Strachan and McGhee in the job for the next campaign.

Snodgrass has been a big miss for us, and Brown retiring means we might no longer feel like we are playing a man down when he's on the pitch.

We are still pathetic in defence though. Surely to jesus we have at least 1 CB who's better than Hanley? And a RB who's better than Paterson and Hutton?

Both should be banned from the campaign. As should Wallace. This bullshit will continue as long as it is tolerated.

Who am I kidding we're Scotland ffs.

In an ideal world I agree but we are in no position to ditch a proven goalscorer like Griffiths. The other pair can absolutely GTF.

As soon as he went off against us with half an hour to go I just knew that there would be some patently made-up excuse for him to withdraw from the national squad.

In an ideal world I agree but we are in no position to ditch a proven goalscorer like Griffiths. The other pair can absolutely GTF.

As soon as he went off against us with half an hour to go I just knew that there would be some patently made-up excuse for him to withdraw from the national squad.

Griffiths was genuinely injured, although not bad enough that he absolutely couldn't have played against Malta, just in a "doctor's advice is it's better not to play."

Had it had been England he wouldn't have pulled out.

But, how can we get angry about it? If it was Aberdeen and we had a big game the following week, would we want Hayes, McGinn or Shinnie playing international football with injuries? I was actually happy last night when I saw McGinn had only played the last 15 mins because he needs the rest.

I thought Bannan had a great game last night.

Looking back at Malta's results, nobody gives them a thrashing like that very often. In days gone by we'd have scraped a win or drawn that match so its progress of sorts...............not much though. Jury is very much out on Strachan.

Malta didn't deserve to lose 5-1 though. In "days gone by" we would have won 5-1 too with the same referee as last light, and we'd have likely only scraped a win last night with a better referee.

We had some good performances - Snodgrass, Bannan and Ritchie - but had we been away from home to any other team in the group last night, we could very well have lost the game.