Where Are They Now

25 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

McLean was generally a good player for us but ever think he should have done a lot better? Used to go missing a hoorin amount

I always thought he started the season slowly then got better as the months went on. 

But when McLean was on form he made the whole team better.  Was definitely under appreciated a lot of the time. 

Just now, aberdeen1970 said:

I always thought he started the season slowly then got better as the months went on. 

But when McLean was on form he made the whole team better.  Was definitely under appreciated a lot of the time. 

Under appreciated 100%. All the folk that used to moan about him every week absolutely champion him nowadays as well. Truth is he was somewhere in between while in a red shirt, most of the time.

8 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Under appreciated 100%. All the folk that used to moan about him every week absolutely champion him nowadays as well. Truth is he was somewhere in between while in a red shirt, most of the time.

In some regards I think we missed McLean more than any of the players we lost along the way. 

When he left we lost the capability to keep possession and play through the lines. He took responsibility for getting the ball off the defence and getting play started and had the passing range to link play wide and with the attack. 

Everything went markedly downhill from a technical perspective once he left and we became really basic and predictable really quickly. 

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

In some regards I think we missed McLean more than any of the players we lost along the way. 

When he left we lost the capability to keep possession and play through the lines. He took responsibility for getting the ball off the defence and getting play started and had the passing range to link play wide and with the attack. 

Everything went markedly downhill from a technical perspective once he left and we became really basic and predictable really quickly. 

Very true. In fact didn't we finish 2nd every single season he was in midfield? 3rd the season before and 4th the 2 after he left.

24 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Not atypical of a McInnes signing though.  Was bought (I think) as a number 10, certainly to bring a goal threat from midfield.  Ended up deep deep deep in our own half holding Jacks hand taking the ball off him and playing the ball forward to our now static front line.  A more than decent round peg in an unnecessarily square hole in my opinion.  

Round peg in a square hole but he still plays that role for Norwich and Scotland? Far better in the deep lying position in my opinion. Especially when Christie was in the 10.... what a luxury 

4 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Round peg in a square hole but he still plays that role for Norwich and Scotland? Far better in the deep lying position in my opinion. Especially when Christie was in the 10.... what a luxury 

Played near enough up front for St.Mirren and was there top goalscorer when he signed for us? Jack of all trades. One of very few success stories post Aberdeen under McInnes.

Very much missed.

13 hours ago, RAZOR said:

Played near enough up front for St.Mirren and was there top goalscorer when he signed for us? Jack of all trades. One of very few success stories post Aberdeen under McInnes.

Very much missed.

For sure

McLean and Shinnie easily the biggest misses. Yet neither were here when we actually won something... shame. Nothing to show for their work while Alan Tate walks around naked wearing nothing but a 2014 league cup winners medal every day

4 minutes ago, BitWait said:

GMS having a horror show for Hertz v QOS. We dodged a bullet on that one , pity we could not say the same re Hayes and McGinn. Lazy expensive signings by McInnes , hopefully new regime looks to give younger players a chance. 

Brilliant player when he was on his game... which was never often enough. 

Even the Yankee Doodles figured that out, and they're suckers for a highlights reel.