Dominic Ball

Plus side -

1. We're signing players that we know quite a bit about and aren't completely shite
  2. We're getting players in early
  3. Ball was brilliant in spells, but also shite in others. Same with Taylor. 
  4. Ball, Taylor and Main can't be on massive wages, which should make room for more players coming in

Negatives

1. None of our signings so far will excite the fans and bring them back to Pittodrie. Hedges, i'm on the fence about until i've seen him. But the other three? MEH
  2. None of the three of Ball, Taylor and Main really improves us. It's more "squad" players than anything else but I assume Taylor and Main will end up being starters.
  3. We BETTER be looking at a better CM than Ball to battle it out in midfield. 

However we judge McInnes after the window has closed (with a very slight nod towards the start of Europa and start of SPFL season) so i'll save any long rant for then.

Thumbs down to squad fillers for me though.

We need to freshen things up with a few first pick players - we need the dough for those players

Maybe we have to be realistic but I never like us to sign players as 'squad' players. We should be signing people we think are good enough to be starting 11 players and the players who end up on the bench are just the players who are being kept out the side by the form of other players. We shouldn't be signing people we know aren't good enough specifically to sit on the bench.

Maybe I'm not being realistic there and at our level we need to have Dom Balls who will never start if everyone is fit but can come in a 'do a job' in a few different positions.

Saying a player can 'do a job' never sounds good. He's not great but he can do a job. Makes them sound very mediocre.

Having said all this, Dom Ball actually has looked more than decent in patches. End of the 17/18 in midfield and occasionally when Shay was out.

Ball is a good midfielder and should be left to play there.

This is true. His best games were in a centre mid role where he wasn’t expected to make a killer final pass. Much like flood in his first season.

Everyone bemoaned the lack of depth late in the season just gone so now McInnes is signing extra bodies that are not necessarily starters when everyone is fit. The result is the same though, folk greeting and moaning.

• Downvote 1

Don’t see the need for two first pick midfielders?

Surely we go with ferguson plus two of our wide players. Assuming we want Main up front pressing alongside Cosgrove that leaves one does it not? Essentially it’s a ball playing cunt a la Rico we need.

Depends on how high we’re playing our currently non existent left back of course.

Last summer we had the following to play centre mid: Shinnie, Ferguson, Ball, Forrester, Gleeson, Hoban, Tansey and Campbell

Since then Ferguson has vastly improved, Campbell is a year older and Gleeson has been written off

Now we have

Ferguson, Gleeson and Campbell

We need two so that we have the option to play 3 in there and to cover for injuries.

Gleeson will most likely leave this summer and Campbell should be bled in to the team to be full time by the end of the season (so therefore would not be against a loan or old player for one of the two signings).

If we only sign one and the new player or Ferguson are out injured we are in a desperate position

Based on his previous CV we'll manage to punt him out on loan in August to League One, League Two or National League

Never to be seen again.

Need to get the majority of our business done first though

Gleeson, Forrester and Tansey - some of the worst fuck ups in our history (given the dosh/week). 20 starts between them maybe?

Aye he's a footballer for sure. Shame he cant run and DM doesnt fancy him

He's good at what he does - unfortunately, mcinnes doesnt seem to fancy that. If he had scouted him properly, he would have known what kind of player Gleeson was and not wasted a significant wage on him. 

He's good at what he does - unfortunately, mcinnes doesnt seem to fancy that. If he had scouted him properly, he would have known what kind of player Gleeson was and not wasted a significant wage on him.

unfortunately we spent the whole of last year chasing McGeouch so we had no time/resource to chase/negotiate other plans

Last summer we had the following to play centre mid: Shinnie, Ferguson, Ball, Forrester, Gleeson, Hoban, Tansey and Campbell

Since then Ferguson has vastly improved, Campbell is a year older and Gleeson has been written off

Now we have

Ferguson, Gleeson and Campbell

We need two so that we have the option to play 3 in there and to cover for injuries.

Gleeson will most likely leave this summer and Campbell should be bled in to the team to be full time by the end of the season (so therefore would not be against a loan or old player for one of the two signings).

If we only sign one and the new player or Ferguson are out injured we are in a desperate position

Where's your evidence that Gleeson will likely leave? To do so he'd either need to be paid off by the club a la Forrester ( won't be doing that twice in 6 months) or find a club elsewhere that wants him (unlikely in Scotland/England given he's been root. Possibly in Ireland but with us picking up a massive percentage of his wages).

I think we are stuck with him

Where's your evidence that Gleeson will likely leave? To do so he'd either need to be paid off by the club a la Forrester ( won't be doing that twice in 6 months) or find a club elsewhere that wants him (unlikely in Scotland/England given he's been root. Possibly in Ireland but with us picking up a massive percentage of his wages).

I think we are stuck with him

The evidence is DM doesnt fancy him.

The evidence is DM normally solves these 'problems' sooner rather than later.

Same as May though he'll certainly be staying if there is no upside to him leaving