Would be gutted if we lost him. Guessing he'd be able to earn about 5 times his current wage with a move to a championship team like Villa and being from down south you could understand him considering a move there with a point to prove.

As for price, high time we started getting the sort of fees hibs and even the huns get for overrated youngsters and unwanted dross respectively. 2 and a half years left on his contract by time January comes and even 2 years next summer and at the age of 30 (young'ish for a GK usually), we should be in a strong negotiating position to get at least a couple of million should he ask to leave.

No matter how much we got, replacing him would be quite a job. No point listing names unless something comes of it. Guessing Rogers won't be good enough given he got dropped second half of the season at Falkirk last year

Gordon may have been younger but the financial situation in English football is very different to 10 years ago. And have a look at what 10m actually buys you in England now. Worse players than Joe, I imagine you'd agree? Maybe not. I don't really know what difference age plays anyway as Joe could sign a 4 year contract at a Villa and he's still plenty young enough that Villa would get his best years out of him.

Maybe I am getting over excited to say 8/10m but I don't see why we should whip off our panties at the any offer either just because it's seven figures and we're not used to it.

But we are not in England and sadly wouldn't turn our noses up at a 3 million offer.

A bit surprised anyone from down south is looking at him actually. He was down there for years, played for the England youth teams right up through the ranks, he was never an unknown quality down there and still nobody decent took any interest in him

£8m is ridiculous though. Half that is where we should be starting with the hope of settling nearer £2.5-£3m i'd say. I say hope, I don't want to sell him but can we really say turning down that kind of money for a player we got on a free is bad business?

Any stupid low ball offers like Cardiff's for Hayes and we should be telling them to just piss off.

• Downvote 1

A bit surprised anyone from down south is looking at him actually. He was down there for years, played for the England youth teams right up through the ranks, he was never an unknown quality down there and still nobody decent took any interest in him

£8m is ridiculous though. Half that is where we should be starting with the hope of settling nearer £2.5-£3m i'd say. I say hope, I don't want to sell him but can we really say turning down that kind of money for a player we got on a free is bad business?

Any stupid low ball offers like Cardiff's for Hayes and we should be telling them to just piss off.

Yes and No.

I'll just leave this here

I'll just leave this here

Its exactly who I thought of, when people were throwing numbers about.

Our problem is that we sell ourselves short with player sales. At times it seems like we are almost grateful to sell and so we don't play hardball with teams. We also fail to get a bit of hype going, in the way the defunct club "rangers" used the media to create interest and inflate values.

I know what you mean, but The Shoulders was dropped by Ayr last season.. .

Good point. Not seen that much of him but presumed he was getting on fine at Falkirk given that they loaned him for a second season. Could ask people who have seen enough of him to comment on whether they think he's likely to make it. However, would the same crowd have said that McKenna wasn't ready based on his loan spells?

The money down in that league is mental, we are not a club that should be bullied into lowering our transfer value of any player if this interest is indeed genuine.

It was pleasing to see our stance with Cardiff in January, which I'm sure was nothing to do with Milne and more the managers doing.

I'm in the £8 mill club for Joe, nowadays £4 mill is an average transfer fee down there for average players.

Joe Lewis is well above average.

Lol

By that logic the likes teams celtic bought wanyama from would charge 4 times

All that happens then is the whole market goes up again

4m for Lewis would be doing brilliantly

What a pile of shit as usual,

The current market is crazy down there, current being the main word in this,

What the fuck has Celtic and Wanyama got to do with Aberdeen, Aston Villa and Joe Lewis,

The money down in that league is mental, we are not a club that should be bullied into lowering our transfer value of any player if this interest is indeed genuine.

It was pleasing to see our stance with Cardiff in January, which I'm sure was nothing to do with Milne and more the managers doing.

I'm in the £8 mill club for Joe, nowadays £4 mill is an average transfer fee down there for average players.

Joe Lewis is well above average.

I'm sure everyone would rather get 8 million but it won't happen. Won't even get 4. It all depends on what the club selling the player can afford. i.e.

Queens Park couldn't say no to a tenner for Andy Robertson

Dundee United couldn't say no to 2.85 million for Andy Robertson

Hull couldn't say no to 8 million for Andy Robertson

Which bracket would we fall into?

I'm sure everyone would rather get 8 million but it won't happen. Won't even get 4. It all depends on what the club selling the player can afford. i.e.

We are a bigger club than all three combined so I'm going to say we should realistically ask for 15m for Lewis.

• Upvote 3

Of course it all depends on how much a club wants him or if they just see him as a potential cheap/bargain signing.

But unlike with Scottish clubs selling players with no pedigree outside the Scottish leagues, Lewis has a proven pedigree and was close to a full call up with the Nigels at one point. So there's an argument we should look for the same sort of fee a good ECL club would expect - we just need to have the balls to make a stand and stick to it.

Its not that long ago EPL clubs were looking at the rejuvenated Craig Gordon. Lewis is absolutely as good as Gordon.

EDIT: doesn't matter anyway as the "interest" is just paper talk.

Joe Lewis has been down south playing and never got very far really. I don't think he would fancy Villa they are shite , He's up here enjoying it, playing well and is well thought of. He is a star in our league, go down there never to be heard of again, no cup finals etc...Hopefully he is happy to stay..

if not starting figure has to be 5m to accept around 3.5-4m

Unfortunately I think there will likely be a release clause/figure installed in his new deal. Hopefully it's a couple of mil but if no release clause, we should just tell them to fk off regardless of what they offer, at least their first two offers & make them realise we're not soft.

Say we beat Celtic next week & are still top of league in January, we can realistically ask what we want for Lewis & if a second or third team were also to show an interest then it could quite easily get to ridiculous figures.

Joe Lewis ( as we all know) is a top class keeper & at 30 year old still as up to 10 years left at the top of his game.

Basically if no release clause in his contract. Tell Villa to fuck off cos we are winning the league with Joe & whilst that is maybe not going to directly earn us much more than a couple of mil. It is worth a fuck load more long term.