The Mckenna Dilemma

36 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think he's clearly a very good defender for our level. Most Aberdeen fans have just been bitter towards him since it was clear he wanted to head off, similar to how everyone convinced themselves Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean were shite as soon as they wanted to go. 

I have just never thought of him as a £5-10 million player. He looks terrible for Scotland... but so does everyone

Price is meaningless really... but he'll be worth 5-10 million as soon as goes down there.  Oli McBurnie is one of the worst players I've seen wearing a Scotland jersey in recent years.  Someone paid about 25M for him recently.

3 minutes ago, Sonoftherock said:

Price is meaningless really... but he'll be worth 5-10 million as soon as goes down there.  Oli McBurnie is one of the worst players I've seen wearing a Scotland jersey in recent years.  Someone paid about 25M for him recently.

Think it was £20million. But exactly the same team that paid £15million for Oliver Burke just over a week back...

And co-incidentally the same team that paid £10milion in a double deal for Derby's full-backs...…..one of whom was Max Lowe

37 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

I’m not bitter, beyond the grumbling sweetie paper rustling stage, about the wanting away thing.  But to “move” within hours Of (was it) Rijeka last year and the same shit now is just a tad frustrating.

Agree with others that if it’s decent money at all we were right not to play him but you can’t argue the impact was fairly telling, with our biggest game since Sociedad still to come.

Pedantic here.... but really? You think Aberdeen v Real Sociedad is the biggest game we have played in the last 6 years??

50 minutes ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Pedantic here.... but really? You think Aberdeen v Real Sociedad is the biggest game we have played in the last 6 years??

Celtic Scottish Cup final clearly takes that spot. 

Anyway, McKenna has been excellent so far this season - we wouldn't have lost 3-0 yesterday if he had played. The team was a disorganised mess at the back. 

Think he can do better than Forest. Despite them narrowly missing (bottled it) the play offs last season, they're pretty rotten. 

3 minutes ago, ericblack4boss said:

Id have thought even if the foredt manager is dunted the move will still he on, usually these clubs transfers are done by committee now or director of football, 

And any potential new manager will have been consulted 

Yes Mcinnes will take him when he goes to forrest hopefully.

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

I think he's clearly a very good defender for our level. Most Aberdeen fans have just been bitter towards him since it was clear he wanted to head off, similar to how everyone convinced themselves Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean were shite as soon as they wanted to go. 

I have just never thought of him as a £5-10 million player. He looks terrible for Scotland... but so does everyone

Some of us disliked that snake (purely on hyped abilities) long before any Hun links.

I was disgusted at the pathetic one year contract as captain begging him to stay after BS Everton/Napoli links.

over rated shite bag. Thinks he’s Barry (the 5 yard pass) Ferguson 

ooh look at his pass completion rate ?

like saying is kick rate is great as every fkn one was a side foot tap letting others take possession loss responsibility 

he was perfect for Mcinnes though 

2 hours ago, Byrne Baby Byrne said:

Sorry, worded that badly and I take your point re the Celtic final.  I was really meaning in terms of immediate cash impact.  Get to the groups and pocket £3m minimum and potentially affect the coefficient which makes it that much easier to repeat.  Beat Celtic in the final and will we continue to go toe to toe with the cheeks?  Or will we just lose half our victorious squad and be back to scratch again (and still be third).  

1 minute ago, True_Don said:

MCInnes saying Hoban and Mcrorie brought in to cover expected McKenna departure....jeezo...Hoban injury prone and McCrorie is best used centre mid...

Need a CB replacement asap!

I saw that, very disturbing to say the least.

One is a midfielder and the other one is out of contract in three months and can sign for anyone now.

If we don't replace him with a competent centre-back our season could descend into farce.

50 minutes ago, CityCentre said:

I saw that, very disturbing to say the least.

One is a midfielder and the other one is out of contract in three months and can sign for anyone now.

If we don't replace him with a competent centre-back our season could descend into farce.

I keep coming back to Findlay. He's now got 9 months left on his contract at Killie, he's left sided so would be a like for like replacement and he's been involved with the Scotland set-up quite recently. Problem is...Killie would likely want (a pure guess) around £400-500k to let him go.....maybe even a touch more as they know that we have just pulled in £3million for McKenna.

In normal times, I'm sure Cormack would authorise this immediately, given that we would be roughly £2.5million up on the deal, and Findlay's wages would at worst be the same level as McKenna. But covid has fucked up our finances, we've already brought in players essentially on the never never so it isn't going to happen for now.

What we do know is that Devlin, Taylor and Considine are all out of contract next summer. And Hoban of course in January. I'm sure we will take up the year's option on Consi. Taylor might have got an extension but yesterday's performance will have ensured that it won't happen now...McInnes and Cormack know the fans would be in revolt if he did. Devlin is gone as well. So there's 3 centre-backs now needing replaced. Hoban might well get an extension and on form he definitely should. But he's a big risk for obvious reasons. And if he continues his good form up here, an EFL 1 club in the south east of England could become interested...they'd be able to pay him the same as we can but he wouldn't have to uproot his young family 500 miles north. I think he appreciates what we have done for him rehab wise so on balance we probably are in pole position for his services. But we still need at minimum one more central defender. So Findlay on a pre-contract in January seems the obvious choice. Killie might want a fee in rather than lose him for nothing, but by then his value I'd imagine is down to about £150k or so. And at that point lower level English Championship clubs or top end EFL1 clubs might well think he's a virtual no risk investment. I just hope we are all over his agent right now letting him know of our interest.

58 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Sorry, worded that badly and I take your point re the Celtic final.  I was really meaning in terms of immediate cash impact.  Get to the groups and pocket £3m minimum and potentially affect the coefficient which makes it that much easier to repeat.  Beat Celtic in the final and will we continue to go toe to toe with the cheeks?  Or will we just lose half our victorious squad and be back to scratch again (and still be third).  

The Sociedad game wasn't even a play off, they got bent over in the next round by Kuban Krasnodar. 

27 minutes ago, Ten Caat said:

I keep coming back to Findlay. He's now got 9 months left on his contract at Killie, he's left sided so would be a like for like replacement and he's been involved with the Scotland set-up quite recently. Problem is...Killie would likely want (a pure guess) around £400-500k to let him go.....maybe even a touch more as they know that we have just pulled in £3million for McKenna.

In normal times, I'm sure Cormack would authorise this immediately, given that we would be roughly £2.5million up on the deal, and Findlay's wages would at worst be the same level as McKenna. But covid has fucked up our finances, we've already brought in players essentially on the never never so it isn't going to happen for now.

What we do know is that Devlin, Taylor and Considine are all out of contract next summer. And Hoban of course in January. I'm sure we will take up the year's option on Consi. Taylor might have got an extension but yesterday's performance will have ensured that it won't happen now...McInnes and Cormack know the fans would be in revolt if he did. Devlin is gone as well. So there's 3 centre-backs now needing replaced. Hoban might well get an extension and on form he definitely should. But he's a big risk for obvious reasons. And if he continues his good form up here, an EFL 1 club in the south east of England could become interested...they'd be able to pay him the same as we can but he wouldn't have to uproot his young family 500 miles north. I think he appreciates what we have done for him rehab wise so on balance we probably are in pole position for his services. But we still need at minimum one more central defender. So Findlay on a pre-contract in January seems the obvious choice. Killie might want a fee in rather than lose him for nothing, but by then his value I'd imagine is down to about £150k or so. And at that point lower level English Championship clubs or top end EFL1 clubs might well think he's a virtual no risk investment. I just hope we are all over his agent right now letting him know of our interest.

We would certainly not be paying a chunky fee this window but a wee £175k Kenny McLean type deal on deadline day might not be impossible if McInnes can make a case.

I think its more likely a loan Oct-Jan and ready to pounce on someone in January.

We should be getting Tommie Hoban extended by 18 months in the October break if he shows up well in the next three.

I'd like to think Hoban will stay with us for another year or so to get his career back on track. He's not obliged, or owes us anything, but would be nice for him to stick around after we've been good to him in the last year or so. 

Taylor being hooked at HT was pretty telling. It's not often a CB get's hooked at HT unless he's either injured or had a nightmare, and I don't think he was injured. 

8 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

We would certainly not be paying a chunky fee this window but a wee £175k Kenny McLean type deal on deadline day might not be impossible if McInnes can make a case.

I think its more likely a loan Oct-Jan and ready to pounce on someone in January.

We should be getting Tommie Hoban extended by 18 months in the October break if he shows up well in the next three.

We cannot be relying on Devlin or Taylor replacing McKenna.

McInnes may have to try & sweet talk Cormack in to signing a good replacement (even if it’s a season long loan) unless he wants a promising start to fritter away due to games like yesterday. 

11 minutes ago, Tord31 said:

Maybe a loan with a commitment to buy similar to McCrorie 

44 minutes ago, StandFree1982 said:

I'd like to think Hoban will stay with us for another year or so to get his career back on track. He's not obliged, or owes us anything, but would be nice for him to stick around after we've been good to him in the last year or so. 

Taylor being hooked at HT was pretty telling. It's not often a CB get's hooked at HT unless he's either injured or had a nightmare, and I don't think he was injured. 

I would say he owes us a wee bit considering we've provided his rehab and training for free whilst he was injured. 

24 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Even if Hoban stays for the entirety of this season that would be a start. 

We're going to be completely rebuilding our defence next summer as the only defender with a guaranteed contract beyond then is Hernandez.  We're going to need 6 or 7 new defenders..... Scary stuff 

With that in mind Findlay and Leigh would be good start now