Thirty Five Years Ago Today

Today, to mark Gothenburg Day... and in honour of one of our greatest ever players, legendary 'Gothenburg Great', Neil Alexander Simpson... I arrived home to find this magnificent piece of merchandise waiting for me by the front door.

Tomorrow i'll be finding a suitable frame for the fella, and it'll take pride of place above my desk.

d3668f44846a50c995a2121f8d6fb957-full.jp

• Upvote 9

Today, to mark Gothenburg Day... and in honour of one of our greatest ever players, legendary 'Gothenburg Great', Neil Alexander Simpson... I arrived home to find this magnificent piece of merchandise waiting for me by the front door.

Tomorrow i'll be finding a suitable frame for the fella, and it'll take pride of place above my desk.

Where can this merchandise be purchased?

It's crazy now to think that the 83 CWC quarter-final line-up included the teams listed below. It's a who's who of modern day top table European football. Yet when the dust settled we won the competition.

Real Madrid.

Barcelona.

Inter Milan.

PSG.

Bayern Munich.

Madrid's star players were Santillana, Stielike, Metgod, Camacho, Juanito, Michel and Gallego. Only two years earlier they had been in the European Cup final.

Barca had the likes of Maradona, Schuster, Victor and Carrasco. They were the reigning CWC holders.

Inter had Bergomi, Altobelli, Zenga, Collovati, Borden, Marini and Hans Muller. 5 of those players were in Italy's 1982 World Cup winning squad.

PSG had Luis Fernandez, Safet Susic and Dominic Rochteau.

Bayern had Rummenigge, Dietmar Hoeness, Breitner, Pfugler, Augenthaler and Dremmler. Some of those guys played in the 82 World Cup final and the year before they had been in the European Cup final.

Spurs were also in the competition and they won the UEFA Cup the following season.

When you look at the depth of quality in that competition I feel winning it is just as impressive as Celtic winning the 1967 European Cup. Obviously not quite the same prestige as lifting the cup with the big ears but I'd say just as hard to win when you look at the overall quality of opposition.

Even now after all these years it still seems unreal that the last team to beat the great Real Madrid in a European final is Aberdeen FC.

• Upvote 7

A lovely piece of course but Huns shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Gothenburg.

• Upvote 1