Photo
- - - - -

Scottish Independence Referendum 2

• Please log in to reply
2422 replies to this topic

Poll: Should Scotland be an independent country? (164 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an independent country?

1. Yes (129 votes [78.66%])

Percentage of vote: 78.66%

2. No (35 votes [21.34%])

Percentage of vote: 21.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2401 OFFLINE   Poodler

Poodler

Chairman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,307 posts
  • Joined 21-February 11

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:45 AM

Fuzzy wuzzy was a woman ??

The mugshot scene is one of the finest comedy moments ever performed

#2402 ONLINE   Grays Babylon 1875

Grays Babylon 1875

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts
  • Joined 27-May 16

Posted 25 January 2020 - 02:09 AM

The mugshot scene is one of the finest comedy moments ever performed

Face the camera.

Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war. 

#2403 OFFLINE   Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 25 January 2020 - 08:44 AM

CS, you make good points on how provision of universal healthcare and welfare has improved peoples' lot immeasurably. My grandparents (the post-war generation) and parents (baby boomers) had it infinitely better than all that came before and increases in life expectancy prove that. However, millenials are the first generation in centuries to grow up poorer than their parents and have seen none of the bounty the previous two did. This is where a lot of the discontent (and uncertainties) in society emanates from, in that the future is uncertain for our young, not to mention the ticking debt timebomb.

To be clear, I am under no illusions that independence would solve all of this, but as I said I favour independence as the means to take those difficult decisions for ourselves, not have them foisted upon us by a party Scotland hasn't voted for since the 1950's - and never will again

As for Ireland, you unjustly taint it here. Not only has it long since surpassed the North (despite the latter having a head start - this was why the UK government gerrymandered the partition; to siphon off the industrial heartland of Ireland with an inbuilt Unionist majority) it is a high wage economy, with strong inward investment. Leftists can moan about the low corporation tax, but it attracts highly skilled, well-paid jobs in fields like pharmaceuticals, IT and building services. At the trades end of things, electricians and plumbers don't get out of bed for less than 28-30 Euros an hour.

"In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

“A lie can make it half way around the world before the truth has time to put its boots on” - Mark Twain

#2404 OFFLINE   Jocky Balboa

Jocky Balboa

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts
  • Joined 23-March 08

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

I would also say CS, that while you are correct in noting the huge advances in post-war society, the post-2008 climate has seen an age of austerity that has hindered a whole generation from making similar advances. It's a sobering fact that there are now people in their early 30's who, in their working lives, have only ever known an austerity-driven economy, with the uncertainties that brings. While their parents and grandparents enjoyed free education, cheap credit, generous welfare, bought their council houses for peanuts, happily retired at 65, have higher life expectancies, etc. etc. there is no such bounty for our young. Thus far, I see no convincing argument that the status quo will sufficiently address this and this is one of my concerns with political Unionism, in that it still points to the idea of punching above its weight and/or past glories, oblivious to the fact we live in different times, in an ever changing world. The status quo is simply not an option anymore and Unionists' general failure to address this, far less make a renewed case for continuing the Union, is what turns people off.

That said, I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of the YES movement. They have still not partaken in a full postmortem examination into why we lost last time (Sturgeon et al have often behaved like they won) and have edged hard left, pandering to "woke" weirdos in particular.

Something has to give on both sides.

"In an age of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

“A lie can make it half way around the world before the truth has time to put its boots on” - Mark Twain

#2405 OFFLINE   craegDAMH

craegDAMH

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 02-February 16

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:31 AM

I just get really annoyed by the bogus narrative that this is a cruel, selfish nation which leaves people to suffer in misery so the faceless "rich" can eek out another penny of profit per annum.

This isnt a cruel, selfish nation, its one of the most generous and caring nations on earth.

Im tired of hearing that if you are not to the left of Chairman Mao, you must be some kind of mean cunt who hates "the poor".

The Tories spent an entire election saying their Brexit bill was "oven ready" then as soon as they got a majority they started rewriting it, including removing a commitment to continue to help reunite lone child refugees with their families. They got defeated on this in the Lords and then they did it again.

The Tories have twice voted against a commitment to reunite lone, child refugees with their families. Twice. They are cunts.

If you continue to vote for cunts, you're a cunt.

#2406 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 17,972 posts
  • Joined 16-January 06

Posted 26 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

pretty hard to say house prices arent growing in the two Sco cities I’ve lived in (abdn & edinb)

Cutting edge analysis from a man who hasn’t lived in Scotland for 10+ years

#2407 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 03:15 PM

The Tories have twice voted against a commitment to reunite lone, child refugees with their families. 

I think they would be happy to do so, if it involved sending the lone child back to their family, as regards using the presence of a child refugee to bring a large extended family into the country (who otherwise would not qualify to settle here).

Lets not pretend there is nothing else going on here, than simply child welfare.

Even if they were cunts, they are not daft cunts.

"When you're the only sane person, you look like the only insane person." 

- Criss Jami, "Diotima, Battery, Electric Personality"

#2408 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 03:18 PM

Ireland homeless rate (10,500/4,900,000) = 0.00214286%

UK 1 in every 201 people (source big issue) = 0.00497%

I clearly said Scotland, wheres you resort to using the much bigger UK.

#2409 OFFLINE   Redforever86

Redforever86

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  • Joined 14-January 14

Posted Yesterday, 03:29 PM

I clearly said Scotland, wheres you resort to using the much bigger UK.

You don’t know how percentages work. Explains a lot you thick cunt.

#2410 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 03:31 PM

millenials are the first generation in centuries to grow up poorer than their parents and have seen none of the bounty the previous two did. This is where a lot of the discontent (and uncertainties) in society emanates from

True, but that doesn't mean they are poor. There is obviously some ceiling to wealth, we just cant keep on getting rich and richer.

I think we hit a ceiling, with my parents generation. Both worked for the state (argh)- teaching and police. They retired at 54 and 60, both on solid-gold final salary pensions.

I will have to work much longer than that, and for significantly less glamorous pension.

Retiring so young and on such an income is just fantastical, how did anyone ever think that would be sustainable? It is nonsense, even allowing for the fact that state jobs are set up to be a gravy train for those who occupy them.

My wife works for the state (argh) and her pension - while decent - will not be in the same universe as my parents. So it is changing.

So I don't feel (too) hard done by, I see that it is my parents' generation which has enjoyed obscene luck in life, rather than me being downtrodden.

a party Scotland hasn't voted for since the 1950's - and never will again

Im not so sure. Things can change. Who would have forseen the collapse of scottish labour?

As for Ireland, you unjustly taint it here.

Dont get me wrong, it does have some things doing for it, but it has very much become the land of have and have nots.

At the trades end of things, electricians and plumbers don't get out of bed for less than 28-30 Euros an hour.

Which is good for them, but not so great for the ordinary punter with a leaky pipe or dodgy circuit.

#2411 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 03:42 PM

I would also say CS, that while you are correct in noting the huge advances in post-war society, the post-2008 climate has seen an age of austerity that has hindered a whole generation from making similar advances.

Thats what I was trying to get at before.

We have state provided education, healthcare,free prescriptions, free high education, billions in various benefit payments, free eye tests, loads of council houses, clothing grants, motabiity cars, free school meals, it goes on and on and on.

With all the stuff we can list, I just don't accept we have an austere government.

I think the notion is a very much contrived political angle, seeking to capitalise on the fact that we don't appreciate these things any more.

We have things which are beyond the wildest dreams of most people on the planet, yet we grumble about austerity.

I think the real problem is the real sense of entitlement which has taken root today.

That said, I'm fully aware of the shortcomings of the YES movement. They have still not partaken in a full postmortem examination into why we lost last time (Sturgeon et al have often behaved like they won) and have edged hard left, pandering to "woke" weirdos in particular.

Good analysis and long may it continue lol

The YES movements new superstar is a drag queen called "lady rampant". FFS.

Increasingly, the movements personalities will repel normal people like garlic doth a vampire.

#2412 OFFLINE   Clydeside_Sheep

Clydeside_Sheep

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,133 posts
  • Joined 24-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 03:45 PM

You don’t know how percentages work. Explains a lot you thick cunt.

Aye I do, right?

For example, you talk shite in 75% of your posts.  In the other 25%, you are talking pish.

See?

#2413 ONLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted Yesterday, 03:50 PM

How do these fuckwits from all parties get into politics or votes.

There are so many people educated with morales and business acumen yet we vote in utter incompetence all the time.

#2414 OFFLINE   Redforever86

Redforever86

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  • Joined 14-January 14

Posted Yesterday, 04:05 PM

Aye I do, right?

For example, you talk shite in 75% of your posts. In the other 25%, you are talking pish.

See?

Here he fucking goes, Cardinal Cunto and his 21st century bible of fake news and statistics.

#2415 OFFLINE   Redforever86

Redforever86

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  • Joined 14-January 14

Posted Yesterday, 04:13 PM

How do these fuckwits from all parties get into politics or votes.

There are so many people educated with morales and business acumen yet we vote in utter incompetence all the time.

Majority of the voters are fucking mongs or cunts.

#2416 OFFLINE   craegDAMH

craegDAMH

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  • Joined 02-February 16

Posted Yesterday, 04:14 PM

I think they would be happy to do so, if it involved sending the lone child back to their family, as regards using the presence of a child refugee to bring a large extended family into the country (who otherwise would not qualify to settle here).

Lets not pretend there is nothing else going on here, than simply child welfare.

Even if they were cunts, they are not daft cunts.

The commitment to reuniting lone child refugees is to reunite lone refugee children (that is children who are alone in refugee camps) with their families that are already here. There is absolutely no commitment to do anything else.

At least have a cursory google to understand what the fuck you're talking about before you start speaking more shite

#2417 ONLINE   Grays Babylon 1875

Grays Babylon 1875

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts
  • Joined 27-May 16

Posted Yesterday, 05:33 PM

Cardinal Cunto. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war. 

#2418 OFFLINE   Studebaker-90

Studebaker-90

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts
  • Joined 09-May 18

Posted Yesterday, 10:24 PM

What a rubbish thread

#2419 ONLINE   Bluto10

Bluto10

PROUD DON!

• Members
  • 37,018 posts
  • Joined 25-January 11

Posted Yesterday, 10:44 PM

Cutting edge analysis from a man who hasn’t lived in Scotland for 10+ years

what’s the market like on the island H min

You don't give a man like Bluto a drink in those piddly little glasses. Give him the bloody bottle.

#2420 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,885 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted Today, 03:50 AM

What a rubbish thread

Above your understanding?

#2421 OFFLINE   Studebaker-90

Studebaker-90