Forty One Years Ago Today

• Site Sponsor

Aye, was just noting the date myself RTYD.

I believe there are a number of us on the board who would have been there that day.

Massive outsiders to beat celtic that day, but that cup winning team was packed with great players and personalities.

Long live nostalgia.

I remember it like it was yesterday. In the main stand with my Old Man, surrounded by Tims. About 8 priests at the back of the Stand, pissed and slagging off the Dons. My Old Man went up to them to ask them to quieten down. They started getting all aggressive and he offered to take each of them outside to "settle the matter". I kid you not!!!

Massive underdogs but a team who believed and a team who battled for each other

When will we see their likes again..........

Sadly I doubt it with agents and the types of players we seem to get these days.

I was there, pure and absolute euphoria. It was a huge highlight for me and the culmination of a very mixed decade of support during the 60s. Eddie Turnbull was THE man.

My first cup final and with 108,000 there not one I was ever going to forget given the result. One of my main memories was bottles and cans getting hurled over the dividing fence at us by the Celtic fans - magic.

It was my second (saw the 67 one) and it was fantastic - McKay's first goal was brilliant, the ref. was excellent (!!!) and the support unbelievable....train back to Aberdeen was the best journey I've ever taken.

• Site Sponsor

Sadly I doubt it with agents and the types of players we seem to get these days.

I was there, pure and absolute euphoria. It was a huge highlight for me and the culmination of a very mixed decade of support during the 60s. Eddie Turnbull was THE man.

Eddie is just behind Fergie in all time list of Dons managers

It was my second (saw the 67 one) and it was fantastic - McKay's first goal was brilliant, the ref. was excellent (!!!) and the support unbelievable....train back to Aberdeen was the best journey I've ever taken.

I saw that one too. Often thought we might have won it if Eddie Turnbull hadn't been ill that day.

Very true........ could also say he laid the early foundations for Ferguson. He certainly made a huge difference in the 60s when he arrived.

It shows you how great a job he done, he talked about the lack of discipline and commitment at the club when he first took over on the Stand Free DVD. Joey Harper talks so fondly of him and Ally McLeod. Great characters.

My dad has always said Billy McNeil wasn't given the credit he deserved as Aberdeen manager. He claims a lot of the players Fergie inherited were signed by McNeil. I have no idea if this is him spikin sh*t....anyone want to comment?

He's right. McNeill signed Strachan and McGhee (i think).

I was there. My first final. Was at the semi at Muirton Park too.

Can remember loads of fighting in the enclosure at the semi. Loads of bottles flying at the final.

The beggars were hot favourites to win. They were in a European Cup final the following week (I think) against Feyenoord.

Aberdeen had no fear. Went at them. Plus we had a great defence marshalled by Martin Buchan.

Also remember Harper playing keepie up with the ball while waiting at the edge of the penalty area when the beggars were having a go at the ref about the penalty we had just been awarded. It was a great moment. I was scared the ref would change his mind.

A defining moment in modern Aberdeen history. We went on to be established as a force in Scottish football (apart from (74 - 75 season).

Turnbull is just behind Fergie for me. Turned the club around.

Too many defining moments of a different sort these days :banghead:

Why was the Scots Cup final played in April?

Think the season finished around the end of the April.

It was an 18 team league which started in mid-August.

It might have been because the Home Internationals started quite quickly after the season ended.

Every game started at 3pm on a Saturday. 7.30pm on a Wednesday.

Hardly any live football apart from the internationals and European Cup finals.

Also don't recall weekends being blocked off for international qualifiers.

Them were't days.

• Site Sponsor

Think the season finished around the end of the April.

It was an 18 team league which started in mid-August.

It might have been because the Home Internationals started quite quickly after the season ended.

Every game started at 3pm on a Saturday. 7.30pm on a Wednesday.

Hardly any live football apart from the internationals and European Cup finals.

Also don't recall weekends being blocked off for international qualifiers.

Them were't days.

It must have had something to do with the 1970 World Cup in Mexico.