What was concerning was that apparently at the start of season meeting last yead the referees openly admittef that the look at the history of certain players to help them see what to look for.

If true (and if I have picked what was

said correctly), that is fucking insane and shows how ignorant the current refereeing system in scotland is.

Talk about setting yourself up for a bias.

Perhaps someone else who was there can confirm what was said as I can't quite believe what I heard, so much so that I'm doubting myself.

The only think that I heard that surprised me was when he said lots of people seem to think we will still be signing 4 or 5 more yet but we definitely wont and it will only be 2 hopefully. And when asked the areas he said a defender and an attacker. That really surprised me as I had thought we would be looking for another 4 minimum (Centre back, right back, Striker and a young left back on loan who could also play further forward) and had even hoped for 5 (an extra central midfielder with more physical presence). He did say maybe one or two will end up going out on loan so again although he didn't say as much from what he did say I thought the suggestion was that at most we might get a 3rd player in if that happened. KSL seems to think that he meant to permanent signings and we might get others in on loan so I may have misinterpreted or misheard what he said there.

Part of why it surprised me so much that he said we were only after 2 more was he had stated after the semi that our lack of squad cost us that game and again tonight in a later question he reiterated that point again saying that game had made it so obvious that our squad wasn't strong enough to deal with losing key players but surely we will be weaker still this year if we only get 2 more in. Hopefully as I say KSL is correct and Deek was only talking about permanent deals and I misheard.

Also, The fact he said it will only be 2 makes me think there is no way we would be offering 500-600k for the boy Marquis and it must have been considerably lower. I would be very surprised if anything happens with that move from what he said.

On the actual recruitment he just said the same as was reported in the other week that there was one or 2 deals where they were close to getting over the line but then hit the bar at the last moment. Obviously we don't have a budget to just go out and buy whoever we want or offer players huge wages like the ugly sister can do but extra support from schemes like DNA does help him to do the best we can.

They both spoke about how we have good youngsters coming through in the likes of Scott Wright, Frank Ross, Bruce Anderson, Dean Campbell, Connor Mclennan and Seb Ross but when they get a chance they have to be strong enough mentally and physically as well as have the natural ability if they are to force there way into the team and hold down a regular spot just like. Some will probably get further integrated in the first team and some more will be loaned out for experience.

With regards to Scott Wright he said he has been a bit inconsisitent but all wingers can be. I didn't hear him say that he had let himself down but thought he just said Scott knows he needs to do a bit more to manage nail down a spot and needs to take a leaf out of McKenna's book. And it was the same for other young players. Also said there had been a few chances to go out on loan but for various reason it hadn't happened as there was a couple of teams Scott didn't want to go to and other occasions where he couldn't get assurances that Scott would be guaranteed to play every week for the team he would go to

On the scouting he said the limited budget and lack of scouting system before they came in meant they had took the decision to focus on the British market at that time as it was less costly to put in place a good scouting system here that allows them to do the necessary level of scouting and background due diligence on players to minimize the risks. In the last year that have extended this into a few European countries which they have selected. He likes a British dressing room in the main but in the not too distant future expects they will use what they have now put in place in those other countries to bring in players who can offer something different than the uk market or just better value to supplement want we can get here.

What was concerning was that apparently at the start of season meeting last yead the referees openly admittef that the look at the history of certain players to help them see what to look for.

said correctly), that is fucking insane shows how ignorant the current refereeing system in scotland is.

Perhaps someone else who was there can confirm what was said as I can't quite believe what I heard, so much so that I'm doubting myself.

I'm not sure about that 100% to be honest. I thought they said they got the feeling that certain players get picked on and they had the suspicion that refs have been told to keep a close eye on certain players at certain points in the season and it was almost as if there card was marked before a game starts. I didn't pick up on them saying they were told that in the meeting with the refereeing officials before the season starts. but its very possible you are correct and I wasn't listening properly.

said correctly), that is fucking insane and shows how ignorant the current refereeing system in scotland is.

It confirmed to me there is a bias in scottish football.

McInnes made other slight reference to it in other statements in that he knows people/media etc are looking for aberdeen to fail.

How naive can you be?

The club have been able to afford equipment we couldn't previously. Can't see why there is a negative in that at all.

Ahem, you are on AFC Chat. Without negativity, the site is pointless.

It's littered with eternally depressed people. Nothing you say will make any difference to their negativity. They will say they are 'realists' but of course, a true realist must be completely unbiased.

I think he'd only say 2 players coming in to manage expectations. We clearly need more players and more depth. If it's only 2 and its the Left Back from Dundee and Marquis for a tonne of cash I'd be somewhat underwhelmed...

It's about managing your expectations.

We all know a wee bit about Jon from Dundee. For me he'd ne a solid addition to the squad, but i feel we need to prioritise the right hand side of the defence.

As for the striker, he could turn out to be the buy of the season at our level.

I'd just like to personally thank all the DNAers for donating their hard earned to give us this brilliant opportunity of having tracking devices. Without these, winning trophies would be impossible.

There's a surprise, you've managed to find something to have a whinge about.

We all know a wee bit about Jon from Dundee. For me he'd ne a solid addition to the squad, but i feel we need to prioritise the right hand side of the defence.

As for the striker, he could turn out to be the buy of the season at our level.

Presume that's what McInnes said when questioned. Told you.

McInnes very coy about that at the Q&A. Fair play to him for admitting that he's looking at him.

2 new signings as long as they're first teamers is fine. That would be three new midfielders, as well as Devlin. We're not in bad shape despite what some will lead you to believe, We desperately need goals though.

What does this mean.

We only bring in two more first teamers & we are effectively reducing (or matching at best) the 'first team' squad from what it was last season though & it was seriously lacking then when we had a couple of suspensions/injuries.

We have brought in A defender, three mids so far, one of which is just a young lad that may or may not be just 'one for the future' & a bit part player.

Out going was a defender & from midfield (defensive & attacking) was five players basically in O'Connor, Ball, Christie, Stewart & McLean. Not going to add the Man City failure but he was actually used to help with the fact the squad wasn't sufficient during a couple of absences.

You could maybe, just maybe, just about try & argue that those coming in equal what have left but just equaling what left is not enough, if even McInnes himself said that he didn't do enough last season in the transfer window.

Fair enough if we are signing players on FT deals rather than loans though to replace those that left from loans etc. but I do hope that he is still given space to add on one or two loans on top also.

I'm not panicking at all but Devlin's fitness could be a worry & even if we get in another right sided defender, we will still be pretty threadbare across the whole back four.

Zero more mids coming also means we are pretty stretched in there also if we lose just one player.

I hate saying this but in simplistic terms 2 more about replaces what we lost in numbers of not directly position by position.

Although that only works if you count McGinn, Devlin and Cosgrove as new signings and discount them as part of last season's starting squad.

Chidi we can discount as backfill for Tansey and Tansey himself we don't really know if he'll move on or come back into the fold.

That makes 7/8 going out

6 so far "in"

I hate saying this but in simplistic terms 2 more about replaces what we lost in numbers of not directly position by position.

Although that only works if you count McGinn, Devlin and Cosgrove as new signings and discount them as part of last season's starting squad.

Chidi we can discount as backfill for Tansey and Tansey himself we don't really know if he'll move on or come back into the fold.

That makes 7/8 going out

6 so far "in"

Why would we discount Cosgrove, McGinn & Chidi (& even Maynard) from part of last seasons squad when they all played a reasonably large part 'combined' in terms of time on the pitch from January.

We can't start coming out with the old JC 'They are like new signings' shite for Cosgrove & McGinn lol

That means we are bullshitting even ourselves before McInnes does it.

Are you seriously counting McGinn & Cosgrove as pert of the 6 in?

Ferguson replaces Chidi really.

• Downvote 1

Might be time to use some of the young lads more?

If that's the plan we should be involving them from the start of the season not waiting until we are forced to use them due to injury/suspension.

And by involved, more than 5 min sub appearances.

He hardly even used them when we were struggling with injuries/suspensions. I struggle to believe he is now going to start using them outwith emergencies all of a sudden.

Starting the league season (first three games) already with one basically carved in stone first teamer missing in Logan & two of those games are against two of our closest rivals lol

The only think that I heard that surprised me was when he said lots of people seem to think we will still be signing 4 or 5 more yet but we definitely wont and it will only be 2 hopefully. And when asked the areas he said a defender and an attacker. That really surprised me as I had thought we would be looking for another 4 minimum (Centre back, right back, Striker and a young left back on loan who could also play further forward) and had even hoped for 5 (an extra central midfielder with more physical presence). He did say maybe one or two will end up going out on loan so again although he didn't say as much from what he did say I thought the suggestion was that at most we might get a 3rd player in if that happened. KSL seems to think that he meant to permanent signings and we might get others in on loan so I may have misinterpreted or misheard what he said there.

Part of why it surprised me so much that he said we were only after 2 more was he had stated after the semi that our lack of squad cost us that game and again tonight in a later question he reiterated that point again saying that game had made it so obvious that our squad wasn't strong enough to deal with losing key players but surely we will be weaker still this year if we only get 2 more in. Hopefully as I say KSL is correct and Deek was only talking about permanent deals and I misheard.

Also, The fact he said it will only be 2 makes me think there is no way we would be offering 500-600k for the boy Marquis and it must have been considerably lower. I would be very surprised if anything happens with that move from what he said.

On the actual recruitment he just said the same as was reported in the other week that there was one or 2 deals where they were close to getting over the line but then hit the bar at the last moment. Obviously we don't have a budget to just go out and buy whoever we want or offer players huge wages like the ugly sister can do but extra support from schemes like DNA does help him to do the best we can.

They both spoke about how we have good youngsters coming through in the likes of Scott Wright, Frank Ross, Bruce Anderson, Dean Campbell, Connor Mclennan and Seb Ross but when they get a chance they have to be strong enough mentally and physically as well as have the natural ability if they are to force there way into the team and hold down a regular spot just like. Some will probably get further integrated in the first team and some more will be loaned out for experience.

With regards to Scott Wright he said he has been a bit inconsisitent but all wingers can be. I didn't hear him say that he had let himself down but thought he just said Scott knows he needs to do a bit more to manage nail down a spot and needs to take a leaf out of McKenna's book. And it was the same for other young players. Also said there had been a few chances to go out on loan but for various reason it hadn't happened as there was a couple of teams Scott didn't want to go to and other occasions where he couldn't get assurances that Scott would be guaranteed to play every week for the team he would go to

On the scouting he said the limited budget and lack of scouting system before they came in meant they had took the decision to focus on the British market at that time as it was less costly to put in place a good scouting system here that allows them to do the necessary level of scouting and background due diligence on players to minimize the risks. In the last year that have extended this into a few European countries which they have selected. He likes a British dressing room in the main but in the not too distant future expects they will use what they have now put in place in those other countries to bring in players who can offer something different than the uk market or just better value to supplement want we can get here.

Was anything mentioned about the change to the reserve teams instead of U20's helping the youngsters make the breakthrough?

This managing expectations phrase is complete horse shit if true - its loser mentality. Almost like saying ill try or hopefully, Ill do my best - horse shit. If I said that to my arsehole boss hed say stop, is it getting done or not. Time for Derek to MAKE it happen. His squad last season was lacking quality, depth and mentality. So far, hopefully, weve added some quality in Forrester, Gleeson and possibly Ferguson - but what about the depth and mentality? At the start of the window I would have defiantly prioritised a ball-winning hard bastard midfielder - someone to let our snowflakes play without fear - massive mistake not getting this in my opinion.

Why would we discount Cosgrove, McGinn & Chidi (& even Maynard) from part of last seasons squad when they all played a reasonably large part 'combined' in terms of time on the pitch from January.

We can't start coming out with the old JC 'They are like new signings' shite for Cosgrove & McGinn lol

That means we are bullshitting even ourselves before McInnes does it.

Are you seriously counting McGinn & Cosgrove as pert of the 6 in?

Ferguson replaces Chidi really.

I'm not, but I think the club might be.

I think McInnes is viewing McGinn, Devlin and Cosgrove that way yes because they weren't part of the squad at the start of last season. Devlin and Cosgrove were signed ahead of time really.

Look at the squad they started the season with - I fear that's the benchmark they will use.

I look at Chidi/Tansey as 1 squad place as basically Chidi replaced Tansey. For the moment Tansey is back with us. So we can forget Chidi in headcount terms.

What I picked up in terms of what he assessed needed to be done following the semi final was that he needed to sign players who would all effectively be first team starters.

Think he feels that he'll maybe use his resources to sign fewer players but of better quality.

I.e. Last season we spread our money across guys like Maynard, Arnason, Nwkali and Ball. We e might have been better using the resources to get 1 or 2 better players rather than spread it across those 4 who effectively contributed fuck all.

• Upvote 1

He hardly even used them when we were struggling with injuries/suspensions. I struggle to believe he is now going to start using them outwith emergencies all of a sudden.

Starting the league season (first three games) already with one basically carved in stone first teamer missing in Logan & two of those games are against two of our closest rivals lol

I struggle to believe it will happen as well - but I think we should be doing that.

This managing expectations phrase is complete horse shit if true - its loser mentality. Almost like saying ill try or hopefully, Ill do my best - horse shit. If I said that to my arsehole boss hed say stop, is it getting done or not. Time for Derek to MAKE it happen. His squad last season was lacking quality, depth and mentality. So far, hopefully, weve added some quality in Forrester, Gleeson and possibly Ferguson - but what about the depth and mentality? At the start of the window I would have defiantly prioritised a ball-winning hard bastard midfielder - someone to let our snowflakes play without fear - massive mistake not getting this in my opinion.

I'd agree but seems like they view Shinnie in that role and Considine as capable as at LB.

Really disappointing tbh. Someone like Mulumbu could allow Shinnie to go to LB and Considine to be cover across the back.

If they are tackling the squad rebuild the way I suspect then I think they really aren't thinking in terms of pushing on, progressing on previous seasons but more in terms of treading water.

I really hope they have more up their sleeve as I don't think a treading water kind of approach is going to get 2nd or a cup win this season.

Rangers squad looks okish although I'm not convinced Gerrard will be brilliant be cant be worse than Pedro or Murty surely.

Hibs are losing some key players but less than us and probably feels like they are adding a few decent players.

Hearts fuck knows they've just signed a whole new team worth of players so we'll see.