Whisky, Whiskey And Bourbons: Your Recommendations Please.

I was never much into Whisky, Whiskey (if you prefer the American spelling) or Bourbon when living in Scotland but recently, I've developed a (healthy) taste for it.

Which, if any would you recommend?

(it would need to be reasonably well known/drunk - i.e. available overseas so Old Inverness is probably a no-go)

Thanks.

I was never much into Whisky, Whiskey (if you prefer the American spelling) or Bourbon when living in Scotland but recently, I've developed a (healthy) taste for it.

Which, if any would you recommend?

(it would need to be reasonably well known/drunk - i.e. available overseas so Old Inverness is probably a no-go)

Thanks.

A 15 year Glenfiddich.

1283387108_Glenfiddich%2015.jpg

• Upvote 1

Bog Standard Talisker, it's a fucking delight.

Had a cask Talisker the other week. 57 North?

Jesus fucking Christ.

First time I've really tried a whisky. I winna be trying that one again. Melted my windpipe.

My wife is quite the whisky buff these days.

Canna beat a Balvenie is her view on this thread.

Bog Standard Talisker, it's a fucking delight.

Here's the thing. Talisker and all the Islay malts are brutally different.

I can't stand them personally.They are an acquired taste.

I had Glendronach last night at my mate's house. A damn fine whisky. Sherry or Port cask finish, I think. Was pretty drunk by then.

Oh yeah, we were in the Dutch Mill for the Brazil game. Quite liked the boozer 30 and 35 years ago. Full of tossers now, wall to wall wankers.

Hard to see past 15 & 18 year old Glenfiddich, it's the boring answer, but they're popular for a reason I suppose.

The tour is good as well.

Glenlivet and Balvennie are also superb. I've heard the Glenlivet tour isn't up to much, however.

The best whisky I've ever tasted is still Johnnie Walker Blue. 'hooring expensive however, you're probably about £130 a bottle these days.

Fucking lovely stuff though.

I tried a 1st release BalBlair at the weekend, 2003. Was good but there is better. Ben Riach is a nice soft one to drink. I find that all my favourites are speyside and least favourites are island/ west coast. But I've only been drinking whisky for about 18 months so I'm sure I'll change. Aberlour, Dalmore, macallan, all lovely and easy to drink but I think the nicest one is BenRomach. Can get it in the Grill. Weapon of choice before meeting likes of Mobby and getting caught up in some hullabaloo

It's an acquired taste for sure. It's either yes or no with those types.

I can drink all whiskys but always feel a bit disappointed unless it's a salty smoky peat monster with notes of kippers fannies.

Stopped off in the Dutch Mill a few months back and it was fuds to a man in there, I've thought it every time I've been in though and no lure of "it serves a good pint" will change my mind. My only positive would be they seem to employ barely legal hot lassies behind the bar for old perverts like myself to think he might have a chance to fingerbang them in the disabled bogs.

I've only very recently got into malt whisky, as i'd never found one I'd enjoyed all that much. Had a few drams of bog standard Laphroaig which changed everything.

Only non peaty fucker I've actually enjoyed was a Balvennie 12 year old single barrel. Decent.

I tried a 1st release BalBlair at the weekend, 2003. Was good but there is better. Ben Riach is a nice soft one to drink. I find that all my favourites are speyside and least favourites are island/ west coast. But I've only been drinking whisky for about 18 months so I'm sure I'll change. Aberlour, Dalmore, macallan, all lovely and easy to drink but I think the nicest one is BenRomach. Can get it in the Grill. Weapon of choice before meeting likes of Mobby and getting caught up in some hullabaloo

How much are you for a dram of BenRomach in the Grill?

I fucking love the Grill.

• Upvote 1

Used to love the heavily peated whiskies but gone off them now in a big way now. Taste too much like TCP. Current favourite is Dalwhinne 15 year old. A 'speyside' style made with water from the Drumochter Hills - actually a Grampian-made whisky.

Grill is definitely one of the top 3 bars in Aberdeen.

Would have been number 1, but they put in a birds toilet.

PC gone mad that.

And thank goodness for that :)

Dal Riata Don, given you've listed yourself as being in Japan, have you given some of the Japanese whiskies a try? i have a couple of acquaintances who swear by them. supposed to be very smooth. just brought back a couple for my son (he likes them as well), some modestly priced ones that may be worth a try next time you're out:

http://www.whisky.fr/suntory-12-ans-hibiki.html

also comes in a 17 and 21 year, but the 12 is supposed to be quite nice.

http://www.whisky.fr/nikka-pure-malt-black-2324.html

• Upvote 1