Ghosts

Fridge

Conservative estimate I've seen about 2500 people in their dying hours and was with maybe 100 of them as they actually died.

As they approached death, I can certainly say that at least half were seeing (and interacting with) "people" that we couldn't see. And I include my own grandmother in this who was talking to her own grandmother.

There could be a rational explanation for this medically as opposed to them seeing "ghosts". The dying brain is slowly being starved of oxygen and this can induce a hallucinogenic state. Others theorise that it's a physiological process where the brain is producing "nice" images of past times to make an otherwise frightening process more pleasant to endure as death nears.

However

I also had a colleague who had terminal cancer about 30 years ago. She worked up to about 4 months before she died (in her mid fifties). She knew she was terminal and joked she'd come back to haunt us. After she died, there were a few patients also terminally ill but not yet in the final stages so still perfectly lucid. They asked who the new nurse was that had spoken to them earlier as she was really good. Each time there were no new nurses so we asked them to describe her.......they all said she was wearing a white dress with green epaulettes (by this time nursing staff were wearing various shades of blue as their uniform, usually paired with navy trousers). White with green epaulettes was the uniform that state enrolled nurses wore at the time of my colleague's death. When asked to describe this nurse's looks they said she was a very small, plump middle aged woman with  a short grey hair hairstyle. This was the exact description of her too. 

I had never seen a ghost myself up until I was a night charge nurse. About 4am in the morning, sitting at the nurses station I was doing some paperwork whilst things were quiet. My junior staff nurse was on her break so only me and an auxiliary nurse were left on the ward, she was facing down the ward and i was at 90 degrees to her . Suddenly out the corner of my eye i saw a nurse wearing a white dress "float" across the corridor from the sluice into a store cupboard. I near shit myself. However when i turned to ask the auxiliary if she had seen it, before I could even speak she asked if I'd just seen a nurse in white. She was facing it straight on. Poor woman was white as a ghost herself and shaking. She had started with us long after my colleague's death and never known her but yet again gave the exact same description. 

About 18 months later, again on night shift, there had been a death of a patient half an hour before the shift started. When we came on, it is the busiest point of the evening as patients get settled down for the night and get their night medications so it was well after midnight before we had time to perform last offices on the dead patient and move them to the mortuary. Once we had done this all 3 staff were cleaning the now empty side room and making the bed etc . Once again I.......and the other 2 colleagues....both saw a nurse dressed in white go past the open door heading in the direction of the ward fire exit. There were only 2 rooms they could have alternatively entered and all 3 of us immediately exited into the corridor. No one was leaving via the fire exit and both the end side room an linen cupboard opposite were empty. 

I was always sceptical and preferred the logical explanation i mentioned at the start but since I saw these 2 incidents, I'm now firmly in the believing in ghosts camp. I just cannot logically explain what I witnessed otherwise.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Nah, enjoyed that story @Ten Caat . I've always wondered why ghosts would necessarily be 'spooky' and go ' Whoooooooooooo' instead of being pleasant phenomena. Same with aliens. They are always portrayed as being super intelligent when they could be utter dipshits. 

Although you could argue that the dipshit aliens would never have the brain capacity to build a spaceship and that's why we will never encounter them. 

5 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

What is this seriously strange shit that you speak of?

Maybe the hat can help exorcise your demons. 

France once woke up and I am convinced I was pished but there was a lassie standing in front of me 

But there are all sorts of weird shit that can’t possibly be explained in my house and again my rational head say’s it is complete nonsense but I do have a nagging doubt that they are kicking about

As longs they leave me in peace, I’m happy 

27 minutes ago, Fridge said:

France once woke up and I am convinced I was pished but there was a lassie standing in front of me 

But there are all sorts of weird shit that can’t possibly be explained in my house and again my rational head say’s it is complete nonsense but I do have a nagging doubt that they are kicking about

As longs they leave me in peace, I’m happy 

Yes, well that makes sense min.

Well explained ?

10 hours ago, Ten Caat said:

Conservative estimate I've seen about 2500 people in their dying hours and was with maybe 100 of them as they actually died.

As they approached death, I can certainly say that at least half were seeing (and interacting with) "people" that we couldn't see. And I include my own grandmother in this who was talking to her own grandmother.

There could be a rational explanation for this medically as opposed to them seeing "ghosts". The dying brain is slowly being starved of oxygen and this can induce a hallucinogenic state. Others theorise that it's a physiological process where the brain is producing "nice" images of past times to make an otherwise frightening process more pleasant to endure as death nears.

However

I also had a colleague who had terminal cancer about 30 years ago. She worked up to about 4 months before she died (in her mid fifties). She knew she was terminal and joked she'd come back to haunt us. After she died, there were a few patients also terminally ill but not yet in the final stages so still perfectly lucid. They asked who the new nurse was that had spoken to them earlier as she was really good. Each time there were no new nurses so we asked them to describe her.......they all said she was wearing a white dress with green epaulettes (by this time nursing staff were wearing various shades of blue as their uniform, usually paired with navy trousers). White with green epaulettes was the uniform that state enrolled nurses wore at the time of my colleague's death. When asked to describe this nurse's looks they said she was a very small, plump middle aged woman with  a short grey hair hairstyle. This was the exact description of her too. 

I had never seen a ghost myself up until I was a night charge nurse. About 4am in the morning, sitting at the nurses station I was doing some paperwork whilst things were quiet. My junior staff nurse was on her break so only me and an auxiliary nurse were left on the ward, she was facing down the ward and i was at 90 degrees to her . Suddenly out the corner of my eye i saw a nurse wearing a white dress "float" across the corridor from the sluice into a store cupboard. I near shit myself. However when i turned to ask the auxiliary if she had seen it, before I could even speak she asked if I'd just seen a nurse in white. She was facing it straight on. Poor woman was white as a ghost herself and shaking. She had started with us long after my colleague's death and never known her but yet again gave the exact same description. 

About 18 months later, again on night shift, there had been a death of a patient half an hour before the shift started. When we came on, it is the busiest point of the evening as patients get settled down for the night and get their night medications so it was well after midnight before we had time to perform last offices on the dead patient and move them to the mortuary. Once we had done this all 3 staff were cleaning the now empty side room and making the bed etc . Once again I.......and the other 2 colleagues....both saw a nurse dressed in white go past the open door heading in the direction of the ward fire exit. There were only 2 rooms they could have alternatively entered and all 3 of us immediately exited into the corridor. No one was leaving via the fire exit and both the end side room an linen cupboard opposite were empty. 

I was always sceptical and preferred the logical explanation i mentioned at the start but since I saw these 2 incidents, I'm now firmly in the believing in ghosts camp. I just cannot logically explain what I witnessed otherwise.

Good stories. How do you make sense of it?