How many people will attend your funeral?

Guest milne_afc

Tempted to go the full Catholic* Latin Mass route, in a deliberate attempt to keep numbers down. 

*I'm not actually Catholic, so might need to work on the sincerity of my deathbed conversion.

@@The Oxford Don

That will have the opposite effect!  People appreciate a bit of substance, even the non-religious.  (Great music also Dies Irae etc).

I was at a Requiem Mass recently actually, very profound and so much better than the modern mush.  I like it how it establishes that this is serious stuff, and it seems that this motivating awareness can even transcend grief.

There was a couple of chaps brought in to sing - they did well.  It didn't occur to me until much later that they might know people in the wider music scene.   (They weren't the usual Una Voce or SSPX guys I have heard sing before, so maybe from Edinburgh).

Apparently some mob are singing in Canongate Kirk this Christmas which I am hoping to go to.

I was also at my first ever humanist funeral recently - in fact the same week as the Requiem.  Very stark contrast. 

I actually liked aspects of it - the deceased was a young woman in her 30s (a colleague) originally from Central America and it was nice to learn about her background and sadly too-short life.  Her husband (scottish) got up and spoke about his wife, which must have been very difficult - he did exceptionally well and gave a fine tribute.  She had two daughters - one in early teens and one just about 2.  

I thought the humanist service offered the bereaved family very little comfort, all the guy had to offer was to keep repeating "ah, well, she wouldn't want you to be too upset".   As the focus was all about the deceased and her relationships, I also thought it was pretty brutal for the family.  E.g. they played the song they had as the first dance at the wedding, thus surely making that forever a sad song, instead of a happy one.    

Had the humanist guy announced "and now the family will be scourged at the pillar, to further compound their misery" I wouldn't not have been surprised.  You wonder, if they really do think this is the end, what is even really the point of a funeral?

If I am lucky enough to find myself burning in Purgatory (as opposed to Hell) after death, I don't want folk talking about my life or what music I liked, but rather Masses to be offered and prayers to be said.  Get me out of here!  Or I will haunt the bastards!    :laughing:

@@The Oxford Don

That will have the opposite effect!  People appreciate a bit of substance, even the non-religious.  (Great music also Dies Irae etc).

I was at a Requiem Mass recently actually, very profound and so much better than the modern mush.  I like it how it establishes that this is serious stuff, and it seems that this motivating awareness can even transcend grief.

Right enough.

Kafflik funerals can be pretty profound with the latin and ting.

@@The Oxford Don

There was a couple of chaps brought in to sing - they did well.  It didn't occur to me until much later that they might know people in the wider music scene.   (They weren't the usual Una Voce or SSPX guys I have heard sing before, so maybe from Edinburgh).

Apparently some mob are singing in Canongate Kirk this Christmas which I am hoping to go to.

I was also at my first ever humanist funeral recently - in fact the same week as the Requiem.  Very stark contrast. 

I actually liked aspects of it - the deceased was a young woman in her 30s (a colleague) originally from Central America and it was nice to learn about her background and sadly too-short life.  Her husband (scottish) got up and spoke about his wife, which must have been very difficult - he did exceptionally well and gave a fine tribute.  She had two daughters - one in early teens and one just about 2.  

I thought the humanist service offered the bereaved family very little comfort, all the guy had to offer was to keep repeating "ah, well, she wouldn't want you to be too upset".   As the focus was all about the deceased and her relationships, I also thought it was pretty brutal for the family.  E.g. they played the song they had as the first dance at the wedding, thus surely making that forever a sad song, instead of a happy one.    

Had the humanist guy announced "and now the family will be scourged at the pillar, to further compound their misery" I wouldn't not have been surprised.  You wonder, if they really do think this is the end, what is even really the point of a funeral?

If I am lucky enough to find myself burning in Purgatory (as opposed to Hell) after death, I don't want folk talking about my life or what music I liked, but rather Masses to be offered and prayers to be said.  Get me out of here!  Or I will haunt the bastards!    :laughing:

Religious services always seem to focus too much on the superstition. I came to say goodbye to the deceased not to say hello to fucking Jesus.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

@@The Oxford Don

Fingers crossed we find out what kind of funeral you get soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1