Scottish Cup 2019/20

On 11/3/2020 at 8:41 AM, Wester Hailes Skins said:

Ignoring the Diddy Cup, your last major honour was 3 decades ago. I'm not on to gloat, I actually think Scottish football needs a strong Hearts, Aberdeen, Utd, Motherwell and Hibs. And I'd have no objection to us all winning more, especially the Cups. 

But I'm rising to the bait. Hearts have won 3 Scottish cups in recent years. And we're now in back to back Scottish Cup finals. Going on about Fergie years is now like Hibs fans going on about 7 0 in 1973. Even the TV footage is grainy. 

Aberdeen are significant underachievers and have been for a long time. All of Scottish football knew your semi was a formality against a poor Celtic. Your club is nice, and soft. We were too under Budge / Levein but at least we challenge it and demand change. We want to be aggressive, winners, challengers, and our fans are pumping in £2m a year to try and help, whether we're successful or not. 

Something about Aberdeen reeks of, we're fine, we won the Cup Winners Cup you know. You cannae give it the big one on this thread, then jump to another about Sunday, Mcinnes, what's wrong, etc. 

30 years....??

I missed this part of this thread.

Bottom line is that in the last 30 years (1990 to 2020) Aberdeen and Hearts have won 3 major trophies apiece. Whereas I don't dispute that the Scottish Cup is more prestigious than the League Cup the undeniable fact is that both trophies are equally as hard to win because the only teams that can actually win either trophy compete in both cups and clearly want to win both of them. This means it is not a Diddy Cup. A Diddy Cup is one that the top teams don't take part  in (like say The Challenge Cup) or play reserve teams in. That never happens Celtic and Rangers go all out to win every trophy domestically look at their records in both cups over the years they dominate both. Their fierce rivalry means both go flat out to win every domestic trophy going. 

In the last 30 years the old firm have won 21 of the League Cups and 20 of the Scottish Cups played. The stats back up that they go all out to win both cups every season.  

Given the choice you'd always take a Scottish Cup win over one in the League Cup as it is more prestigious due to how old and famous the tournament is but in Scotland both domestic cups are equally as hard to win that has been proven over the years with general old firm dominance in both. As always in cups a lot is down to the luck of the draw. Clubs like Aberdeen and Hearts just don't win enough trophies to be able to label any of the two domestic cups "diddy".  It's just a silly phrase from people who either clearly don't fully understand how the domestic game in Scotland works or are just on the wind up.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shinniesta said:

I missed this part of this thread.

Bottom line is that in the last 30 years (1990 to 2020) Aberdeen and Hearts have won 3 major trophies apiece. Whereas I don't dispute that the Scottish Cup is more prestigious than the League Cup the undeniable fact is that both trophies are equally as hard to win because the only teams that can actually win either trophy compete in both cups and clearly want to win both of them. This means it is not a Diddy Cup. A Diddy Cup is one that the top teams don't take part  in (like say The Challenge Cup) or play reserve teams in. That never happens Celtic and Rangers go all out to win every trophy domestically look at their records in both cups over the years they dominate both. Their fierce rivalry means both go flat out to win every domestic trophy going. 

In the last 30 years the old firm have won 21 of the League Cups and 20 of the Scottish Cups played. The stats back up that they go all out to win both cups every season.  

Given the choice you'd always take a Scottish Cup win over one in the League Cup as it is more prestigious due to how old and famous the tournament is but in Scotland both domestic cups are equally as hard to win that has been proven over the years with general old firm dominance in both. As always in cups a lot is down to the luck of the draw. Clubs like Aberdeen and Hearts just don't win enough trophies to be able to label any of the two domestic cups "diddy".  It's just a silly phrase from people who either clearly don't fully understand how the domestic game in Scotland works or are just on the wind up.

The reputation of the League Cup suffered when they took away the European place that came with winning it. 

30 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

The reputation of the League Cup suffered when they took away the European place that came with winning it. 

It definitely did and it is less prestigious than the Scottish Cup. But when you have the old firm equally as determined to win every single domestic trophy it is just as hard for non old firm clubs to win as the stats from the last 30 years back up. One of my favourite cup wins was the League Cup in 1989 when we beat Souness' huns 2-1. 

1 hour ago, NEM said:

"Aberdeen are significant underachievers and have been for a long time"

Bit rich coming from a fan of a club who spend half their life in the lower divisions.  Tinpot!

Aye if we’re underachievers then god knows how you’d describe Hearts this past decade.

I’d probably go with shite.

The truth is Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs have all underachieved. All 3 clubs realistically should have done better in the cups. Hibs went over 100 years without winning the SC. We really should have won the SC in both 08 and 14 but royally fucked it up both times the huns were absolutely dead on their feet in 08 after their run to the UEFA Cup Final. The two semis we fucked up against QOTS and St Johnstone still piss me off to this day. Hearts have only won 3 major trophies in the last 57 years which is a shocking stat for a club claiming to be the 3rd biggest in the country. We ourselves have only won 3 in the last 30 years which again is shocking.

All 3 clubs have underachieved considering they are the supposed main challengers to the old firm in terms of club size. We all know that the old firm win the majority of the major domestic cups (they have won 2/3rds of them in the last 30 years) and barring a minor miracle they will always win the league but there's no doubt Aberdeen and the two Edinburgh clubs should have done far better in the domestic cups.

• Upvote 1