Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

There's two benefits for me.

1. To give your fringe players and those returning from injury game time to keep/get them match fit

2. To develop your young players and give them experience so they are ready to step up when required

Every "first team" player should be expected to play for the reserves if their personal situation calls for it.

This team would appear to be doing both.

Last match day squad...6 of the bench playing today

@@graham @@Donnet, or any others who were at the game... care to give us a match report?  In particular how did Gleeson and Forrester look?

Gleeson looked tidy enough but unspectacular, cajoled his teammates and nipped away at the referee.

Forrester looked totally uninterested in the first half (playing left midfield). He moved into the centre of the park in the second half and looked more lively but I don't think he'll be in the first team any time soon on that showing. The thing is that when he has the ball he looks tidy in possession and has good feet but he needs to take off the handbrake and start putting in a shift.

Anderson looked reallly sharp. As soon as he gets the ball in the anywhere near the box he is looking to score. My worry would be that the way the first team play he would be starved of service or have to work off long balls which doesn't play to his strengths, unless the ball is over the top, for him to run on to - which is how he scored his first goal.

• Upvote 1

Gleeson looked tidy enough but unspectacular, cajoled his teammates and nipped away at the referee.

Forrester looked totally uninterested in the first half (playing left midfield). He moved into the centre of the park in the second half and looked more lively but I don't think he'll be in the first team any time soon on that showing. The thing is that when he has the ball he looks tidy in possession and has good feet but he needs to take off the handbrake and start putting in a shift.

Anderson looked reallly sharp. As soon as he gets the ball in the anywhere near the box he is looking to score. My worry would be that the way the first team play he would be starved of service or have to work off long balls which doesn't play to his strengths, unless the ball is over the top, for him to run on to - which is how he scored his first goal.

Thanks mate.

That's disappointing to hear regarding Forrester... but not unsurprising.  He looks like he's playing stoned whenever I've seen him.

Regarding Anderson, I'd have the same worry.  Going forward, because we don't have a link between the midfield and the attackers, we are relying on long balls, or something conjured up from GMS out wide... I'm not defending some of their poor performances, but our striker(s) do tend to become isolated.

Now then!!

This will be interesting! Great to see the likes of Gleeson and Forrester, given the opportunity to get 90 minutes under their belt. Long overdue. Or maybe the hidings we've taken this season have forced the clubs hand?

Bit harsh. They have taken one hiding this season, which was taken from a Kilmarnock side with literally 100's of first team games in them against what was in essence an Aberdeen under 18 side.

Bit harsh. They have taken one hiding this season, which was taken from a Kilmarnock side with literally 100's of first team games in them against what was in essence an Aberdeen under 18 side.

Fair enough! Was harsh in that case... 

I see Ruben Sammut was playing for Falkirk today.  Chelsea player, whos played for Scotland at just about all the age levels.  Did he look up to much?

Does anyone know if the Rangers reserve game is going ahead on 29 Oct?  This is now less than 24 hours after the two first teams play in the League Cup semi..

• 2 weeks later...