Boyhood hero

Was an absolute gem of a player, a would rate as one of the best technically gifted players Aberdeen has ever had!,I think the reason he failed in England was the injury but the main reason was he was so slight!,English players and there foreign contingent were huge.

This was long before English football had the money to sign anyone from anywhere in the world though. The overall standard was nowhere near as high as it is now... and yet there's Bobby Snodgrass most weeks for West Ham

Was Eoin Jess as good as Robert Snodgrass??????????????

• Downvote 2

Schmeickel,Jenson,limpar,cantana, not exactly shrinking violets along with hard men like jones,pierce etc is what I meant, why compare snodgrass to Jess?, snodgrass was much broader than Jess!,have they not got shit players in big teams now, Man City-delph Man Utd-Jones, when was the English teams most successful in Europe by actually winning euro cups, was back then when the qaulity was apparently low?,strange that?, and as for Jess, he was a 100times better than snodgrass!, difference is that snodgrass has stayed fit without major injury, Jess didn’t

I think you had to really had to see Jess in the flesh to appreciate how good he was, it’s a shame for the younger one’s on here who didn’t.

It is fairly indicative that 100% (as far as I can see) folk on here rate him as one of the best talents they’ve ever seen.

Normally you will get somebody piping up that he was over rated. The fact there hasn’t been say’s it all I think.

• Upvote 1

Defo agree white goods!, had the pleasure a few times in the 90s and your right you had to see him live to really appreciate his talent.probably the same as willie miller as well but was just too young for that.i always get the sense that miller was phenomenal but had to be seen to be completely appreciated. Surely anybody saying Jess was overrated just simply doesn’t understand football!. I really feel for the fans that weren’t old enough to see him either, just like iam envious of the fans that were old enough to see Gothenburg live.jammy bastards

Just to confirm I rated Jess as my number 1 boyhood hero in my post

Just generating a debate. I compared him to Snodgrass because it seemed so ridiculous. 

The money and global reach in England is huge now compared to the 90s though. A lot more British players playing in the top flight in those days than now. But Jess still didn't make it.... HOW NAE

Noel Whelan was the man in that team...

Defo agree white goods!, had the pleasure a few times in the 90s and your right you had to see him live to really appreciate his talent.probably the same as willie miller as well but was just too young for that.i always get the sense that miller was phenomenal but had to be seen to be completely appreciated. Surely anybody saying Jess was overrated just simply doesn’t understand football!. I really feel for the fans that weren’t old enough to see him either, just like iam envious of the fans that were old enough to see Gothenburg live.jammy bastards

Its also fair to say we probably appreciate him more (more than say a Doug Bell or John McMaster type) because of his efforts when we were utter shite (at least relative to where we'd been, turns out we still had some depths post Jess to plumb).  Carried us through innumerable games.  The black and gold strip era seems to particularly stick in my mind for some reason. 

Just to confirm I rated Jess as my number 1 boyhood hero in my post

Just generating a debate. I compared him to Snodgrass because it seemed so ridiculous.

The money and global reach in England is huge now compared to the 90s though. A lot more British players playing in the top flight in those days than now. But Jess still didn't make it.... HOW NAE

Noel Whelan was the man in that team...

It is very strange especially back then when the flair,creative skill full type player that Jess was, wasn’t easily bought back then, they were few and far between in Britain and seemed to go for the giant, rugby type!,was it English racism towards a Scot?, was it the injury right enough?, was it the coaches just didn’t think it would work for him?, or was it his mentality ?, thinking he wasn’t good enough himself and only produced half his talent, could have also been homesickness?, some folks aren’t designed to move away from there birthplace? What a will say is, imagine we had a Jess coming through in the near future, a wonder what he would cost in this current market

Its also fair to say we probably appreciate him more (more than say a Doug Bell or John McMaster type) because of his efforts when we were utter shite (at least relative to where we'd been, turns out we still had some depths post Jess to plumb). Carried us through innumerable games. The black and gold strip era seems to particularly stick in my mind for some reason.

The A FAB one with the vertical lines running down it?

Yeah, funnily enough I remember being at Tannadice when we were wearing that strip on a New Year’s Day fixture. Jess scored in a 1-0 win.

We must have went top as I remember singing we’re gonna win the league and actually believing we would.

And correct it was unbelievable the shifts he used to put in the second spell when we were utter pish. He used to go all the way back to his own box to get the ball from the keeper as everyone else was too shit scared to take responsibility. Was almost a one man team at times.

And correct it was unbelievable the shifts he used to put in the second spell when we were utter pish. He used to go all the way back to his own box to get the ball from the keeper as everyone else was too shit scared to take responsibility. Was almost a one man team at times.

Yes, the entire midfield turning their backs on our throw ins because they weren’t interested in taking the ball was another favourite at that time.

Willie Miller was super smart. Never seemed to break sweat. Amazing reader of the game so never really had to run and hard (and I mean proper hard) as fuck. Would have been great to play beside. Always had his team mates backs for us and Scotland.

Sadly don’t make players like him anymore, seemed a consummate professional both in his football career and for the community he served!,having the balls to beat Bayern with the kaizer in the team over 2 legs in my opinion won’t be replicated anytime soon again by a Scottish team.must have had that ferguson mentality of don’t care who you are, or what you achieved so far, we’re going to come at yous and give yous absolute zero respect.only time I have seen that live really was through Jess!, having to play with the shower of shite around him as well,still showed he was shoulders above the rest

Guest the shepherd

Jess was 100 times the player Zeroulli was

Got to agree that Eoin Jess was a far better player than Hicham Zerouali, based on subjective fact and evidence (fuck all to do with the great one, not than you or Betty were insinuating that in relation to an inferrence put forward to you earlier). Zerouali's free-kick down at Love Street in January 2000 will rightfully, however, be celebrated as a masterpiece of a football artisan forever more.

Why are yous even mentioning Zerouali? 

Find it weird the amount of hatred he seems to have generated on here in recent times. Is it just because you dont like Millertime? There are no mention of Zero at all

Aye there is. Personally I mentioned him as it was in a prior post.

I merely concurred that Jess was at a different level to Zero.

Not sure why Zero was mentioned (in the same thread as Jess ;) ) initially.

Also a boy bit confused why Zero is getting a hard time here, he was nowhere near as good as Jess but compared to some of the utter utter shite we have had he is one of the last players who should be getting stick.

Nobody in recent times has been near to Jess’s level, at least despite being a bit lazy Zero demonstrated some moments of brilliant flair and skill.