Future Of The Club

I've coached kids at U5 through U12, moving up to U14 since that's where the loon is playing now.  (Jesus... I remember posting his newborn pic in his AFC kit on here... time flies). The difference between them up to about U10 is negligible, in fact the lassies are better up to U10 since they're less lazy and more interested in teamwork than the loons.  Once they get up to U12, though, the physical differences start to hit. 

One team I coached was full of laddies who were above average in terms of skill, with two players who (if they keep this trajectory up) will definitely play pro. They won four tournaments in a row, after losing the previous two to bigger, older teams. Anyway... 

I'm running them through drills at a local park when a coach from a lassie's team walks up and asks if I'd be willing to put my U12 team up against his U16 girls team. I knew the coach, he's the kind that always has a clipboard for taking notes and he's actually pretty good. He wanted his lassies to get in some easy practice so they could work on their attacking before tournament. I said fair enough, but not to expect too much in the way of shooting practice. He figured the smaller, 'weaker', less disciplined loons would be easy for his lassies to play against. 

By the end of the first 20 min half he was screaming at his team in rage, the score against them already into double figures and these lassies basically chasing shadows and losing their shit at one another. I forget the final score... it was ridiculous, though... and it highlighted the difference between the two genders even with loons that hadn't even started to physically develop.  Once the loons hit 16 and they're growing fluffy beards there's no point even matching females against them. 

Women's international fitba is on TV here constantly because the USWNT is so successful, but watching them makes it clear that they're wasting their time and everyone else's when they demand equal treatment for what is a far inferior product. 

Would agree it does seem to be about U10 girls are at same level, as you say, some are actually technically better.

Have they started demanding equal pay yet, like womans tennis. Ridiculous I know, but we live in ridiculous times.

They are demanding equal pay. 

It would be like Aberdeen demanding they be seeded as a top club in European competition because they won the Aberdeenshire Cup. As though the Aberdeenshire Cup is equal to the Champions League. 

Women's football is garbage... it's not comparable to professional men's football, and to pretend it is helps no-one. 

If it IS comparable then scrap it and make the women compete directly against men, justifying equal pay. 

I coached my girls side, can confirm they are not as good as boys. What a bunch of complete melts of “coaches” there out there. Under 9 girls, and folk producing iPads with tactics. What a bunch of fuckwits just give some guidance on passing and shooting etc and let them have fun.

As an aside they would have been legally happy for me to take all the girls training without any background checks whatsoever etc Fit the fuck was I supposed to do if some kid got injured. Clearly common sense would have prevailed if needed but I’m nae wanting to put myself in a position of having to ”touch”” some young girl without any witnesses.

Always made sure there was a Mum present, scary shit that you could get involved with that without any due diligence. @@Dad, @bigjockknew

• Site Sponsor

I coached my girls side, can confirm they are not as good as boys. What a bunch of complete melts of “coaches” there out there. Under 9 girls, and folk producing iPads with tactics. What a bunch of fuckwits just give some guidance on passing and shooting etc and let them have fun.

As an aside they would have been legally happy for me to take all the girls training without any background checks whatsoever etc Fit the fuck was I supposed to do if some kid got injured. Clearly common sense would have prevailed if needed but I’m nae wanting to put myself in a position of having to ”touch”” some young girl without any witnesses.

Always made sure there was a Mum present, scary shit that you could get involved with that without any due diligence. @@Dad, @bigjockknew

When I was involved in juvenile football I thought it ridiculous that the SYFA didn’t have rules in place to have background checks on those involved in coaching so we made it compulsory at our club that potential coaches had to have enhanced disclosure plus First Aid certs in addition to coaching certs.

Protection for the kids but also for the adults.

It wasn’t until several years later that the SYFA introduced compulsory disclosure requirements.

The fucking crazy thing is that once an enhanced disclosure cert is issued, if someone is subsequently “done” (or even accused) of anything improper, Police Scotland don’t contact the Club to let you know - so potentially you only find out about a dodger when you reapply for enhanced disclosure.

At least, those were the rules when I was involved - maybe changed now.

I have to renew my license once a season... they do a criminal check to make sure I'm not a felon or a paedo.  Those should be routine for anyone working around kids. 

I also have to do basic medical training for concussions, breaks, and lacerations. Those should also be routine for anyone supervising kids who are at risk of sports injuries. 

Any organisation not vetting those who will be responsible for children in their care has no right to operate, imo. 

• Site Sponsor

I think now the disclosure is done through the league who are notified.

Good to hear.

I was first involved as far back as 1996 and stopped when my Loon became age barred at 19.

In those days, effectively anyone could rock up and be a “coach”.

I made it a rule at our club that enhanced disclosure was a prerequisite which the club paid for.

At £25 a skull and with over 50+ coaches, not an insignificant sum back then.

Essential though in my view.

Good to hear that things are different now.

It's fucking shite.

A few years ago the Swedish national wummins side played against an AIK under 17 side who were a man short and they still lost.

Special shout out to the goalkeepers, truly horrific.

I'd like to have seen the goals, but I'm guessing the guys were simply stronger and faster. A simple ball over the top probably does the job. 

As someone else said though, up to under 10 level then girls - if coached right and playing just as much as boys are - could absolutely compete with them. There's no reason why they couldn't. But after that obviously guys have a physical advantage.

But it's irrelevant, because Aberdeen's women's team won't be playing against any boys team, they'll be playing against other girls teams.

Still yet to hear a good argument why Aberdeen should be doing the opposite of what every big club in the world is doing. Are people really concerned that a girls team is going to impact on the resources available to the men's team?

I'd like to have seen the goals, but I'm guessing the guys were simply stronger and faster. A simple ball over the top probably does the job. 

As someone else said though, up to under 10 level then girls - if coached right and playing just as much as boys are - could absolutely compete with them. There's no reason why they couldn't. But after that obviously guys have a physical advantage.

But it's irrelevant, because Aberdeen's women's team won't be playing against any boys team, they'll be playing against other girls teams.

Still yet to hear a good argument why Aberdeen should be doing the opposite of what every big club in the world is doing. Are people really concerned that a girls team is going to impact on the resources available to the men's team?

Exactly

Seems to be quite a few people getting hot under the collar about this unnecessarily.

As far as I can see it’s a no brainier; spend a few quid supporting a game that almost 50% of the population could get behind. And, If it doesn’t happen then nothing lost plus we will have had some good pr.

I don't really see what the fuss is either.

We spend money on things like the community work etc, it's hardly draining the funds from first team.

If people think women's football is shite that's fine, EPL fans thinks Scottish men's football is shite and that doesn't bother me so for followers of the women's game I'd guess they don't really care.

Still yet to hear a good argument why Aberdeen should be doing the opposite of what every big club in the world is doing.

You'll never hear a good argument because you have a vested interest in this.

I didn't even mention that the attendances you posted were partly down to members being given free or almost free entry. You need to look beyond the headlines.

You'll never hear a good argument because you have a vested interest in this.

I didn't even mention that the attendances you posted were partly down to members being given free or almost free entry. You need to look beyond the headlines.

Even if that's true - and all these fans that went had free tickets, it doesn't automatically mean 60,000 people will turn up for Bilbao v Madrid.

Likewise, if Aberdeen announced that their U20s games were free, it doesn't automatically mean 20,000 fans will turn up.

So the fact 60,000 turned up, shows that there's an audience there who wanted to watch women's football. No-one forced them along.

Whether I have a "vested interest" or not, you can't continue to pretend that women's football is not growing in popularity all over the world, and that there is more media interest in it, that sponsors and advertising is in the increase and more money to be made from having a successful women's team.

So the fact 60,000 turned up, shows that there's an audience there who wanted to watch women's football. No-one forced them along.

Well there was obviously more to it than that, was it the opening of a new stadium or something? How do you explain them only getting a few hundred punters any other week? Or did 60,000 fans suddenly develop a passion for woman's football? They weren't there for the football, they were there for the occasion whatever that was. Would probably have sold out with 2 teams of mascots playing each other. How many do you think attended their next match.

Well there was obviously more to it than that, was it the opening of a new stadium or something? How do you explain them only getting a few hundred punters any other week? Or did 60,000 fans suddenly develop a passion for woman's football? They weren't there for the football, they were there for the occasion whatever that was. Would probably have sold out with 2 teams of mascots playing each other. How many do you think attended their next match.

No, it wasn't the opening of a new stadium, it was just first against second and 5 euros to get in. They all came to see a game of women's football. Not sure why you're continuing to deny fans, more than once, have turned up in huge numbers to watch a game of women's football.

Their average crowd is irrelevant, because it doesn't change the above.

No, it wasn't the opening of a new stadium, it was just first against second and 5 euros to get in. They all came to see a game of women's football. Not sure why you're continuing to deny fans, more than once, have turned up in huge numbers to watch a game of women's football.

Your delusional. I'll leave it there.

• Downvote 1

Why is the average crowd irrelevant to a discussion about how popular women's football is?

• Upvote 1